Author Topic: Sneaky macaroni cheese review- TMX Cooking for your baby & Toddler  (Read 6527 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

This is a review of the above recipe from the annoyed thyroid May 18th 2013

I made it but left the lid off when I was heating the milk and flour mixture! It was a bit bland, (well, it was from a baby and toddler book) but with lots of seasoning it was quite tasty. Better cold the next day though!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline AussieMum2Boys

• View Profile
This is on my to make list. Thanks for the review! Might add some of the vege stock for a lift?
Wife and working mama to 2 gorgeous little boys (3yo L1  and 1yo L2) from Sydney, Australia.

Newbie Thermomix enthusiast and a Seasoned food lover.. a match made in heaven! <3

Follow me on twitter and instagram! @AussieMum2Boys

Offline misskalypso

• View Profile
Re: Sneaky macaroni cheese review- TMX Cooking for your baby & Toddler
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »
I've made it twice now.  The first time I had no cauli, so I used broccoli instead, and it tasted quite nice with a bit of salt. 

Tonight I used cauli, and it was soooo bland.  My hubby wouldn't eat it!  My 1, 2 & 4 year olds all enjoyed it though (but they also enjoyed it with the broc).

Do you think you could add tuna or corn or anything else to it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »
That sounds a good idea to me misskalypso.  I haven't got the book yet so I don't know what ingredients are being used but is there enough sauce to take up the addition of some tuna?

Thanks for your very first posting and welcome to the forum.  Please do pop over to the home page if you have time and post in Introduce Yourself so that our members can formally welcome you.

*suzanne*

definitely add tuna or chicken the problem I often found with baby and toddler cookbooks was the lack of flavour in recipes

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:58:40 am »
Tried this today for big kids who eat their vegies and like a bit more flavour (ie me and Mum  ;))

I did half the recipe which made 4 serves for us which included one each for the freezer.  I did add more milk in the sauce quantity (an extra 150g) though to cover for the extra addition of some diced chicken schnitzel which gave this dish a nice flavour hit each time a piece ended up in my mouth.  I left the vegies in chunks and when making the sauce I added 1/2 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp vegie stock concentrate, a tblspn chopped parsley and some S & P went in when the chicken was added.

Thoroughly enjoyed this meal and it's open to variations with the vegies and flavour boosters.  A great way to hide vegies for those of you who have fussy kids but if they eat them then I feel the pureeing step is unnecessary.

There is a whole chicken schnitzel in there somewhere and believe me, it tasted better than it looks in my photo.  I'd never get a job photographing food  ;D

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:05:17 am »
We enjoyed this.  I dished my macaroni mix into ramekins & topped them with breadcrumbs (that had some parmesan mixed in).  Drizzled with a bit of oil & baked until bubbling.  They definitely needed seasoning though.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »
I actually quite liked this, with extra seasoning of course, and would happily make it again.

Offline finitey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:40:28 am »
Made this dish for my 22 month old and he LOVED it!! I added the optional ham and will include peas next time just to add some visible vegetables. I couldn't believe how many vegetables went into this. I froze this for my son and if we were having it as a family meal I would definitely add seasoning as I think the dish was a little bland. Will also add slightly less flour next time as you could taste it in the dish. However it was still delicious and very well received by the son 😊 will be a regular for him!

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »
Made this tonight for my 16 month daughter, who happily ate it. Agree it's a bit bland & will add flavourings next time, also won't purée the vegetables as much.  Plenty left over for the freezer & halving the recipe would have been plenty for us.