Author Topic: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?  (Read 371519 times)

Offline PaulsTinopener

• View Profile
Re: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?
« Reply #810 on: September 14, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
#Itcook,
I am from Germany. Vorwerk has had that special offer 14.07.14-22.08.14. Everybody who bought their TM31 in that time and made/is making the event within the 3 month after purchase gets a second bowl and two books for free. I have ordered 15.08.14 but didn't get the TM31. We have to do the event now with the new model and are getting the o.m. items.

Offline ElectronGuru

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 14, 2014, 03:25:30 pm »
I will be interested to see how the Americans take to it when it is introduced once again in the US. No doubt that will coincide with the new model going into Canada. This forum will be overloaded with US members for sure. It is going to get interesting.

I'm in the US and imported my TM31 several years ago. Speaking for us as a group...

The largest obstacle will be the price. We have huge kitchens and are happy to have 3-4 primary appliances, costing $100-300 each plus multiple small appliances. We may not see the value of a single do everything device to replace them.

That said, we are also terrible eaters who are in a hurry and eat a lot of heavily processed food. If Vorwerk can effectively communicate the 'speedy from scratch' benefits, it stands a good chance of catching a foot hold. We can feel our unhealthy food in our bones but also don't have the time to do it right with pots and pans.

But few in the states have even heard of such devices beyond high powered (cold) blenders like the Vitamix. And these are near exclusive to smoothies. When i mentioned it to my sister, for example, she said her blender could already do it, since the friction with the blades generated its own heat. So short of a publicity blitz, the rollout/absorption will be slow.

The interesting bit will be the new auto/guided functions. As a techie who can't cook, the hardest thing getting started with my 31 (absent any local guidance) was learning the food prep sequencing. If the version 5 can streamline the user experience (make it more fire and forget), adoption will be faster/easier.

BTW, speaking as a business owner who works with a lot of engineers (making flashlights), the 'blunder' is classic engineer thinking. This is bad because engineers are in charge and they don't intuit human behavior but it's also good because engineers are in charge, so we're always going to get a good product.

Were I running things, I would have stopped 31 production a few months earlier and let supplies dry up. That alone would have created anticipation, without hurting customers or their image or shown their cards to copy cats. And lost sales would be made up with a demand surge for the new model.

Offline arafalov

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 14, 2014, 03:41:29 pm »
I am beginning to think it is timeTM Australia opened several shops where Thermomixers and accessories can be bought without the crazy sales model and in home demos.
I think this occurs in Canada. But stand to be corrected.

In Quebec (Canada), the shops seem to be the primary way to sell it. And they have it in stock, so you just walk out with one. I think they offer home demos as well, but not sure if that's independent consultants or just somebody from the shop.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
Love it electronguru. Exactly right about engineers!

Totally agree with the way Americans cook  or rather don't cook. I do believe there will be more publicity and exposure with the TM5 in the US where it is not well known. Could even appear on Chefy shows like MasterChef and no doubt celebrity chefs doing their thing as the machine is in many restaurants .

It will be very interesting to see what happens and if it takes off with the good cooks in American homes.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline thenorthern

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:20 am »
When I first learned that Thermomix don't sell in the US I was actually really surprised.  There isn't much technology that the rest of the world has and the US doesn't.  And while I get that the way Americans eat and cook vs Australia/Europe/Canada is a little different, it's not so different that the TMX wouldn't be useful.  I am thankful Australia hasn't missed out like it does with way too many things though.
Soon to be owner from Melbourne, Australia.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 15, 2014, 02:31:31 am »
There has been a problem with selling into the States. It could be the direct selling method or more likely safety issues which the locked lid has now fixed. There is no doubt there will be a North American launch next year.
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Petruka

