Author Topic: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla  (Read 161251 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »
I wasn't sure if I should resurrect this or start a new thread ??? What is the ettiquette please?

Now that I have some vanilla bean pods, I'm going to make my own essence. But after reading this thread I need help please. I apologise in advance for any dumb questions.

The vodka I bought is 37.5 % alcohol not 40%, would this be OK? I bought the vodka before I read the thread properly and because it has fewer additives.
It is better to scrape the seeds out before putting the pods in the vodka or is the taste better with them in?

TIA
Gayle
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2012, 12:01:22 am »
I wasn't sure if I should resurrect this or start a new thread ??? What is the ettiquette please?

Now that I have some vanilla bean pods, I'm going to make my own essence. But after reading this thread I need help please. I apologise in advance for any dumb questions.

The vodka I bought is 37.5 % alcohol not 40%, would this be OK? I bought the vodka before I read the thread properly and because it has fewer additives.
It is better to scrape the seeds out before putting the pods in the vodka or is the taste better with them in?

TIA
Gayle

I don't think it would matter too much djinni373, and as for the pods I just split them in half and popped them in seeds and all.
Mine has been going for almost 2 years now, each time I take a small bottle out I throw in a few more pods and top it up with more vodka.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2012, 01:09:30 am »
Quite OK to resurrect a thread Gayle.  I also split mine but don't remove the seeds, I also use 37.5% vodka and put in a handful of beans.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2012, 10:53:45 pm »
Oooo i was so very sad after a year of making two bottles of this... Having to give them away to friends... Smelt divine too...  :((
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:49 am »
I make it in big batches so there is plenty to give away and plenty for me - I use a lot.

This is one project where it is important to think ahead.  Send yourself an email or mark on your calendar when to start it.

My mail program has a "To Do"  function so I can send myself an email that will be delivered in the future.  At my age getting forgetful is understandable so I use reminders...
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2012, 03:43:40 am »
I had to give it away andie as i moved back to oz.. Aussie quarantine doesnt allow that to be brought in.. So we gave ALOT away.. Food, wine,spirits, plus furniture and so much more..

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2012, 05:03:26 am »
oooh, I didn't realise making your own vanilla essence was even a possibility! How wonderful. So excited. We're FAILSAFERS so vanilla features in our diet a lot. Will definitely be making some. Which bean is best? PNG or bourbon or other? Will order tonight from ebay unless someone suggests otherwise. Also anyone recommend a brand of vodka with least additives?

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:48 am »
I think it was bourbon i got... I ordered mine from a chef online when i was in france.. From what ive seen alot order from ebay in oz..

Yep just checked it was the madagasgar bourbon vanilla beans...they were lovely!  They were also organic...but like i said in france.. Will have to find someone else for oz..

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:35 am »
thanks Realize - bourbon pods it is then! I also did a little google search and saw that the higher proof the alcohol the better and then dilute after. So I've sorted out the alcohol side of things. Will get my ingredients together & make some next weekend!

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2012, 01:31:04 pm »
Thank you Dede and JD. All done and now the wait begins :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
I do as dd does too..

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »
I make my vanilla essence like this sunce years.. And do i have a tip for you!!!  DO NOT TROW AWAY THE PODS .. 

Drie them and use them to make vanilla sugar when dried.. Just cover them with coarse sugar and let set. Keep adding pods and sugar as you go..  And if you are realy brave: Mix the completely useless pods with suggar for 1 minute , speed 10 to make a vanilla flavored powder sugar for use in egg nog, home made chocolate or whatever vanilla flavored treath u can imagine..

Streched your dollar/euro/yen/pound a long way! In times of war or economic crisis...  It saves fortunes..

A VERY GOOD quality vanille pod is bourbon, as some have mentioned is the bourbon.. Be aware though that some vanilla pods have been fortified (they have a kind of white "fungus" on them- they are considered to give the mist flavor by some, but they are not the pure vanilla pod anymore)...  So i guess bourbon would be the best value for money.. I bought mine at a food fair in brussels for 1 euro per pod (fatty, juicy sticky ones), which is cheaper then the drie stick you buy in supermakets..
Live life to the fullest

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
Great thriftiness stef. Will give this a whirl when my vanilla is ready. I bought bourbon beans and they have been soaking for a few months now.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2013, 08:40:14 pm »
Thought I would bump this once more.  I was going to make some extract for Xmas gifts last year but left it too late so will get some started soon and it should be nice and tasty by Xmas this year.  I am looking at the Vanilla Products USA site on ebay to make the purchase - this is the site Andi suggested earlier on in this thread.

Can anyone suggest where to get small bottles for decanting?  All the ones I have seen for sale are too large and I don't have a stock of any that would be small enough to use.

As I was looking at various sites to purchase the vanilla beans from, one said to seal the unused ones in three zip lock bags to keep the air out and keep in a cool, dark place.  It looked to me that a good idea (for those who have one) would be to seal them in a vacuum sealer as opposed to the three layers of zip lock bags, but either should work.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »
Marina I get our friends to save their essence bottles for me as it isn't easy finding very small bottles.  There must be some out there somewhere though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.