Author Topic: Brinjal Pickle  (Read 11352 times)

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
Brinjal Pickle
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:49:51 am »
Thought I'd try making Brinjal Pickle... used to make this quite frequently when we lived in PNG (a long time ago) but it was always such a chore. So looked for my old recipe which somehow seems to be lost. I therefore went to the internet and found several, but none had the ingredients that I remembered.The closest was one from Recipezaar... (Neera Verma's). I made adjustments and converted the recipe for the Thermomix. It turned out tasting nearly like what I used to make ... but beware it is very hot!!!! :-)) :o

Ingredients
500g egg plant
10-15g ginger
15g red chillies
5 green chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
1/2 cup peanut oil ... I used grape seed oil
1/2 cup vinegar

Method
1. dry roast seeds... 6-7 minutes 100O speed 1. Let cool then...
2. Mill 20-30 seconds speed 9
3. Add red chillies and ginger with a little vinegar ( stops the smell coming from the chillies nearly killing you!!! :o)
    5-10 seconds speed 8
4. Add oil and saute this mix until a nice red colour approx 3 minutes at 100O speed 1
5. Add green chillies, salt and remaining vinegar mix well 20-30 seconds speed 5
    Add sliced egg plant and cook 10 minutes at 100o  :-: speed 1 until egg plant is softened
7. Cool completely then store in container in fridge. Keeps for at least a fortnight.

Hints
Next time I make this I will add a teaspoon of tumeric as this was a flavour and colour that was missing.
Beware this was very hot so choose your chillies to your taste.
It makes heaps ... so lots of little jars to give away! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Brinjal Pickle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:57 am »
Isn't it fun boonderoostudio, tracking down an old favourite recipe, converting it for the TMX and being thrilled with the result.
Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:55 am »
Thanks for the recipe - I had 2 eggplants in the fridge last night and decided to make moussaka to use them up.  Wish I'd seen this - looks great and thanks for the turmeric tip.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:52:08 pm »
Bugger, just made this, but cooked it too long and now I have chilli eggplant mush.  To be honest, I find it a bit bland.  Am hoping it will mature over the next few days.