Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9009044 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #990 on: July 11, 2009, 10:14:40 am »
Today I have made 2 lots each of steamed garlic rice and Thai Chilli Chicken to help feed the adults at grandson's 1st birthday party tomorrow. Knowing the taste buds of the children attending, you can bet they will want some too though. Also made pasta carbonara for our lunch. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

stacelee

« Reply #991 on: July 11, 2009, 10:51:13 am »
Day Three of my thermomix and today I've made hommus from scratch complete with making the tahini and cooking the chickpeas in my pressure cooker.  I then made butter.  Unfortunately I then had to go to my mothers and out shopping with the eldest child and annoying (:P) husband.  Since getting back at 4.30 I've made a batch of the stock concentrate and butter chicken is now cooking for dinner.  After dinner I'm planning on making up a batch of cake mix to use instead of bought mixes (very handy when the feral fairy (12 year old daughter) decides to cook.  I'm also trying to figure out how to modify the stock concentrate to have a more thai flavour as I make a lot of thai soups....can see me playing with lemon grass and coriander tomorrow...luckily I have both growing in the garden.

Have a great night
Stacey

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #992 on: July 11, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
wow stacey, souds fabulous! please post your thai stok concentrate recipe when you've concocted it!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #993 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »
Another child-free afternoon in the kitchen - hooray!!!

I made some more puff pastry and it was so much easier this time.  Only took about 10 minutes to get to the refrigerating stage unlike last time when it seemed to take me all afternoon.  I used half for some pasties (vegies and meat whizzed up in my thermie) and half for danishes with stewed apple (stewed in thermie).  I then made some orange and lemon cordial (my Hubby's favourite - aside from a good Shiraz  ;) ) and used the fruit pulp to make fruit spread.  We weren't keen on the taste of the fruit spread I've made in the past, so this time I peeled the fruit before making the cordial.  This batch is a lot sweeter without the pith, but I did need to add pectin to help it set.  The cordial seems a lot sweeter and nicer today also - perhaps it is just the lovely oranges that are about at the moment.

Am a bit tired now, but it is nice to know that the fridge is stocked up with goodies (ready for unexpected visitors tomorrow :))!

Chelsea  :)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 12, 2009, 06:11:21 am »
I just made some of the corn chips out of the kids snack book, no sooner were they out the oven than half of them already eaten! 
I am looking at my cumquat fruit tree laden with fruit and wonder if I should try making cumquat jam in the Tm or stick with the trusted stove top method....I am still not convinced of its jam making ability

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #995 on: July 12, 2009, 08:03:47 am »
Crusty artisan bread (from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Book) and red lentil soup for dinner on this wintry Sunday night!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #996 on: July 12, 2009, 12:22:38 pm »
Day Three of my thermomix and today I've made hommus from scratch complete with making the tahini and cooking the chickpeas in my pressure cooker.  I then made butter.  Unfortunately I then had to go to my mothers and out shopping with the eldest child and annoying (:P) husband.   Since getting back at 4.30 I've made a batch of the stock concentrate and butter chicken is now cooking for dinner.  After dinner I'm planning on making up a batch of cake mix to use instead of bought mixes (very handy when the feral fairy (12 year old daughter) decides to cook.  I'm also trying to figure out how to modify the stock concentrate to have a more thai flavour as I make a lot of thai soups....can see me playing with lemon grass and coriander tomorrow...luckily I have both growing in the garden.

Hey Stacey, looks like you may have developed an addiction  ;) ;) ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #997 on: July 12, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
Another child-free afternoon in the kitchen - hooray!!!

I made some more puff pastry and it was so much easier this time.  Only took about 10 minutes to get to the refrigerating stage unlike last time when it seemed to take me all afternoon. 

Great work - sounds like you are becoming addicted having fun too  ;) ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #998 on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:46 pm »

Great work - sounds like you are becoming addicted having fun too  ;) ;D

When the torrential rain forced my Hubby to cancel his golf tournament I positively danced with joy! Our boys love following Daddy about and that leaves me free to play in the kitchen.  What a horrible wife I am!!!

Chelsea  ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #999 on: July 12, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
Today I have made 2 lots each of steamed garlic rice and Thai Chilli Chicken to help feed the adults at grandson's 1st birthday party tomorrow. Knowing the taste buds of the children attending, you can bet they will want some too though. Also made pasta carbonara for our lunch. 

All the very best for the birthday party JD! You have been working very hard with TMX to get so much prepared. Hope it all goes (or went by now...) well  ;D ;D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1000 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:26 pm »
Tonight "Jeanie" and I (sorry Thermomixer - but the TMX would have to be a female to follow orders so well  ;) :D :D :D ) whipped up some Honey Soy Mini Drumsticks with rice and steamed vegies for dinner as we have friends over.  They were wrapped at the taste of food made from scratch  ;D ;D ;D Then to show off (as we do...  ;)) some chocolate custard for the kids with fresh strawberries.Yummo!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1001 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:52 am »
Tonight "Jeanie" and I (sorry Thermomixer - but the TMX would have to be a female to follow orders so well  ;) :D :D :D )

LOL - I'll try that with MrsT tonight - "GET OUT IN THE KITCHEN AND ....."  This may be my last post  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Made prawn oil, prawn bisque (forgot to photograph !) and started some prawn crackers (from The Cook and The Chef) - drying to fry at present - will report back.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 13, 2009, 03:13:53 am »
All the very best for the birthday party JD! You have been working very hard with TMX to get so much prepared. Hope it all goes (or went by now...) well  ;D ;D
  All went well but as I am biased, the best food there was cooked in the TMX 8) 8) 8)

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 13, 2009, 06:05:24 am »
Made hollandaise sauce in the THX for the first time turned out great. My daughter requested it for the broccoli. I also made coriander chutney. The THX makes it so easy to do. The hardest part was remembering to write it down so I could post the recipe. Very hot here (42℃) so not doing a lot of cooking, but have made the gazpacho several times.
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:10 am »
Had one of those cooking-all-sorts-of-things day. Started with a cheesymite scroll - basically a scone dough mixture instead of having to wait for a yeast mixture to rise (I hate waiting for this step) but don't know how they compare to the real thing.  I liked them, DH wasn't too sure and only had 1. Then I made faffa_70's minted carrot soup (I was too full by then to try it but DH enjoyed it) and we were going to have a chicken stir-fry for lunch but that sort of messed up and I turned it into a delicious soup instead ??? ??? (Bron would be proud of me). Lastly, I made the chocolate cigars from Masterchef to the end of the rolling up stage then I put them in the freezer until needed.  I chopped the nuts very carefully in the TMX but the chocolate wouldn't melt so I had to resort to the microwave for that step before mixing everything together in the TMX.  They are very messy to make and not something I would be wanting to do in front of visitors - I had splashes of melted butter all over the place, up the backsplash etc with me trying to work as quickly as possible and making heaps of mess in the process.  They made it look so easy on MC  :P :P :P  One of these days, when we have visitors, I will cook how ever many I need and then just have to make the sabayon or zabaglione in front of visitors.  Will get back to you all when that day arrives - nothing planned at this stage but at least I have the dessert ready to go. 

After  bit of a break, I then had to tackle tea so good old baf65's all-in-one-chicken meal made it easy for me.  Had some mushroom sauce in the freezer so had that for a change from the cheese sauce.  I just love this meal and you can vary the taste with different spices or sauces  and also vary the vegies for a great, healthy meal.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:53:44 am by judydawn »