Author Topic: Sour Dough Crackers  (Read 3422 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Sour Dough Crackers
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:44:40 am »
I love how tasty these crackers are, so will post this recipe. I have not converted it to the TM, it is very easy, and I don't have my TM at present. I am thinking when we go caravaning these will be easy to do. This recipe is from Rebecca of Cake Walk, who followed Sarah from Kitchen Stewardship.

Sour Dough Crakers - makes LOTS

1 c. discard sourdough starter
1/4 c. melted coconut oil (or butter, olive oil)
1/2 t. kosher salt, plus more for top
1/2 - 1 c. whole wheat flour
olive oil for brushing the tops

Directions
Combine starter with coconut oil and salt and stir well to combine. Begin to add whole wheat flour, starting with 1/2 c., and stir or use your hands to start kneading it in. Continue adding enough flour to create a sturdy dough that is smooth and not sticky, but don't add so much as to make it dry.

Form the dough into a ball, place in a clean bowl, and cover well with cling wrap. Let stand at room temperature for at least 7 hours before rolling out into crackers, or storing in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Preheat oven to 350. Divide the dough in 3 pieces. Working with the first piece, roll the dough as thin as you like. I rolled them very thin. Roll on a silicone baking mat or roll between two sheets of parchment paper.

Use a pizza cutter to slice the crackers into squares or rectangles, and transfer the sheet to a baking pan. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the cut crackers with olive oil and sprinkle with additional kosher salt. Nice also with garlic, dry herbs and ground pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of your crackers.

The crackers puff up and are crispy, very moorish. Should keep for a few weeks in an airtight container. Mine are in 2 glass jars- dont expect them to last for 2 days  :-))

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sour Dough Crackers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:06:05 am »
I am in the process of feeding my starter up to make Chookie's new bread. I think I will give these a try too. As you say, easy to convert.
Are they easy to roll out?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:30 am »
Cookie, I found them very easy to roll out thinly. I just sprinkled with flour, and used a rolling pin. They don't cut neatly with a knife, but very good cuts with a pizza cutter. So easy! Hardest part was transferring the paper to the baking sheet - that's why I changed it to do in 3 pieces. Two pieces was too large for my oven.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:42:45 am »
Thanks Elle,  another good one for SD.  Love the bit in the recipe where it calls for discard starter.  No such thing here!

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:18:15 am »
No such thing here either. You taught me  no such thing as discard SD Chookie   ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:26:07 am »
Ooh, thank you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/