Author Topic: Pork Filet Mignon with Mustard Sauce  (Read 39708 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Pork Filet Mignon with Mustard Sauce
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:34:19 am »
This is translated from the French cookbook "À table avec Thermomix". Note that I haven't tried this recipe, so if you do try it, please let me know how it turned out!

Pork Filet mignon with mustard sauce

Preparation time: 5 min + Thermomix 23 min

450g                Pork tenderloin
100g                Portobello mushrooms
75g                 Dry white vermouth or Madeira
100g               Semi-skimmed milk
60g                 Onions
1 clove            Garlic (optional)
2 tsp               Classic Dijon mustard
1 tsp               Hot (English) mustard
1/2 cube         No-fat chicken stock
2 tbsp             Thick fresh cream 15%
1 bulging tbsp  Maizena (Cornstarch)
1 tsp               Salt
                      Pepper
A few sprigs of parsley for decoration

• Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices
• Cut the tenderloin into thin slices and put them in the cooking basket, alternating with slices of mushrooms
• Put in bowl: Vermouth, milk, onion, peeled and cut in half, peeled garlic, mustards, half a cube of chicken stock, salt and pepper
• Put the basket in the cooking bowl and set 20 to 25 minutes at 100 ˚, speed 4, mixing the content of the basket midway
• When the timer stops, put the pork and mushrooms aside in a warm place
• Add to the bowl the cream and Mazaina and set 3 minutes at 80 ˚, speed 4
• Serve meat and sauce, decorated with sprigs of parsley

members' comments

JD - OMG, this is amazing. My pork fillet weighed 330 g which is enough for 3 people or 2 very hungry ones!  I cut the meat into 2-1/2 cm slices and the medium sized swiss brown mushrooms into 1 cm thick slices and only cooked it for 15 minutes as pork fillet can dry out if overcooked.  I used full skim milk, not semi-skimmed but other than this, did the recipe exactly as MrSpock so kindly posted for us.  Good enough for a meal for guests for sure - pork fillet is one of my favourite cuts to work with.  The sauce is so good and with the small jugful left over, I am going to toss some steamed vegies and cooked chicken through some pasta and add this sauce.

riv mum - Loved it. I cooked it at varoma temp and steamed vegies on top so left the pork really chunky (about 2 to 3 cm wide by 5 to 7 cm long) to try and reduce overcooking and mushrooms halved. Cooked in 20 min. Could prob reduce time to 18 mins and would check after 15 mins if you want it slightly pink.
Sauce is delicious - would make it to go with corned beef!
I used apple juice instead of the vermouth and 1 tsp vegie stock concentrate instead of chicken stock cube. Was very tasty.
I used a bit over 500 g of meat which was enough or our family of 5.
Next time I might try adding honey to the sauce to make a honey mustard style sauce and use chicken instead of pork.

brazen - we ADORED, INHALED this meal!!! This is dinner party material.

MrSpock - I finally cooked the dish myself tonight. I was convinced DH would hate it but he actually liked it! Enough to be added to our regular rotation. This is a huge victory as he usually likes nothing fancy. I personally loved it. I held the salt, garlic (seemed tasty enough without) and mushrooms as Hubby hates them and would have refused to eat anything with mushrooms in it.

Chickie - This dish is so yummy. Husband loved it and its very easy to make. 5 out of 5. I used beef fillet instead because we don't like pork very much and reduced the cooking time to 16 mins, then continued to cook the sauce for the appropriate time. The beef was a combination of medium and medium rare.

jai9 - It was delicious. I will definitely be making again.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:03:46 am by judydawn »
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Filet Mignon with Mustard Sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:22:07 am »
Thanks MrSpock, I'm sure that beef tenderloin could be used in place of the pork - may need less cooking time though?

Also thanks for linking from the index page  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:17 am »
i think this one is gluten free - sounds good!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
Thanks MrSpock, I'm sure that beef tenderloin could be used in place of the pork - may need less cooking time though?

