Author Topic: Buying a TM Secondhand?  (Read 10016 times)

Offline kyton

• View Profile
Buying a TM Secondhand?
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:24 am »
Just wondering if anyone had purchased a TM second hand? Have seen one advertised locally for a few hundred dollars less then retail.

The owner told me it is only 12mths old and is an Australian model. Would you consider buying it at all? What would you do to allay any doubts?

Thank you
Kylie

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: Buying a TM Secondhand?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57:31 am »
For only a few hundred dollars I probably wouldn't bother. It's not worth the peace of mind you get with the warranty and the consultant support. I guess it depends on how much the saving is.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
That's a difficult one. Depends how much you save on a new purchase. If this person is selling it because the don't use it I guess it wouldn't of had much use over the last year. If you can't afford a brand new one then if you comfortable buying second hand then go for it. The TM really are built well and don't seem to have many issues.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:32 am »
Can only second Twitterpated's comment - especially now as they've saying on ebay that the warranty is not transferable.  I think it's a case of deciding how far you're willing to gamble . . . . . Frankly, I'd prefer to pay the little extra and make sure I have the warranty and support.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:06 am »
I agree- for the sake of a couple of hundred, better to go with a new one. Even though the machines are great, you still want peace of mind after forking out such a lot of money that if anything does go wrong, you haven't bought a dud and can get things fixed if necessary.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:49:44 am »
Thanks for your comments everyone. I can afford a new one but part of me is still "balking" at paying full price. DH especially bargains on every purchase we make and it has rubbed off onto me over the last 23yrs LOL.
Kylie

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:37:04 am »
was it a TM21 or TM31.
I purchased a second hand TM21 for Mum, and no problems at all.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:21 am »
Robyn it was a TM31.
Kylie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:08 am »
A new one has a 2 year warranty and a second hand one carries no warranty to you at all.
I think everyone has misgivings re the price of the machine. After you have had it for a month or two you know it is well worth it. Initially I thought 'what have I done?'. I made myself use it as I didn't want to admit to DH that it may be a waste of money. It was the best thing I could have done.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:33:36 am »
Up to you, it depends on why they are selling it, and what condition it is.
If its just a couple of hundred $$, or is it $1000 off.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:13:55 am »
I have a second machine and it is secondhand.  I use it for TMX bread classes.  It has not been used much.  Although I have not had any problems with either machine,  I would not be prepared to risk a secondhand one,if I only had one machine. 

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 05:25:56 am »
I know this is an old thread but I was searching for an answer to my question. 

I'm going to buy a secondhand Tm31. I want a second machine and I'm happy with the tm31 but don't want the new t5

How do I identify an australian model and how do I make sure it's not an overseas model?
I do the best I can

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 06:09:10 am »
No idea!

I'd ask to see the invoice they received for Aus HO from when they purchased the TM31.  Check the serial number on the invoice is the same as the machine.

I'd ask to see their invoice as proof of purchase anyway, so you can be sure the TM31 is the age they say it is.

I'd only want to buy a TM31 that was purchased from Aus HO, wasn't all that old and had only had one owner.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 06:30:09 am »
thats good advice Katie, at least the invoice would back up how old they say it is. Isn't there something to do with the serial numbers and having a green seal too?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 09:50:03 am »
Thanks ladies.

Good advice.  Yes one owner, has the original docket. Has green seals but I'm ok with that.  The service number tells you the age.  First two digits is the year of manufacture. Next two digits is the week of the year. Last four digits is the number in the run.

I do the best I can