Author Topic: Chicken Fried in Dry Coconut Sambal( with photo )  (Read 7072 times)

Offline leon9

• View Profile
Chicken Fried in Dry Coconut Sambal( with photo )
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:25:33 pm »
           Chicken Fried In Dry Coconut Sambal (Ayam Kalasan Berseri)          
Adapted from http://cherryonacake.blogspot.com/2011/08/chicken-fried-in-dry-coconut-sambal.html      

1 chicken (1.9kg) cut into 10 parts                   1 tsp salt
1 grated coconut (about 3 cups)                      1 ½ Tbs sugar
1 cup water                                                 5 kaffir lime leaves  
½ cup oil                                                    4 bird eye chilly (optional)

Wet Paste                                                             Dry spices
6 lemon grass                                                   3 Tbs coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder                                        2 Tbs peppercorns
1  thumbsized pc ginger

Dry fry spices inTM at Varoma/8 min/ Sp3 till fragrant. Cool slightly and grind spices at Sp 10 till fine. Add in lemon grass and ginger, grind till fine, then add in turmeric powder to make a paste.

Put wet paste and dry spices into a wok, add in water, salt and sugar. Mix well before stirring in the grated coconut. Put in kaffir lime leaves and chillies if using. Bring to a boil before adding in the chicken pieces. Cook chicken till ¾ done. Remove chicken pieces, shaking off as much coconut and spice mixture as possible, before spraying on some oil and grilling till golden brown.

Meanwhile fry coconut & spice mixture till fairly dry. Add in oil and continue frying till dry and golden brown. Coat chicken pieces in coconut & spice mix before serving.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:38:55 pm by leon9 »

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Fried in Dry Coconut Sambal( with photo )
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »
Yummy recipe. I bet it was delicious.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:32:21 pm »
This would smell so nice. Sadly my DH won't eat coconut, but I may give it a try  when we have visitors.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »
Looks yummy... Will try :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline leon9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 07:02:39 am »
Do give it a go. This is a less oily version and goes well with our local nasi ulam (herbal rice i.e. white rice mixed with a medley of finely julienned leaves of vietnamese mint, kaffir lime, coriander, turmeric, thai basil and whatever aromatic leaves together with some finely sliced lemon grass(tender part only)/ torch ginger and the list goes on. I often make do with whatever happens to be growing in the garden and certainly have not used all of the above at one go ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:14:30 am »
Yum Léon that sounds even better... On my list this week :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »
Does the coconut have to be fresh or would desicated or shredded coconut be okay Leon? I would love to try the but fresh coconut would be hard to source.
From Perth WA

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:20 pm »
Does the coconut have to be fresh or would desicated or shredded coconut be okay Leon? I would love to try the but fresh coconut would be hard to source.
Looking at the method, it should be fine to use desiccated coconut.

I use desiccated coconut when I make kerisik, an essential ingredient in Malaysian rendang. The coconut is fried till brown and aromatic.