Also thanks for linking from the index page  ;D ;D ;D

Actually here in Quebec, "Filet Mignon" is ternderloin beef exclusively, and it's one of the top cuts, so steaming it and slapping sauce on top is a bit of an heresy  :o

It's only when I translated the recipe that I realized that our French cousins use the term "filet mignon" for pork. Then the recipe made much more sense to me! How ironic that I have to translate recipes in a second language to actually understand them!
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pork Filet Mignon with Mustard Sauce
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:00 am »
Went out today and bought the vermouth for this recipe which is on the menu for tomorrow night.  Had trouble finding either Vermouth or Madeira - they looked at me as if I was from another planet.  Eventually found some Vermouth, only $10 a bottle. Guess they are old fashioned types of drinks these days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:32 am »
LOL JD - we drove through the home of Cinzano Vermouth near Alba in Italy and the sports ground is the Cin Cin Stadium !!!  Found this on their website: 

"Cinzano became part of the company's range of products in 1786 with Cinzano Rosso, which quickly became the drink of the upper middle class of Turin and which, over time has been flanked by other versions which have enriched and updated the range."

Noilly Prat is the French version that I usually use, they are both so cheap  ;) ;) ;) ;)

PS - I do actually like vermouth on the rocks - so yes it is an oldies drink  ;) ;) ;) hiccup.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:03:08 am »
Yes, I thought so TM.  I was pleased I managed to get it, not only for this dish but for one of the drinks Bron posted recently too.  Got the gin and tequila today too so I'm cooking with gas as soon as I feel the time is right for another drink :P :P :P :P

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:53:54 pm »
Could proberly cook this one at varoma temp and steam at the same time. May need to reduce the cooking time slightly.
hmmm.....could be a cooking class recipe!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:04:34 am »
I'd be careful using Varoma temp as it may overcook the pork?  You can steam with 100 degrees - but not as well as with Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 06:51:34 am »
OMG, this is amazing :P :P :P DH and I had this for lunch today and I have a serve ready to take around to Mum later. My pork fillet weighed 330g which is enough for 3 people or 2 very hungry ones!  I cut the meat into 2-1/2 cm slices and the medium sized swiss brown mushrooms into 1cm thick slices and only cooked it for 15 minutes as pork fillet can dry out if overcooked.  I used full skim milk, not semi-skimmed but other than this, did the recipe exactly as MrSpock so kindly posted for us.  Good enough for a meal for guests for sure - pork fillet is one of my favourite cuts to work with.  The sauce is so good and with the small jugful left over, I am going to toss some steamed vegies and cooked chicken through some pasta and add this sauce.  A $10 bottle of Vermouth is certainly worth it. 

The meat and sauce is so tasty all you need to accompany it are steamed vegies so all I have to do now is work out how to bring all that together and this will be my new favourite recipe.  Today I baked cauli-au-gratin & a potato casserole in the weber and microwaved some green vegies as I wanted to concentrate only on this recipe in the TMX. The medium sized swiss brown mushrooms stayed in their nice thick slices too.

MrSpock :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:03 am »
ok judy, i'm convinced now LOL
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:29 am »
OMG, this is amazing :P :P :P ......  A $10 bottle of Vermouth is certainly worth it. 

So how much is left in that bottle ? ??? ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:43 am »
It's funny, I have it in my mind that I wouldn't like Vermouth so didn't even think to have a taste :o :o :o Just another bottle for my wine cupboard which is pretty well stocked because I am not a big drinker.  That may surprise you but I'd be lucky to have 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks a week but do like to try something different.  Not much fun drinking on your own :P :P Have a friend coming to stay at the end of the month so will be trying out a few of those cocktails with her.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 09:03:44 am »
hehe, to me 1-2 a week is a bit ;) i'm lucky ot have 1-2 every few months LOL
My Cooking Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 12:00:37 pm »
Can somebody explain if a tenderloin is a solomillo or a lomo? Solomillo is like my 3 yr old sons arm and a lomo is like my 12yr old daughters lower leg? Sorry don't know the cuts in english? Feel quite embarrassed, but know you will all forgive me! :-[ :-[
Amanda

Spain