Author Topic: Oooops, I did it again  (Read 7777 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Oooops, I did it again
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:21 am »
By now, most of you must have realized I'm a complete amateur at that cooking thing... I know the basics, but I want to experiment with my Thermomix, and that pushes the limits of my knowledge  :-[

So... My husband and I stop at a cooking material liquidation warehouse I saw advertized for the first time, and he picks up a few BBQ utensiles for the summer, but *I* spot this baby for almost nothing. We had looked at pasta machines before in regular stores, but figured they were way too expensive to experiment, but this one was really marked down, we figured because the box held together with packing tape.

I get home, untape my new toy, and guess what... No instructions whatsoever! I tried googling for instructions, only to find other people commenting on forums that they bought this machine and no instructions came with it. Yes, just like my pizza stone. My theory here is that all that stuff is now made in China, and the Chinese being smart people, learned from the Japanese who provided us with years of laughing material with their English translations. The Chinese figured, we'll just forego the instructions. Problem solved, and we're the ones laughing now.

So now that I got this out of my system, can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to clean my pasta machine? I figured I better ask y'alls knowledgeable people before I try anything funny...

PS: I'm hoping ONE DAY, I can bring some useful contribution to this community, instead of all those questions  ;)
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Oooops, I did it again
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:33:53 am »
I have a very expensive pasta machine made in Italy with an instruction book in 10 languages would you believe! Highlighted in Yellow is Never wash the machine with water or in the dishwasher.  Clean the machine after every use with a brush or wooden rod.  If necessary  put several drops of vaseline oil on the ends of the cutting rollers. Do not insert knives or cloths between rollers. During use clean the scrapers underneath the smooth rollers every so often with a piece of kitchen paper.

I have found that you need a lot of flour flying around to make pasta and at least four hands ar required to manage the stuff. Once you master it  make a truck load and put it in the freezer. Cleaning up the kitchen after is a b*****d!

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:17:26 am by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:54:48 am »
That's it! I'm never going to buy a pasta machine ;D ;D ;D  Oh dear, MrSpock you do have fun and games at your place.  We are all learning from your mistakes though so you are making a useful contribution to this forum - it is just not in the way you thought it would be ;) ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:14:52 am »
...Never wash the machine with water or in the dishwasher...

See, good thing I asked!!

Good luck

Thank you. I think I'm gonna need it. Thankfully this is one adventure in cooking I'm sure my husband will want to share. Watch out for that flying flour!!  ;D

That's it! I'm never going to buy a pasta machine ;D ;D ;D  Oh dear, MrSpock you do have fun and games at your place.  We are all learning from your mistakes though so you are making a useful contribution to this forum - it is just not in the way you thought it would be ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well I'm glad I can contribute, even though it's mostly for entertainment!  ;D ;D ;D
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:12 am »
my pasta maker (never buy a benzer brand pasta maker) broke first use, sent it back, the replacement broke first use too :( unfortunately it had taken me 4 months to find a gluten free pasta recipe to use with it so i couldn't return the replacement  >:( i emailed the place it came from (victoria's basement in australia) and didn't even get an acknowledgement. so pretty annoyed with both companies... yeah it was cheap but i just simplay can't afford a good one  :'(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:51 am »
Tell us what the numbers are on the knob on the side and we can give you some idea of how to use it.

Some start with 0 and go down in thickness to 7, others start with 1 and go down to 10.

Hope you haven't broken it yet !!  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.