Author Topic: Recipe review - Thai fishcakes - Seafood bounty cookbook (Australia)  (Read 6074 times)

Offline kniki

• View Profile
Recipe Name:  Thai Fish Cakes

Book Name: Seafood Bounty (Australia)

Tweaking details:  I added 2 eggs because the mix didn't look like it would hold together, but then it was too runny so I added a few heaped dessertspoons of buckwheat flour.  I used gluten free flour instead of wheat flour, and pumpkin instead of sweet potato (only because I had lots of pumpkin that needed using up).  I reduced the curry paste to 1 heaped dessertspoon as I was worried it might be too spicy for my kids.

Review:  The flavour of the fishcakes was fantastic.  They were a little dry, probably because I put in too much extra flour.  I wonder if anyone has made them exactly to the recipe and if they were fine?

Score: 4 out of 5*
I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
Re: Recipe review - Thai fishcakes - Seafood bounty cookbook (Australia)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:36:38 pm »
I'm bumping this one...

DH made the batter last night - I looked at it and said it looked a bit runny and couldn't see how the cakes would hold together.  Well, in short, it was very difficult to make the cakes.  We ended up making them quite small just so we could turn them over.

didn't do any tweaks, but this recipe needs some attention.  They tasted great, but I wouldn't replicate this recipe - far too much trouble.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:54:44 am »
Funny, last night I was looking through that book as I have not made one thing from it yet in almost 2 years.  Comparing the Thai Fish Cakes with other recipes off the internet, it seems to me you can leave out the coconut cream and flour, add an egg and a bit of cornflour or flour to bind as most of the net recipes do.  If you want to make them I suggest you make small changes after checking out these recipes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »
We eat a lot of fish and seafood so I was considering ordering this book but I'm not going to bother now given the reviews on this forum. Thanks everyone for saiving me some $$. I might buy Alyce Alexander's book instead.
From Perth WA

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
MEP, you can't go wrong buying Alyce's book - I love it.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:02 pm »
MEP, you can't go wrong buying Alyce's book - I love it.
I second that Kezza. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:59:34 am »
Thanks for the advice, consider it sold :-)

I'll order it tonight. I'm not very good at waiting for parcels to arrive so wish I could get it from a local bookshop. A few days after ordering Tenina's book, I saw it for sale at the local bookstore where I do my grocery shopping all the time. Hence, had I known, I could have saved myself the postage cost. Oh well.
From Perth WA