Author Topic: Help my blades are not spinning & it sounds terrible!!  (Read 46366 times)

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
Re: Help my blades are not spinning & it sounds terrible!!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:53 am »
Thanks all. This is all excellent info especially re overloading the bowl and sizes of food to blitz etc.
Can I ask though - what exactly does "releasing the blades" or "stripping the blades" mean??

Also, an IT question: I'm on tapatalk and I can't find where to start a new post/question. Any tapatalk users can tell me how to start a new thread. I can only work out how to "reply"? Thank you in anticipation.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 01:50:53 am »
Hi CD -I use tapatalk on my iphone - and still learning about it . . . from what I've just worked out on my phone .
Go to "forum"
Choose the section in which your new thread will be placed  e.g., swapping recipes . . . .soups
In the top right hand corner of the screen is an arrow -
 touch that and it will bring up these options: refresh;
  new topic;  subscribe  ;  mark as read; open in safari

Select new topic, type in your subject and then the body of your message - press send button in top right hand corner.

If you're working from an ipad, then maybe someone else can help.  Unfortunately, I've never used an ipad so I don't know how different or how similar the screens would be . . . Good luck!

Offline RhubarbWhine

• Rhu
    • View Profile
    • Rhubarb Whine
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 02:44:29 am »
Got my fridge magnet on Friday.  Thanks HO :)

QLD Australia      http://www.rhubarbwhine.com

Offline Curry Diva

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 04:03:30 am »
Thanks GF, it worked a treat. Much appreciated. Now I'm onto it.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 04:22:44 am »
I don't know the exact meaning of stripping the blades Curry Diva but if you do it, they are stuffed no good anymore  ;)
To prevent it happening, don't chop more than the machine can handle.  Keep the sizes of your vegies etc uniform and do them in stages if you have lots to chop.  Not many recipes do but, for example, if you filled the bowl with raw pumpkin chunks and proceeded to chop - it might not damage them right at that very moment but in time that will be the final outcome and one day when you are doing a simple low load recipe, they will just not work.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 04:27:38 am »
Thanks GF, it worked a treat. Much appreciated. Now I'm onto it.

Your most welcome, CD - glad it has worked for you!! :D

Offline Curry Diva

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:50 am »
Thanks JD that makes sense. Ta.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:44 am »
I can't find the most recent thread about a blades problem, so I'll just tack my post on here as its relevant.

One of the things that we are NOT told when we are being sold a machine is that the blades are classed as a "consumerable item". They will mention that the seal needs to be replaced, but that will only cost $20. They don't tell you that if you use your machine a lot then the shaft will wear out and you will need to purchase a new set at $115 a pop.

I bought my machine in 2009 and roughly every 18 months have had to buy new blades. I am now having to buy my 4th set and HO tried to insinuate that I overload my blades and that if they replaced my blades for free they would have to do it for everyone.  I do use my machine a lot, but not so much in recent months as there has only ever been 1-2 people to cook for. I definitely do not overload my blades and think they are ignorant to assume that if I had been doing that in the past then surely I would've learnt my lesson by now  :-)) (hello I'm not stupid). I only follow the recipes in the EDC, TM books and here on the forum so if these recipes overload my machine then I'm a monkeys uncle. Also tried to insinuate that perhaps the other people using it may be using it incorrectly. Basically they are sidestepping the fact that the blades are not overly durable when used a lot for the purpose of mixing, mincing, grinding, grating, and stirring.

You get told that the TM replaces lots of kitchen appliances and that it is also used by lots of chefs in restaurant, and how "so and so" (famous chef) has X amount, etc, and the high price tag is because its a quality German manufactured product. I am sure the kitchen hands in restaurants do not treat their TM in the same way that I do. If the life expectancy of the Thermomix blades was 5 years for me that would be fine. I feel the way that it was sold to me and I'm sure most people as to be of outstanding German workmanship and used in commercial kitchens worldwide, then it should be fine in my little domestic kitchen.

I bet if more people were told about the blades wearing out and the need to replace them, they would take this into consideration when outlaying $2000 for a machine. If you are going to a demo - make sure you ask this question from the demonstrator. So far this has been my one gripe about this machine and I think that HO handled my complaint poorly.

:P  *thumbs down*

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 10:06:12 am »
It sounds like you and I had a similar outcome CP with blades + replacement + HO response. I have been a little shocked to discover that the blades are a consumable item  .  Thankfully I have the 2nd bowl whilst waiting the arrival of new blades!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:01:46 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »
I think this is the thread you were looking for CP.  Did you remember that the blades used to cost $150 before they went down to $115?  The original price would be hard to swallow. 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:06 pm »
I've only gotten by these past weeks by having the second bowl as well. My consultant thought I was lucky in that respect that it was cheaper this time and it was a bonus. I just don't share her optimism. I even paid for the blasted postage so I didn't have to deal with her face to face because she annoys me. She made it sound like the blade problem was quite extraordinary, but I know from here that it happens all the time  :-)) just love how they call it a "consumerable item" after the warranty runs out.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
I too ordered direct CP!!!!
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:39 am »
CP I can understand your feelings. I think it is something we all need to publicise a little more. I was going to suggest writing to HO. But that would probably be pointless. Bugger bugger.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 10:07:56 am »
Not acceptable CP.  What can we Do? We are a pretty big consumer group  of the same product and we certainlywe have a collective voice. Any ideas?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 10:22:46 am »
Have you contacted Vorwerk CP?