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:33 am »
New member, here. Hoping to have a Demo on the new machine in the next couple weeks to see and play. Seems pretty crazy all that is going on with the new release, only started looking into these machines seriously in the last month but held off due to the rumour mill, thanks guys. I have noticed the price disparity between Australia and overseas and found this article today
http://m.afr.com/p/personal_finance/smart_money/thermomix_imports_recipe_for_success_ViMi9VnwECbWmytwtm76hJ
If the figures are correct & she bought her first 196 units for $50k, that's only $255 per unit wholesale. How does a unit $255 unit become a $2k unit? I have known several people who own and rave about their thermies, which from all accounts are an awesome machine, but struggling in myself to justify why I should support such a mark-up which only occurs here in Aus. I guess it's just my principles about what is a reasonable mark-up holding me back as I would not want to support a business that profiteers of a captive market. The 2nd hand prices are great atm, but am worried about the lack of warrenty on a machine that I have no first hand experience using. If you were in my position and seriously considering becoming a first time owner given your experience, would you recommend getting 2nd hand tm31 or going the tm5? Great product, terrible distributer conflict... TY guys.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:16 am »
I think the bigest problem with sellingthe TM into the US is the price.  Americans all want a bargain.  My family freak out at the cost of somethings in Australia amd when we go back for a vist prices seam reasonalble and we don't heswitate to buy things where they look at something and will say that is too much I wouldn't pay that much for that.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2014, 03:24:42 am »
Petruka, after sales service is very good and not too many of us have had any problems to require it.  For me though, I want all the new features.  I love the recipes on the screen and feel it would make learning yo use the machine ( which isn't difficult but is a little different to the way I cooked before) much easier.  Either way I have no doubt you will be happy, especially now you have found the support of thus wonderful forum.
Denise

Offline Petruka

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:47 am »
This forum is one of the reasons why I am considering going the 2nd hand route. It seems that the biggest strength of this machine is the people itself who make up forums like this one. The TM31 is a proven machine but it is the lack of warranty 2nd hand that worries me a little as you can never be sure what happened to it previously. Locally there are a couple going for $1300 1 y/o with extras like 2nd bowls etc. If anything goes wrong though I think the repair cost would negate all savings over buying the new one with the warranty. Like most I have a kitchen full of individual appliances and like the idea of losing a few just to de-clutter. Having 1000's of great looking recipes across these forums that keep catching my eye is just a bonus. Thinking of heading back to uni for a 2nd degree and becoming very time poor once more which is what got me back into researching the thermomix again.

Offline Bon

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 15, 2014, 07:15:44 am »
Hi Petruka  I am in the same boat, trying to decide between a second hand TM31 with 2 bowls or a new one before the price goes up end of October.Am tending towards just biting the bullet and getting a new one though.My rationale is, even though a number of the T31 are only months old if something goes wrong you will have no recourse from either the seller or from Thermomix itself as warranties are not transferable .  I have been vacillating about buying a TM for months ,wasn't sure I would use it, so bought a cheapie knock-off and played around with it and really found the thermo cooking style suited me.

If there was a way to by-pass dealing with TM Australia i would, as I have real issues with their business ethos but i figure there maybe teething issues with a new model so for me having an Australian warranty was the decider.

From what I can see the two machines are very similar so recipes and forums such as this delightful one will still be relevant whatever you choose.

Offline Fenix

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 15, 2014, 08:19:29 am »
Has anyone got a TM5 at home already or are they just doing the rounds for demos?

Offline Bon

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:42 am »
Can't find much actual feedback anywhere (FB, You Tube, forums etc) so suspect not many are around just yet. The little feedback there is is also wildly different, some saying it is SO much better ,others saying there's little difference.Seems like there are quite long waiting periods for those that have ordered too.A consultant I contacted was only getting hers this weekend. There are a few videos from TM UK on YouTube and I think earlier in this thread there were a few comments ,but looks exciting, so I am glad I waited.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:17 am »
Our moderator in the UK, Cornish Cream has the TMX 5.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:35 pm »
waiting for mine to be delivered,
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url