Author Topic: ADHD and ingredients to avoid  (Read 22647 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: ADHD and ingredients to avoid
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 03:32:04 am »
I have had a good read of the additive alert book and made note of the types of additives that are know to cause hyperactivity and behavioral problems. It will take me some time to aliminate a large amount that's in everyday foods I buy but at least I can identify them and see how that helps. Would be great to go completely medication free for him.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 03:34:32 am »
I notice significant behavioural changes in one of my sons after eating store bought bread too. Not nice stuff! Fingers crossed you find another oven soon Mandi.  :)

Golly you make me laugh Kathryn.  You are such a champion!

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 05:09:58 am »
Hi Mandi
Failsafe is a good place to start with eliminating preservatives and additives but I would recommend looking at the GAPS protocol.
(Gut and Psychology Sundrome)
A Neurologist/Doctor by the name of Natasha Campbell-McBride developed this program after curing (yes, curing) her son of autism.
It is recommended for Autism, Aspergers, ADHD and ADD.  She has worked with hundreds of patients since then.
It is heavy going and it is a big lifestyle change but there are amazing results to be had if you can stick it out. In a nutshell, the program works on the connection between the state of the patients gut and the functioning of the brain.  To anybody who hasn't researched this before, it sounds a bit foreign but once you start reading up on it you will really start to see the scientific sense in it.
There is heaps of info online, just google GAPS or Natasha Campbell-McBride.
Fermented foods make up a big part of the diet, re-establishing gut flora and healing the gut - there are lots of things that will be off the menu but your Thermomix will be a very handy tool to have in the kitchen if you follow the diet.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:12:08 am »
I have just started investigating the GAPS diet after talking to a customer of mine and then 4 days later attending Jude Blereau's work shop with Holly Davis ... seems something is trying to tell me something as I had never heard of GAPS and now I have heard it about 6 times in 2 weeks  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:40 am »
we are FS for ds, different child all together, pead thinks he would be classed as adhd in years to come without the diet.

Takes a bit to get your head around, the new fed up website has shopping lists. Bread, safeway baked in store, brumbys and bakers delight are FS if you are stuck.

Tomato, citrus, dried fruits, peppers, herbs, onion, berries, are all very high sals, which can cause adhd like reactions.

Check out allergytrain.com.au, they have the rpah hand book with all the details of every food and its rating :)

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:33 am »
I second what tarosuma said about reestablishing gut flora- super important! Also essential fatty acids super important for brain function eg, mercury free fish oil or udos  oil ( more expensive but balanced properly).

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 05:51:07 am »
The ADHD remedy is called synaptol ( sp?), my friend was able to stop her sons medication when she started using this so it's worth a shot as homeopathics don't have side effects!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:08 am »
Gee there is so much information out there in big world wide web. Been having a bit of a read ona few different sites. OMG my head is spinning. Lots of reading to do yet and see if we can have a bit of a life style change and make some improvements. ( it won't happen over night but it will happen)

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »
my husband has some laminated cards with all the bad numbers on them to avoid
it fits in your purse and is very easy to use
it take a while to read all the numbers on products on the supermarket shelves
 but once you know the product it gets easyier 
but is well worth the effort
l can send you a card if your would like just pm me your address
it has helped my son a lot
l give my son i q  tablets which help him to concentrate its like fish oil and vitamin mix
you can buy it cheaper online from pharmacy direct   

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »
feel for you dede...thankfully my kids dont have ADHD but I grew up with my brother who has severe ADHD (i say thankfully as we went through and my parents still go through alot of heartache with my brother..this does not speak for every child who ever has ADHD)..I think diet can help but only to a point...my mum spent years on and off different diets with him and medication was the only thing that helped for him but he was diagnosed at 8 which is very late as it was all new back then...true ADHD is due to a chemical inbalance in the brain which is why teh medication helps so much which Im sure you aware of...unfortunately in most cases it comes down to the individual and the severity of the illness as its primarily behavioural management (not that im telling you anything)...my brother can control himself hwen he wants to but is as impulsive as he always was and he is now in his mid 30s, he still has trouble sleeping, keeping a job etc etc...i hope you find hte answers as I know how difficult it is not only for the person who has the illness but also for family who stick by them...i hope this GAPs protocol has some answers for you...sounds promsiing as I have always heard that these illnesses are closely linked...sounds promising  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »
Agree with all that's been said so far-great to be with like minded people who know first hand what a difference diet makes to behaviour. I cringe when I see what my JP class pull out of their lunch boxes at school each day!!

Try all the diet and supplement suggestions Dede. Then check out the following websites:
www.thelisteningprogram.com
www.rhytmicmovement.com
www.movetolearn.com.au

I've had great success using these methods with children who have ADHD and ODD. All have eventually come off their medication and most have gone from being suicidal at a young age to functioning well at school and home socially and academically. It may not work for everyone but sounds as though you're prepared to give anything a try-good for you!
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:35 am »
Thanks thermie crew, Any suggestion are helping me with deciding the best way at doing things. We have started with slowly eliminating the additives that are linked with hyperactivity and behavioral problems, I brought some alternative items from the supermarket yesterday that were additive free rather than the usual items I buy. I'm know it will take some time but slowly we will get there and hopefully see some improvements. The best part is that DS is really keen to give the diet change a go as well as he hates feeling like he is different at school.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:45 am »
Advice is not forthcoming on this topic Dede, but I have seen the suffering in families and for the individual  if the condition is not managed.  I can only offer virtual hugs and thoughts for you and your precious family.  :)  :)l
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:15 am »
Thank you Robyn, But I cant complain as ADHD is the worst condition we have in our family. There is so much worse conditions that parents have to deal with where there is no cure or diet that will ever make things better. I am just so grateful that I have happy healthy children. I have a lot of compassion for those who deal with a lot worse problems than ours.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:02 am »
My DS 7 was diagnosed with ADHD last year. I always knew he had it, but because he is well behaved and well mannered, everyone thought I was mad. He has just never stopped since he was born. He is on the go 24 hrs a day.

After he was diagnosed I started changing the way our family eats. I downloaded the numbers to avoid card on Fedup website, laminated it, and gave it to my husband, mother and mother in law. It defiantely helps. One day our lovely school decided to reward with children with GREEN icypoles  >:( That night I had tantrums and things been thrown around the house. I have never given my son anything brightly coloured and it sure tested the theory that colours in foods affect behaviour. He also won the book parade last year, and his prize was a small block of Dairy Milk Chocolate which of course he ate straight away. That night my DS had terrible night terrors.

I found that he still needs Ritalin to help him conentrte at school. I only give it to him in the morning as I found he couldn't sleep when having a tablet at lunch time. I also give him Eye Q tablet in the morning.

The diet has helped change his behaviour but not his hyperactivity. Haven't done the full RPAH elimination diet or gone totally failsafe and would love to onow how you go on it if you decide to try it.

Good luck hun, I know how you feel and what you are going through.

My thoughts are with you through this journey.

DG xxxxx

Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate