Author Topic: ADHD and ingredients to avoid  (Read 22645 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
ADHD and ingredients to avoid
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:34:20 pm »
My 13 year old DS was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 3 and has been on and off medication ever since, I have taken them off him a few times over the years to see if they really do make a difference or not (OMG they definitely did).
I know there is a lot of people who totally disagree with medication but when you see your child suffering at school, with his friends and family because they just cant control their behavior then medication some times becomes a necessity.

Anyway as my DS has become a teenager the only medication he can have is now causing him to have constant headaches and migraines even on the lowest dose so I have come to the decision to take him off them and concentrate on his diet to try and help with his behavior problems.

I really need to do something as his school and social life really suffer when he is misbehaving and not concentrating.

Anyones help with what to avoid and how to substitute foods would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Mandi
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: ADHD and ingredients to avoid
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:15 pm »
Dede, sorry cant help you there but
BIG HUGS
Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:53 pm »
I have no advice except to google & read as much as you can on this matter but to also seek help from the professionals who have obviously been treating your DS all this time. It may be time to try something different though and perhaps see a Naturopath in relation to this Mandi?  Good luck with whatever you can find to help your DS.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »
The failsafe families on the forum may be able to assist with some resource suggestions for you Mandi. The failsafe elimination diet involves placing your child on a restricted diet and gradually reintroducing food and monitoring the child for reactions to the food. It involves a huge committment but is the only way that I am aware of to really see if your son is reacting to food and which foods they are. Sometimes it can be natural goods such as grapes or tomatoes that trigger the difficult behaviour.  Generally though just avoiding refined sugar and preservatives, flavours, colours etc will all help him.  Good luck Mandi!  :)

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:53 pm »
Mandi, I'm not much help either, as I have no personal experience with ADHD. I can only try to imagine what you and your poor boy go through :(

My son is only 2 (will be 3 in November), but I am very conscious of what he eats as I notice a big change in his behaviour when he's had preservatives & additives. My daughter never reacted like this, so it was a bit of a learning curve - and the TMX has been a tremendous help in this.

So, I can only tell you what I do - and perhaps it could be a starting point for you. I really love Julie Eadie's book "Additive Alert" & in it is a little yellow card that I now carry in my wallet & refer to it when I'm grocery shopping.

I've never tried to include a photo in my posts, so I'll give it a go now, so you can see this yellow card with the main "nasties" to avoid.

I am not trying in any way to say this is the answer... Just thought I'd post it & perhaps it could be something you could look into. I just can't imagine how difficult ADHD must be for the whole family.

I wish you all the best,
Karen

Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »
Thanks Chelsea. That's about what I thought I might have to do. Willbe really hard for him but I think it could be a big help. He suffers depression as well when he's not on the medication because he gets insolvent much trouble and his friends dis own him. And I have noticed it's got worse as he gets older.

And Karen thank you. I actually have that book and forgot about it. I got it when I brought my TM.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:28:40 pm »
Dede just be careful how you stop the meds, i know you will . Big hugs and kiss for him 
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »
Failsafe to start, then we also did gluten free and dairy free.  We tried Ritalin, but it has both gluten and dairy in it and the result was a child on speed who ran everywhere and stuttered because he was talking so quickly.  We have been living by the FedUp and RPA Friendly Food books for about 3 years.  Yes it can be tough but DS is accepting because of how much better he feels.  Also, find yourself an understanding and supportive dietician.  I have been experimenting with failsafe recipe's and must start posting some!  Thermomix has been a life saver!!!  Goodluck ....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »
Good luck to you and your son dede. I have taught children with ADHD and know how difficult life can be.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:43:55 pm »
So glad for you dede that there is forum members, with the same understand with what you are going through. not glad but you know what i mean 
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 02:00:32 pm »
Thanks guys, I think I have a better understanding already about what failsafe is. And as for the medication he is on a real low dose at the moment as the higher dose was causing a lot of head aches, but sadly he seems to be suffering to many on the low dose as well now.
The doctor did mention giving him a preventative for the migraines as well as his ADHD medication at the same time but I'm not keen on that. And as he is nearly 14 he should grow out of it (Or learn to deal with it) pretty soon. I just don't want him to suffer at school.
  Lots of reading and research coming up for me I do think, And another appointment to see the Paediatrician.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:34:06 pm »
Dede one of the main triggers for my DS (17yo) is shop bought bread. I know as soon as he comes home if he has eaten it at a friends place. He too has been on and off meds over the years. Back on a very low dose to get us through years 11 & 12. He comes off them for holidays - just so I can tear my hair out a little more  :D

He gets insomnia generally on his meds so they wanted to put him on a sleeping tablet as well  :o :o NO THANK YOU - lets just give him uppers for the day and downers for the night  :(

I think you will find it will just be a case of trial and error as you go but definitely you are doing the right thing already by avoiding preservatives and additives in general.

Remember we are always here for you  :-* :-*

Oh and when you really feel like you want to knock him into next week- just so you can have a break ... just mutter under your breath... there is a reason some animals eat their young! Generally makes me giggle every time  :-* :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:53 pm »
Wouldn't you love to know just what is in shop bought bread. Since making all my own my husband barely snores however if he buys some when out I know all about it.
Good luck Mandi,I guess it comes down to trial and error. So easy when you know exactly what to eliminate.
Denise

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:46 pm »
Parenting certainly can be hard at times that's for sure. But I guess it all just comes down to we want to do the best for our kids. And I think all parents deserve a reward if their kids make it to adult hood without killing them. (or eating them lol)
Interesting note about the bread. Even more reason I need a new oven.

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:37:15 am »
Failsafe is probably a good idea! I would definatly avoid all food additives, especially supermarket bread! Wheat, dairy and sallicylates and sugar can have huge impact on behavior too, mu son is not ADHD but behaves like he is if consumes these foods so I imagine they would probably effect a child with ADHD as well. There is also a natural homeopathic ADHD remedy that friends of mine have had success with I will find out what it is called and get back to you. It might be worth seeing a good kinesiologist as they can test to see what foods are effecting your son and also can do exercises etc to help with left right brain integration, concentration and learning issues!