Author Topic: thai green curry paste recipe please?  (Read 9864 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
thai green curry paste recipe please?
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »
anyone got one to recommend? :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: thai green curry paste recipe please?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:10 am »
This is from Nico Moretti's 'Cooking Passions' which has a few things converted to suit the TM.

PASTE

2 tsp coriander seed
1tsp cumin seed
2 tbsp (40g) galangal (Thai ginger) peeled and sliced
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
4 coriander roots, bottom 2 inches of stalks with roots, trimmed
4 garlic cloves
4 large green chillies, chopped
4 shallots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 2-3 inches only, bruised and chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp vegetable oil

METHOD

Toast the coriander and  cumin seeds in the TM bowl for 6 minutes at 100oC on speed 2.  Tip out onto a plate and allow the seeds and the TM bowl to cool.  Grind the seeds on speed 10 until fine.  Add all the other ingredients (except oil), chopping any larger pieces roughly, and mince on speed 9, stopping to scrape down the sides and lid of the TM bowl with the spatula when necessary.  When the mixture is beginning to become a paste, add a little of the oil through the lid.  Blend at speed 4 whilst pouring the rest of the oil slowly onto the TM lid with the MC in place.  Stop when it has all dripped into the bowl and has been incorporated.

He says homemade pastes can be kept refrigerated for up to one month in an airtight container or frozen for up to 6 months.  Freeze the paste in 4 tblsp quantities for ease of use.  He used 4 tblsps to 600g chicken in this recipe.  If you want the whole recipe, sing out and I'll post the rest of it as the total recipe was converted for the TM.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:02:19 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:19 am »
brilliant thank you! hmmm i looked at lime leaves and didn't get them, do you think i can sub in some lime peel or juice or anything else?
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 01:20:19 am »
Don't know Karen, never made curry pastes before myself.  Maybe someone more knowledgable can advise on this one. I have a jar of kaffir lime leaves in the pantry ready for when I need them but I'm sure they wouldn't be as good as fresh ones. I do intend to go down this path but my folder of 'to do' recipes has now grown to 4cm thick, what with all the good things I have
discovered on this forum.  So much to do, so few hours in the day! I have become a slave to my TM these past couple of weeks but have done so much more with it since joining this site  - it really inspires you to get out there and give things a go. My freezer is full but I keep going out buying different things to try and not using up what I have already got in there - it has always been a bad habit of mine and these days, with the supermarket just around the corner, there is really no need to have a freezer full of meat is there!!! ::)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:25:45 am »
LOL i know, i agree, i often wish we could cook more meals in the day (that is, when i'm not sick of cooking so often lol!)

My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:17 am »
Karen, I have bought fresh kaffir lime leaves and frozen them for later use - that seems to work ok.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:55 am »
excellent, thanks amanda :)
i didn't end up making it cause the site was down ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:48:18 am »
Good excuse Karen!! You know you could have emailed me and I would have given it to you again. Let me know what it is like by the way. Thanks for your ear at the weekend too - it was much appreciated.