Author Topic: Thermomix and healthy eating  (Read 13641 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Thermomix and healthy eating
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:49:03 am »
Hi all, I am a little concerned about buying my thermomix which I need to pay for today. Everyone I know who has a thermomix said the only problem with it is they have put on weight. I definitely don't want to put on weight. Has other people had the same problem. How do I avoid this. does thermomx recipes have more sugar and fat? I wanted to buy the Thermomix for healthier eating and to save some money.
Any comments?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix and healthy eating
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:51:06 am »
I've put on a couple of kilo's, mainly because sweet things are easy to make in it!

Certainly not because there is more sugar and fat ;) It's to do with what I'm making!!

You can DEFNIATLY use it for healthy cooking!! I am a sweets maker at heart though ;)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 01:53:26 am »
i think it's the same as anything, it's all down to what you use it for lol
most of us go a bit crazy make sweets and baked goods when we start - don't do that and you'll be fine!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:58:23 am »
dede it all depends on what you make in it - just like everything else really. I find it really easy to make the healthy meals that my family require and I lose weight that way with out even an effort.

I ALSO find it really easy to make all my kids snacks (5 of them and DH for work too) - what I find hard is resisting temptation for me to eat them  :-)) :-)) as healthy as I make most of them it is the treat ones that are my undoing - BUT that is purely my own self control etc. I could easily not make them and then there is no problem  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:04:21 am »
That is so true, I have 5 children and a Husband as well. It cost me a fortune to buy snacks for school/work. I have always cooked biscuits slices and cakes etc for them anyway. I guess it is really no different to what I already do just easier to do it. I would like to cut down on packaged food and make my own but I am concerned that what I make will  contain more calories than the packaged foods I already buy minus the additives and preservatives.

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 03:52:46 am »
Dede, you honestly can't go wrong with your purchase.

If you can, get into the habit of using your Varoma a lot! Fantastic for steaming. Meat is spectacular and so are the vegies.  My family now prefer fish done this way. Everything is fat free cooking.  It's what you put on it that can be dangerous.  ;)

Fabulous for those summer salads and if you're after a sweet treat, make sorbet! You control the sugar content and there's no fat once again.

Win! Win! I say.

Good luck with your decision.
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:11:59 am »
Hi. I used the Varoma for my veggies on Christmas Day. They were supposed to take 20 min or so, but after 40 min they were still quite "crunchy", is this usual? I was putting cheese sauce on the cauli, so it wasn't too bad, but I would have liked them to be more cooked.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:53:52 am »
Soblessed, I would think perhaps either that they were cut too large (which takes longer) or there were not enough steam vents open to allow them to cook.

I fill my varoma bowl then use the handle of my spatula to "drill" a hole in the middle of the bowl.

I have found the veg need to be quite small to steam in the 20 min. We usually steam ours for about 30 min so that you don't have to cut them so small.

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 05:00:58 am »
Well I have just paid for my TM. I figure that I am in control of what goes in my mouth not the TM. So only me to blame if I put on weight. Now I have to wait for TM to arrive (I'm guessing around the 10th Jan)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:28:28 am »
You won't regret it, Dede!  I have been using a Thermomix for over 6 years now, and I cook healthy food and no one in our family is overweight! Okay, so that's partly the 'skinny genes' on my side  ;) but my dh would be a lot bigger if it wasn't for all the healthy tmx meals he gets!!  ;D  Fried rice in the Thermomix, for instance - no oil, lots of flavour!! (See this recipe) As long as you keep the sweets for now and then, you'll be right.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline the_vermins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:36 am »
I haven't put on any weight.  I make sure I eat healthily 90% of the time and let myself have a treat the other 10%.  As long as I make each meal with loads of vegies and have tonnes of fruit available to eat, the odd piece of cake or biscuit won't hurt.  It's when it becomes EVERY day that is the issue.  A few times a week is ok.  Also stopping at one is hard.

I love that my TMX is making me cook healthier than ever.
Steph.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:36:40 am »
Thanks Faffa!
I did have them cut fairly large, so I guess I need to be more patient & cut them smaller. (Love to get things done as quickly as possible! ;) )

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "drill" a hole in the middle of the bowl though. Anyway, next time I'll just cut smaller pieces.

And yes I find my overall cooking is much healthier, but I do need to limit the sweeter goodies!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:52:42 am »
Dede as you said it is up to you what you put in your mouth. Before I bought my TMX (2 years ago) I had lost 30kg.  My weight now goes up and down by about 2 kg.If I put it on I make sure I lose it again. I try very hard not to eat the sweet things I make.
If it's a new recipe I'll have a small taste. I love baking and always have done, that is my downfall not the TMX.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 11:15:57 am »
Hi there.
I haven't put on weight from the meals in the thermie but have from the glass or two of wine I drink as I'm cooking/organising dinner!!
I dont make a lot of cakes/desserts as I'm eating gluten free but with the food I cook in the thermomix, I feel a lot healthier ie no additives, preservatives, nasties to worry about and you have complete control over what you cook. The thermomix wont make you fat. It comes down to the basics of metabolism, exercise, and portion control. I know that just because I have a thermomix, I havent increased the amount I eat, I probably have less leftovers than before the thermomix as the food tastes better, but I often deliberately make more food than I need and freeze portions, only to reheat them after work etc.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:51 am »
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "drill" a hole in the middle of the bowl though. Anyway, next time I'll just cut smaller pieces.

She means create a hole/ space in the middle of the veggies by pushing the spatula or your finger/ hand down and veggies aside so that the vents are free at the bottom of the varoma so the steam can move freely
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net