Author Topic: Vanilla Paste recipe anyone?  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Vanilla Paste recipe anyone?
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:40:55 am »
Does anyone know how to make Vanilla paste? I have googled & can't really find a recipe. The ingredients on the bought one (from memory)include: Vanilla Bean seed, vanilla extract,sugar & thickener.
I bought about 250g of vanilla pods & have made Vanilla Extract (brewing nicely in the bottom pot drawer)and also vanilla sugar but would like to utilise the rest.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Paste recipe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:09:07 am »

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:21:52 am »
Thanks Snoozie. I did see that one but it will only keep for a week. Maybe it's the sugar and alcohol in the bought one that acts as the preservative.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:29:11 am »
could you freeze it to make it keep longer? *shrug*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:42 pm »
Thanks Snoozie. I did see that one but it will only keep for a week. Maybe it's the sugar and alcohol in the bought one that acts as the preservative.

Think you're right - should be able to freeze it - but difficult to use it.  May be worth adding some vodka or brandy to the mix to help act as a preservative?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:03:41 am »
Has anyone made vanilla bean paste yet? If so how did it go? I would love to make some!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:28 am »
I hade a look at the site
why not dry and grid the bean which takes the longest  and only add the corn syrup when needed
i will be trying this method. i have 17 beans left and no grinder will  TM  grind them or do i need more
thanks
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:57 am »
Wouldn't want to use Corn syrup, horrible stuff! Wonder if it would work with rice malt syrup?

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:47 am »
As far as I'm aware, corn syrup is not particularly nasty - it is just a sweetener.  The issues that have brought it into disrepute are the fact that it is used so very much in processed foods in the US, thus raising the amount of sugar in people's diets without them really understanding that this is happening.  The extremely high use of corn in HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), as a replacement fuel source and as cattle feed for feed-lot cattle has also had a major - detrimental - impact on farming in the US.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:04 am »
Andie posted this in another thread
Vanilla Paste

First, split, chop and crush the beans – I use a granite mortar and pestle.

Place them in a jar and barely cover with glycerin, very good for extracting flavor from the beans.
I use a combination of - 8 Mexican, 4 Bourbon or Madagascar and 2 Tahitian - beans. The combination is because the various types have different flavor components and a blend gives a better overall taste.
Personally, I can do without the Tahitian because they are a bit too “perfumy” for my taste but some people like it.

Soak the beans in the liquid for 4-6 weeks.  Stir the mixture from time to time with a non-reactive spoon – I use one of the large “cooking” chopsticks.

Or you can use the bean with which you have made vanilla extract.

After the soaking period:
Put the beans and the liquid through a food grinder with a very fine die. I use a poppy-seed grinder as most food grinders, unless you can find one of the old ones with a nut-butter disk, won't grind finely enough. (This is a hand-cranked device, not electric.)

If you have or have access to one of the Indian stone mill grinders, it will work very well to work the mass into a smooth paste.  I borrowed one to test it (Butterfly 3-stone wet grinder) and it took 22 minutes to get 1/2 a liter to the consistency I wanted. 
Smooth but slightly runny. 

!!Do not use a blender – I've tried it and the results are not good, the fibers in the bean husks do not get chopped as fine as with the "mill."  I used my Vita-Mix, which usually does an excellent job and I still had the tiny fibers in the mass. 

Use a tablespoon or so of hot water to rinse as much of the residue from the mill as possible, add it to the paste, and spread it over the bottom of an enamelware or stainless steel skillet over very low heat stirring and folding it periodically with a silicone spatula until it has thickened to a paste consistency, i.e., when scraped off the bottom, it should stay in place, not collapse back into a puddle. Commercial pastes include thickeners but I prefer not to use them, even the "organic" ones.

Store tightly sealed in an opaque glass or porcelain jar with the least amount of "head space" - do not store in metal, plastic or in crockery containers.

I want to add that made this way, this is halal and can be used by Muslims.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.