Author Topic: Orange Squash / Cordial  (Read 45670 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Orange Squash / Cordial
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:20:27 pm »
3 medium sized juicy oranges, well scrubbed
1 lemon, unwaxed, well scrubbed
water
250g sugar
1 tsp citric acid

Method:

1.  Remove peel from each end of the fruit

2.  Cut oranges into 4, and lemon into 2, and put into TM bowl.

3.  Add water up to the 1 litre mark.  Cover MC lid with a cloth and press Turbo button 3 times for 1 second each, until fruit is roughly chopped.  Strain through the internal steamer basket into a jug.  (NB  keep the chopped fruit leftovers to make Fruit Spread - see recipe under jams and chutneys)

4.  Rinse TM bowl and pour back in the strained juice.  Add the sugar and heat 5 minutes / 90oC / speed 2

5.  Add the citric acid and mix 5 seconds / speed 4

6.  Bottle in sterilized bottles, label and store in the fridge.  Dilute to serve.

This recipe is taken from the UK book "Fast and Easy Cooking".  I also make it with lemons (you're going to ask me how many, aren't you?  I just throw in what looks right.  Ummm, 5?).  My husband's favourite is the orange.  My daughter and I prefer the lemon.  Haven't tried lime as yet, but surely that would be good too?  It makes about 1 litre of squash.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Orange Squash / Cordial
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:40:50 pm »
Thanks, sounds so easy and good.  I have borrowed a copy of the UK book for TM21 and it is much better than Aussie book.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:45:47 am »
Thanks for that Caroline.
I made a similar cordial years ago and promptly lost the recipe.
I will definitely be giving this one a go soon! :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:27:01 am »
Caroline, it is 41C (roughly translated to degrees F - b****y hot!!) here in Adelaide today and this cordial is going down a treat!!
Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:55:54 am by judydawn »
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:13:05 am »
Amanda, that is HOT. You poor things. At least it didn't get that hot here.  Adelaide seems to be a fairly hot place.  I hope it's cooler for you tomorrow. 
Use your thermomix to make yourself some nice cool fruit sorbets.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:22:00 pm »
Caroline, it is 41C (roughly translated to degrees F - bloody hot!!) here in Adelaide today and this cordial is going down a treat!!
Thanks for sharing.
Poor Amanda!  We had temperatures like that in Germany the summer I was pregnant with my daughter - it was killer, so I really feel for you.  Glad the squash is helping, at least!!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:58 pm »
We'd be happy with 41F right now, but 41C ????  Ugh...  I'm much happier with extreme cold than extreme hot.  Is it humid there too?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:42 pm »
supposed to be 37'c here today, rarely gets over 40 here thank goodness.

hope you are all survivin the heat
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »
We'd be happy with 41F right now, but 41C ????  Ugh...  I'm much happier with extreme cold than extreme hot.  Is it humid there too?

No we don't do humidity at all here - thank goodness, because I just can't bear it (and it makes my very curly hair go frizzy!).
For example, we are expecting more very hot weather on the weekend with anticipated humidity levels of around 16-20%.
Actually, we don't seem to do H2O much at all around here at the moment  as the drought has us firmly in it's grip. :'(

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:00 am »
At least you have hair   :o

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 05:54:47 am »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:33 am »
LOL!!

amanda, when i go to humid places it makes my (naturally) straight hair have a ringlet - just one, right in my forehead (yes, like the rhyme lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:04:38 am »
i couldnt survive without my John Frieda frizz ease!

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:44 am »
I made this for the kids using the skin on, they complained that it had too much acid/skin taste?
It's not quite as strong ( acid taste ) the next day, is it the skin on or the citric acid giving that taste?
Will the acid taste go away if I leave it in the fridge a bit longer?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:31 am »
Hi Deeau, I make the one in the EDC book (called lemonade about page 26 I think) and it doesn't have the citric acid and all my kids love it - so think it may be the citric acid.

Have made it with one orange, one lemon and one lime, or a mix of orange and lemon, just go with what you have. One thing to remember if you make things like this with the whole orange, the pith will make it bitter within about 24 hours. We have found that you can freeze it in ice cubes and just add them to the glass and fill up with sparkling mineral water or just cold water for a great drink.

Hope this helps your kids like it as it's a great alternative to cordial  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!