Author Topic: Does using the Varoma affect a recipe in the bowl?  (Read 6301 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Does using the Varoma affect a recipe in the bowl?
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:19 am »
I made risotto tonight; a recipe I've done a few times without problems, but this time I decided to use the 15 minutes cooking time to steam some veggies in the Varoma. When I poured out my risotto, there was a thick crust of rice stuck in the bottom. This had never happened before, so I'm suspecting that using the Varoma might change some variables of the bowl, like cooking time or heat. Any thought on this?
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Does using the Varoma affect a recipe in the bowl?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:46:30 am »
Basically Varoma temp keep the heating element on all the time so you would over cook things - one option is to use a higher speed and more liquid for some recipes, but not so good with risotto.

If you want to cook a casserole or soup type dish and steam things on top then extra liquid and higher speed will work.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:31:00 am »
Good to know, thanks

In this particular case though, the recipe already required Varoma temp, so all I did was replace the small plastic cover with the Varoma dish.

I'm wondering... When do you sleep?  :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:13:32 am »
Sorry, misread the post - thought that you had increased to varoma temp to steam.  If it was normally cooked properly then it may be that using the Varoma allowed extra moisture to disappear, compared with having the Measuring Cup in place.  In that case, possibly just adding some extra stock would probably help.

I do sleep - lots, just trying to keep the info flow while others are joining.  I am sure there will be others with more helpful advice than me, once they find us.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:56:54 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:59 am »

I do sleep - lots, just trying to keep the info flow while others are joining.  I am sure there will be others with more helpful advice than me, once they find us.

My goodness Thermomixer... "IF" there is anyone out there with more helpful advice than you...I have to wonder!!! A big personal thank you from me for all you help, advice and info.  :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:17:49 am »
Thanks faffa_70 - I just wish that TMX HQ would do this sort of thing to support us and the consultants.  Hopefully one day.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:49:36 am »
i just made risotto for lunch and found 2 things:
1. the temp for risotto is 100'c not varoma, and
2. if you put in your own ingredients you'll probably end up with too much and then you get a mush at the bottom and not cooked at the top  :-)) sigh LOL

not sure if either of those things will help...
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 03:31:20 am »

My goodness Thermomixer... "IF" there is anyone out there with more helpful advice than you...I have to wonder!!! A big personal thank you from me for all you help, advice and info.  :-*

faffa_70, you beat me to it! Thermomixer is *the* best!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 03:35:12 am »
i just made risotto for lunch and found 2 things:
1. the temp for risotto is 100'c not varoma, and
2. if you put in your own ingredients you'll probably end up with too much and then you get a mush at the bottom and not cooked at the top  :-)) sigh LOL

not sure if either of those things will help...

I haven't yet dared to modify recipes too much, but what I would do is take a proven recipe, and replace the original ingredients with the exact same quantities of your own ingredients. Does that make any sense?

I'm sure I'll get the chance to try the same experience again: I just love that risotto  ;D I'll report back on how it behaves. Maybe this was just a fluke...

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:20 am »
I buggered up rice cooking (to the EDC recipe) by steaming in the varoma at the same time. I ran out of water and had to keep adding more and cooking for another 5 mins. My conclusion was that too much steam had escaped out of the vents in the varoma lid, which would otherwise have condensed on the TMX lid and fallen back down.