Author Topic: Double Chocolate Scones  (Read 3754 times)

Offline troupie

• View Profile
Double Chocolate Scones
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:01 am »
Double Chocolate Scones

Ingredients

310g (2 cups) Plain flour
20g unsweetened cocoa powder
40g packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter cubed
1 beaten egg yolk (I use the whole egg and didn’t worry about beating, just broke the yolk)
1 small carton plain yogurt (about a cup)
˝ cup chopped semi sweet chocolate (be generous with your ˝ cup)
Method
1.   Preheat oven to 190°.
2.   Roughly chop chocolate into chunks and set aside (you want it in small chunks).
3.   Add to TMX bowl flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter for 4–5 seconds speed 8 until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4.   Add egg and yogurt to dry ingredients and mix for 5 seconds speed 4.
5.   Add chocolate pieces and mix on  :-: speed for a few seconds; don’t over mix.
6.   On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough a few times until dough is nearly smooth.
7.   Roll or pat dough into a circle about 9 inches and cut in 10 wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. You can also cut into rounds with a scone cutter.
8.   Bake for about 18 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

The original recipe was from Cullinary Café on the web and changed for the Thermomix. They are best made with a semi sweet dark chocolate rather than milk. I have tried to put a photo with them but cant make it small enough. Will try another day.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Double Chocolate Scones
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:41 am »
Great recipe Troupie. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:39:52 am »
I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate scone troupie, do you serve them with jam and cream?

I wonder if this posting of Chelsea's will help you reduce the size of your pictures.  It's what I used long ago when I was having trouble myself.

"I open the folder where the photo is currently saved (can even be your camera folder).
I right click on the photo and a menu appears.
I click on the "open with" option.
I then click on the "paint" option and it will open in the paint program (don't worry if it is huge).
I then click on the "image" menu at the top.
I click on the stretch and skew option in the image menu.
In stretch and skew I change the stretch settings to 25% and 25% (and leave the other settings).
I then click on the file menu and click on the "save as" option.
I type a new name for my smaller sized photo.
I find the folder where I want to save my resized photo in the drop down menu (I use "my pictures" folder)
I click on save and then close the paint program.
The smaller sized photo will be saved in the folder I selected and will open in almost every application (not just paint).

It sounds complicated but that's just because I have put in all of the steps (I hope). Hope this helps. "

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:29 am »
Thanks Judy for your help; I have reduced the size once and it still wasn't enough to post but will follow your steps and try again.
The chocolate scones are served with jam and cream as with any others. The one I just had still had some chocolate oozing out and it was delicious. I made some cherry jam to go with them as I have to take a plate tonight. I used Chookies strawberry jam recipe but frozen cherries. Great recipe.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »
Yum Troupie. Chocolate scones, cherry jam and cream sounds like a Black Forest scone.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/