Author Topic: Pak Choy  (Read 7136 times)

Offline hools003

• View Profile
Pak Choy
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:22:02 am »
Has anyone got any ideas or recipes for using pak choy? DH planted some a few weeks ago and the outer leaves look like they should be picked and used!!! No idea what to do with it except to chuck it in a stir fry. Anyone suggest anything a bit different? :-\

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pak Choy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:50 am »
hools003, I only use it for stir fries or just steam it to go with Asian style mains. Founds this on the net, not too inspiring

'Separate the leaves and wash well.

The green leaf is often cooked separately to the much thicker, paler stalk.

In a stir fry, cut off the stalks and slice. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the leaves for 2 minutes.

The inner leaves are more tender and work well, raw, in salads. The tougher, outer leaves taste better cooked.

Use in stir fries, chopped in salads, braised, roasted or add to a soup for the last few minutes of cooking.

For a quick recipe, chop the pak choi and steam for 3-4 minutes. Serve with soy sauce.

Quick Idea
The leaves taste great in salads - just shred them. Keep the stalks for use in stocks or other recipes.'

or this recipe sounds nice  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20306/baby+pak+choy+frittata
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:26:53 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:33:19 am »
Thanks JD you really are a champion! I've saved that fritatta recipe into Evernote to try. Never thought about using the inner leaves in a salad. I'm always using baby spinach in salads so may try and substitute that instead. Wonder if anyone will notice??? :o
it seems to grow really quickly and unless you use it when it is still tender( and before the snails and caterpillars get to it)It will get wasted and I hate waste!!
Thanks again.  :-*

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:32 am »
I just did an Asian demo for a Singaporean customer including pak choi - SO easy and they loved it!

Pak Choi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

􏰀 300g Pak Choi
􏰀 10g Garlic or Ginger (actually, I used both!)
􏰀 10g Oil
􏰀 1 pinch salt and pepper .
Some soy, maggi seasoning or whatever you like, to serve

Method:     

1. Place garlic (or ginger) TM bowl to
chop. 2 - 5 sec.  Speed 5 ---

2. Add oil into TM bowl to cook.  2mins Varoma temp. Speed 3

3. Add Pak Choy, salt and pepper to cook. 4min. Varoma temp. (clockwise) Speed SOFT

Sprinkle with a little soy or similar seasoning

Serve immediately!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:19:49 am »
Thanks Karen,  I have some pak Choy in the fridge - so must try your recipe as it sounds great!!

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:20 am »
That does sound nice thanks Karen. Still got a couple in the garden so might have to pull one up tonight.

Offline Thermoconvert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
We had so many pak choy last year that I made stock with it, as per the stocl concentrate recipe in the EDC. 

I just subsituted all veges for pak choy.  For example 1 carrot was subsituted with a handful of pak choy etc.  I added same amount of salt and herbs and it turned out great.  The best stock ever!  It had a very mild taste.