Author Topic: Berry Muffins  (Read 8830 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Berry Muffins
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »
Does anyone have a recipe for muffins with frozen mixed berries in them? Or do you know how much berries I would add to a basic muffin mix and can they be added frozen?
Thanks DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Berry Muffins
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:14 pm »
DG, follow a TMX recipe but check out this  
recipe - she uses 2 cups frozen mixed berries but mixes them with some flour before adding to the batter , I guess so they don't all sink to the bottom.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
Thank you JD once again you have come to the rescue.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:29:37 am »
I make blueberry muffins using 1 cup of frozen berries  for a batch of 12 muffins. I think 2 cups might be a bit much but I haven't read the recipe Judy refers to, might be for a bigger batch.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:55:09 am »
My favourite muffin recipe (2 cups SR flour, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 125g melted butter, 2/3 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup choc chips, and 1 cup frozen raspberries) is really yummy. The raspberries need to be added whilst still frozen, or they just break up and you get pink muffins instead of yummy chunks of berries. I've also substituted blueberries, omitted the choc chips and added some lemon zest.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:39 am »
I found this recipe which I used. They are lovely and light.

Blueberry Muffins.
Makes 12.
Ingredients
120 g fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp organic plain flour
220 g organic plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
50 g butter or sunflower oil
110 g sugar
1 egg
170 g milk
1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla bean paste
Method
1. Place a large bowl on the TM lid. Weigh into it the blueberries and add the 1 Tbsp flour. Stir gently to coat the berries with the flour. Set aside.
2. Weigh the 220 g flour, butter or oil, and sugar into the TM bowl. Add the baking powder and salt then Turbo pulse until crumbs form.
3. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Knead 3 or 4 times only on the Dough Setting until JUST mixed. Batter will still be lumpy.
4. Fold the batter into the floured berries by hand until JUST mixed and divide gently into a buttered 12 muffin cup pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
Aga Ovens: Bake in the Aga Roasting Oven on the rack on the lowest set of runners, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before taking out to cool completely on a rack. Eat on day of making or freeze as soon as completely cool.

It made 7 large muffins. Not sure if I can double the recipe.
From http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=97

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: Re: Berry Muffins
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
DS loves these and asked to make them every week. A good way to get extra fruit in. I used frozen mixed berries.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:52:02 am »
Raspberry white choc muffins

Makes

Ingredients
1/2 cup (95g) white chocolate buds
3/4 cup (155g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (80g) coarsely chopped macadamias
1 cup (125g) frozen raspberries
1 egg, lightly whisked
1/2 cup (125ml) macadamia oil
3/4 cup (185ml) buttermilk
Method
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line six 3/4-cup (185ml) capacity Texas muffin pans with paper cases.
Combine the white chocolate, sugar, flour and macadamias in a large bowl. Coarsely chop half the raspberries. Add all the raspberries to the mixture. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
Whisk the egg, oil and buttermilk in a jug. Pour into the flour mixture. Gently stir until just combined. Spoon evenly among the pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from oven, set aside for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Notes
The delicate taste of macadamia oil makes it an ideal choice for baking and other sweet dishes.

Take a trip around the globe with our range of international recipe collections. Start with our French recipes, Thai recipes, Turkish recipes and Spanish recipes.

Source
Notebook: - August 2007
Notebook: - August 2007, Page 42
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs
This is my favourite, but too quick to bother with thermie
Denise

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:15:54 am »
I found this recipe which I used. They are lovely and light.

Blueberry Muffins.
Makes 12.
Ingredients
120 g fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp organic plain flour
220 g organic plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
50 g butter or sunflower oil
110 g sugar
1 egg
170 g milk
1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla bean paste
Method
1. Place a large bowl on the TM lid. Weigh into it the blueberries and add the 1 Tbsp flour. Stir gently to coat the berries with the flour. Set aside.
2. Weigh the 220 g flour, butter or oil, and sugar into the TM bowl. Add the baking powder and salt then Turbo pulse until crumbs form.
3. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Knead 3 or 4 times only on the Dough Setting until JUST mixed. Batter will still be lumpy.
4. Fold the batter into the floured berries by hand until JUST mixed and divide gently into a buttered 12 muffin cup pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
Aga Ovens: Bake in the Aga Roasting Oven on the rack on the lowest set of runners, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before taking out to cool completely on a rack. Eat on day of making or freeze as soon as completely cool.

It made 7 large muffins. Not sure if I can double the recipe.
From http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=97

I've made these twice in the past few days and I agree, they are lovely & light. First time I used frozen blueberries, and just now I've made them with frozen mixed berries. Thanks for finding this DG, love it!
Melbourne, inner north