Author Topic: Gert's Beer Ass Chicken  (Read 16829 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Gert's Beer Ass Chicken
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:30:36 am »
Gert's Beer Ass Chicken

1    Chicken
1    Can Beer of your choice
Fresh or dried herbs of your choice

Open beer. Drink  1/2
Put a pinch or two of herbs into can.

Take washed and dried chook to the can and sit on top spreading legs so chicken stands up. Carefully take can with chicken on top and place in BBQ proof pan.

Put on BBQ  using indirect heat. In other words with one burner on  and  not underneath the chook.

The temp may be around 160  so cook until done maybe one hour for a small chook and longer for bigger chooks.

This can also be done in the oven.

It  can also be done with cider or wine but I find  beer is best.

See also the beer ass duck . I have done this with Turkey.  There are endless variations and really no recipe just a method of cooking.

Google it for more sophisticated  recipes .

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Gert's Beer Ass Chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
Hi Gert, I don't drink the stuff but I have tried a coke ass chicken, it was quite nice as the skin caramalised from the high sugar content. Nowhere near as much fun as drinking half the beer can first!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
Gert, if this is half as good as the Duck,  I will try it.   Looks great in photo,  Thanks.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »
Yup I have heard of coke ass as well. I guess you would have to use high octane and not diet coke to get the caramelisation . Yum.

This recipe is so easy I don't know why ppl roast a chook in the oven lying down. When I have done a turkey this way I bake the stuffing in the BBq as well and take some of the juices from the turkey pan to drizzle over  it so it does not dry out.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:35:55 pm »
Gert looks awesome - but I'm sure that cooked chooken is flipping you the "bird" ... his wing looks like a finger!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:50:40 am »
May as well add another couple of fowl as well.

This is a duck.

I might have put some plumb sauce on this one. Hence the colour

Gert
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:46:05 am by Gertbysea »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:43:10 am »
gretch what happens inside the can? does it fizz up and boil and sort of baste the chicken slowly from the inside? do you put potatoes or anything around the can in the dish? (or now I think I can see on the side you have some veges in a separate dish)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:53 am »
gretch what happens inside the can? does it fizz up and boil and sort of baste the chicken slowly from the inside? do you put potatoes or anything around the can in the dish? (or now I think I can see on the side you have some veges in a separate dish)

Yup that is what it is all about. The beer or wine or cider or coke or whatever heats up, steams and bastes the chicken from the inside while the fat drains away from the chook into the pan below. Of course the beer overflows as well so not advisable to put veggies in there with it if you want them roasted. You can see I have a special Beer Ass Chicken thingy  which only is big enough to capture the liquid. Got it at BBQs Galore.

Cooking it this way you can be sure it is cooked evenly, is moist on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Same thng can be done in the oven that is why I thought it might be a thought for the Weekend.

Get

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:04 am »
I have been wanting to try ths ever since I saw a contestant on masterchef do ths. It looked so yum.

I have a chicken in the freezer too :)

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:17 am »
I have been wanting to try ths ever since I saw a contestant on masterchef do ths. It looked so yum.

I have a chicken in the freezer too :)

I must have missed that one. Was it a winner?

Gert

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:30 am »
Yes, he won the round :)

Hope we are having this at MR

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:43 am »
I must try this, but I may have to drink the ½ can of beer the afternoon before as I am not a big beer drinker. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:16 am »
I must try this, but I may have to drink the ½ can of beer the afternoon before as I am not a big beer drinker. :-\

Cookie1 why not try it with 1/2 a can of coke?  I never have but I have read about it.  You could also use cider in a can or wine. I have used both. Any can will do and you and you can fill it with your pleasure. You can always just dump 1/2 a can down the sink.

Gert

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 08:44:36 am »
am giving this a try tonight. I got the tray at BBQ's galore $35. On the front box picture they have the vegetables under the chicken, and there are holes for the fat to drain out of. I don't really want the fat to run down into bbq as it will probably catch alight next time we cook or something so I will have a drip tray set up. Am really looking forward to it. My DH will gladly drink 1/2 can of beer.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 08:52:36 am »
I  don't know what sort of tray you have but the been will,overflow into the dish as well. So set the whole thing in a dish to collect the drippings .

Gert