Author Topic: Another Melbourne newbie  (Read 5606 times)

Offline jarac59

• View Profile
Another Melbourne newbie
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:21 am »
Hello everyone,

As I write, I am enjoying leftover risotto from my demo on Saturday night, and looking forward to the arrival of my very own TMX. I've haunted this forum over the past three months as I've researched, saved and made the decision to purchase - and it's been so helpful to see the kinds of things I could make and to be prepared for the potential pitfalls of new operators. It's reassuring to know that help and advice are just a mouseclick away.

Looking forward to trying out new recipes, and converting some old favourites - lucky I'm a teacher and will have lots of time to play during the school holidays,

Best wishes,
Judith

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Another Melbourne newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:45 am »
Welcome Judith, have you decided what recipes you are going to try first? That was good timing just before the holidays.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:28 am »
Welcome Judith, have you decided what recipes you are going to try first? That was good timing just before the holidays.
Welcome from me too. But it wasn't good timing was it? It was good planning!!!! Have fun with your  *: and enjoy all the knowledge that's on this site. :) :)
If you love a curry and something special try Chookie's Chicken Korma, we've just finished eating it and it was the yummiest I've had for a long time. :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:16:30 am »
Welcome Judith, hope you have fun on the Forum and with your TMX.   Always glad to have another Victorian and another teacher ;D ;D ;D.   Boonderoostudio is very generous with her compliments,  what she is suggesting is that there are lots of tested recipes available here.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:02:08 pm »
From one Judith to another, welcome to the forum.  You've certainly had time to check out what this forum is all about - how exciting you are finally getting your own TMX.   You will love it as much as we all do I am sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »
Welcome Judith. Having explored the forum and built up some ideas and understanding will  be very helpful when your TMX arrives. Good luck and have fun.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline jarac59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:03 am »
Thanks for your welcome.

I'm thinking the initial plan of attack will involve strawberry daiquiris (celebratory drinks!), and I might give the chicken korma a go (thanks boonderoostudio for the tip - we love a good curry), and for dessert, the Mars Bar dip is looking pretty good!!

Will let you know how it goes,
Judith

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:21 am »
Welcome Judith...if you think that is all you will make for starters you are probably in for a shock lol. Seems once you start you just can't stop and the first couple of days are the worst so start planning that shopping list!! You are going to have so much fun and make so much food you will wish your weren't on holidays so you could at least share the food around :D :D :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline jarac59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 05:41:30 am »
I'm sure you're right Kathryn - thanks for the warning!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 07:26:27 am »
Welcome Judith.  I am sure you will not regret your decision.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:28:44 am »
Welcome to the world of Thermomix Judith.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:25 am »
Welcome to the forum Judith.  Great to have you here!!

Offline jarac59

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:52:24 am »
Well, it's 48 hours since delivery! So far I've made pumpkin soup, mashed potatoes, chocolate sorbet (from quirkycooking - yum!), breakfast smoothies, almost GF bread (didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped - a bit sticky), a bruschetta type topping, chicken korma (achookwoman's delicious recipe), and chocolate swirl cheesecake (adapted from a standard recipe - found it a bit fiddly as I had to keep taking the lid off every 5 seconds to check how it was going at each stage, I guess I'll get better as I get used to it). There are (almost GF) hot cross buns in the oven now - not sure how they will turn out -they look & smell OK. Really liked ILoveBimby's idea of using a muffin tray - I'd been wondering how to get gloopy GF dough into bun shapes! Tonight I'll be doing mulled wine (from UK Thermomix site), and with family coming for lunch at the weekend I'm planning hummus, garlic & herb dip, chicken & cashews, and orange & almond cake (with chocolate sorbet on the side.) I'm also looking forward to making yoghurt, peanut butter and vege stock concentrate when I get the chance.

STOP PRESS: Just stopped to take the buns out of the oven - did a taste test on the most uninspiring looking one - and it was great!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 11:55:33 am »
Welcome Judith.  you have hit the ground running.  Great to see.  Many teachers on the forum as well as many other nice people ;D ;D ;D.   Have fun.    Try cooking your soft bread dough in the muffin tins.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 01:14:22 pm »
Whew! You've been busy! Sounds like me on one of my OCD days.....

So glad that you found the forum to be a good research tool. There's some wonderful people here and super recipes and ideas!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand