Author Topic: Chookies' Hot Cross Buns  (Read 132638 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chookies' Hot Cross Buns
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »
I agree. I often don't put anything on mine, especially if they are to be frozen. The syrup makes them so sticky.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2014, 11:02:13 pm »
Perfect looking buns Kimmy  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:38 pm »
They are indeed.  Your piping is so good.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2014, 12:24:56 am »
Great hcb kimmy. I dont pipe or glaze, they dont last long in this house :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:07 am »
Made small batch , baked in AF.  Think I posted method. 

Offline chdv

• View Profile
    • Aussie in a Swiss kitchen
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:42 am »
yum, I was searching for a recipe for hot cross buns and found this one. I tried the EDC recipe a couple of years ago and perhaps I did something wrong, but it wasn't an experience I want to repeat. Not sure exactly what the difference is here, but I'm about to give these a go.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2014, 11:06:53 am »
They are indeed.  Your piping is so good.
Funny you should say that Judy. I thought the piping was good too but DS6 told me some of my lines were a bit wobbly! He gobbled them up quickly after muttering something about taking points of my score!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Chookies' Hot Cross Buns
« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
I made two batches of these today and they were my best effort yet (not looking as good as Kimmy's though! )

In Canberra it is hard to prove bread from now until December so....I made sure the milk, egg and butter were 37oC  before proceeding....I let the dough rise in a metal bowl that was covered in cling film and a tea towel, then sat the bowl on top of a thermoserver that had been filled with boiling water and lwft to rise til doubled in size....after I had shaped the buns I put them on the oven tray, covered the buns with cling film and put them back on top of the thermoserver until doubled in size.

They flattened out a little upon baking but that is quite possibly my oven. Sorry for the long post but hopefully others in cool climates might be interested!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2014, 12:04:40 pm »
Has anyone tried hot cross bun dough risings using the boiling-water-in-a-baking dish trick as we do for the Vienna loaf?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:40:17 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chookies' Hot Cross Buns
« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2014, 12:17:48 pm »
I made two batches of these today and they were my best effort yet (not looking as good as Kimmy's though! )

In Canberra it is hard to prove bread from now until December so....I made sure the milk, egg and butter were 37oC  before proceeding....I let the dough rise in a metal bowl that was covered in cling film and a tea towel, then sat the bowl on top of a thermoserver that had been filled with boiling water and lwft to rise til doubled in size....after I had shaped the buns I put them on the oven tray, covered the buns with cling film and put them back on top of the thermoserver until doubled in size.

They flattened out a little upon baking but that is quite possibly my oven. Sorry for the long post but hopefully others in cool climates might be interested!
Thanks for the tip Jamberie.I'm always interested how people prove their bread in cooler weather.Mind you it always seems cooler here  :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
I made Maddy's choc chip buns today and proved them in a cold oven with a jug of boiling water in it. I did the second prove on top of the oven as it was heating up. I often do the same thing in my microwave, but have to prove in a bowl as thermie is too tall to fit in my microwave.
I didn't glaze them and they were a little wonky, but the kids didn't have any complaints  ;)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2014, 01:19:10 pm »
Has anyone tried hot cross bun dough risings using the boiling-water-in-a-baking dish trick as we do for the Vienna loaf?
I think that is similar to Quirky Jo's method I've started using. I put dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with glad wrap, place in oven turned off, with a bowl of just boiled water underneath and close door. Works really well and a little quicker too.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »
Love the idea of proofing in the cold oven. ES, second proofing is in a heated oven?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
Lots of good ideas here.
Started making SD , HXBuns today.  Looks like a 2 day process now that it has turned cool.  Looking good so far. 

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »
No, BZB. after the first prove, I shaped them and covered them with a tea towel and sat them on the hot plate above the oven as it was heating up. If I'm doing a loaf of bread, I usually do the second prove in the microwave with a jug of boiled water.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous