Author Topic: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins  (Read 40137 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 06:40:17 am »
Thanks tonydav.Tthis recipe is just too easy and is such a winner.Just to hack off a chunk and put it into the oven is fantastic. Sometimes I don't bother waiting and it has made no difference. Great for just the two of us and for making the odd couple of rolls for lunch. I too use bakers flour and mix it up with some others like rye for a change.

I just wet my hands and grab a hunk. It is too wet for making fancy shapes but great for the basic everyday bread.

Gretchen

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »
Well, not going to make it tonight as it's too late. I'm just having a cuppa and off to bed. I'll probably not get a chance to make this until tomorrow night as I'm busy all day tomorrow with meetings and appointments.

Will check back in with results tomorrow p.m.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:17 am »
Thanks tonydav - appreciate your work.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 01:37:48 pm »
Well, I was disappointed in my loaf. Heavy and way, way too salty. Basically inedible due to the salt. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons. I should have thought before putting that much in... :-\
The crust was lovely, but the loaf didn't rise much.

I'll have to play with this some more. What do I do know with all that horribly salty dough in the fridge? I guess I'll make up another batch minus salt and see how it goes.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »
Could you use it as play dough MJ  :o :o  Disappointing isn't it when you have been having success with bread making to then have a disaster.  Did sound like a lot of salt, even if a recipe says 1 tspn, I only use 1/2 tspn. Wonder if the chooks would eat it, probably too salty for them too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »
 ;D Don't want to give the chooks heart disease!!

I'll make breadcrumbs from it, so not to waste. But, just not sure about the rest of the dough in the fridge. I think I'll chuck it and start again. All that salt would have affected the yeast, which was probably why it didn't rise as much as it should have.

I'll try again tomorrow!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2010, 12:26:45 pm »
Meganjane,  are you using Laucke pre mix?  If so don't put any salt in as it's already added.  What have others done,?  when I read the recipe it did seem to be a lot of salt.   Cook the bread up and make bread crumbs and dry them if you don't have room in the freezer.   You can reconstitute them to be "fresh" crumbs if you don't brown them.   Don't give them to the chooks as you are correct it is not good for them.  The original recipe is American,  and I think that their Tablespoon is = to our dessertspoon,  if this is correct,  you have added too much salt and probably too much yeast.  Hope this helps and someone has correct info on the measurements

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2010, 01:32:26 pm »
I made breadcrumbs with it and froze them. I made another lot, but added a bit more water as it didn't seem 'wet' enough or look like the pics on the website.
I use regular Wallaby flour, not a bread mix. I still wasn't thrilled with the result. Still heavy, so probably too much water. I have some still in the fridge that I added seeds to, so I'll give that one a try by adding more flour.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 05:32:02 am »
I keep wanting to try this, but am not game yet.  Let me know when you perfect it MJ.  I have lost my touch with bread making and have had 3 flops in a row.  I think I am letting them rise for too long and they flop in the oven.  I get busy with other things and forget about them (and remember when I am in Kmart 2 hours later  ;)).

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 12:29:52 am »
I keep wanting to try this, but am not game yet.  Let me know when you perfect it MJ.  I have lost my touch with bread making and have had 3 flops in a row.  I think I am letting them rise for too long and they flop in the oven.  I get busy with other things and forget about them (and remember when I am in Kmart 2 hours later  ;)).

I also tend to lose track of time when I am busy with other tasks.  For instance, I have been doing a lot of gardening, early in the mornings because of the heat later in the day. 
My solution for several years has been to wear a timer hanging around my neck, which reminds me when I need to return to the kitchen to take care of something and also reminds me not to wander off to chat with my neighbors or take off to the market (or an attractive yard sale or similar event). 
This is the one I have now but have used less complicated ones in the past.

I'm sure a similar instrument is available in your country. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 02:02:44 am »
What a great idea, Andi!  I think I need one of them - I get very easily distracted!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 05:19:45 am »
Yes - what a clever idea Andi.  I keep waiting for the "fog" to lift from having a baby, but two years down the track I'm still no closer to clear thoughts.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 07:34:10 am »
Think I need something like that to hang around my neck !!  Good idea.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
Once you get in the habit of using it, you will find that it comes in handy for many tasks not related to the kitchen.

This morning I put it on to remind me to be in the house at 8:30 a.m. so I could hear the front gate signal when the satellite TV service man arrived.  Otherwise, if I am out in the "back forty" part of the garden, I can't hear it because the only outside speaker is on the deck on the other side of the house from the big garden. 
I do carry my cell phone with me and have received plaintive calls from service people out at the front gate, wondering where I am.
I really hate to keep people waiting (although it doesn't seem to be a problem on the other side) so this is an easy solution.

I also have one with a remote probe that signals when a roast or chicken, etc., has reached the desired temperature.  I depend on the various thermometers I use in the kitchen to give me a good result with little waste.  In the past I have had meats in the barbecue cook much faster than expected.
On one occasion I had two prime rib roasts, almost exactly the same size and weight, same ratio of meat to bone and with them both in the same oven one reached the desired temperature forty minutes before the other one.  I was astonished and very glad I had used the therm with the remote probe.   Had I not, that one roast would have been ruined.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 03:43:33 pm »
Wow andie, I would just love to see all the gadgets you have!!

A timer is a fantastic idea. I use an eggtimer in the house all the time. Things like putting a bottle of wine in the freezer for an hour, or to remind me to go back to my workshop to check something. I never thought to get a portable one!
The Bush Gourmand