Author Topic: All Purpose Ice Cream Recipe KIS pge 150  (Read 11908 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
All Purpose Ice Cream Recipe KIS pge 150
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:36 am »
Made this with home made condensed milk and until it had set I was sceptical as I thought the condensed milk tasted too milk powdery (which would ultimately be something I did to change the original recipe).  Last 5 mins I added the Hazelnut Honey Praline (in the book)  and can honestly say this is a superb ice cream. Really creamy, and really delicious. Reminiscent of Hokey Pokey, but 10 times better.

Note: if you are bashing the nut praline - don't do it on the Silmat as the toffee is sharp and will cut the mat - alot.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:10:26 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: All Purpose Ice Cream Recipe KIS pge 150
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:56:21 am »
Thanks to CP's review above, I made this today. Made the honey praline minus the nuts to keep DS6 happy and it's divine. As CP says, just like hokey pokey. Fits perfectly in the Tovolo icecream container too.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:34 am »
My container is nearly empty so it looks like this will be next on the list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Bonsai

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:57:38 am »
Made this yesterday and stirred a puréed mango through it. I chilled the condensed milk before making it as I churned it in my icecream maker. Frozen product very yum, almost too good to use for Xmas lunch.

Offline Burgerb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:40:31 am »
Made this today. Super yummy & super creamy. Much appreciated by everyone. DH even said there is no longer any need to go to dairy bell for the family treat. Used 150g raw sugar to make praline to mix through. Far too sweet, will try 80-100g next time & reduce milling time. Made my own condensed milk from The Opies website (500g milk makes just over 1 tin), highly recommend their recipe also.
Thanks Tenina!!!

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:39 am »
Bonsai, I have a box of mangoes, so will give this a go and follow your tip to chill condensed milk first and I'll churn it too.

Offline Burgerb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:08:54 am »
Yum. Just made the yummiest chocolate ice cream using this recipe with a slight modification. After making my own condensed milk, whilst it was still warm I melted 150g of green & blacks 70% into it. Then cooled the condensed milk/choc mixture and followed remainder of recipe. You either end up with the most delicious choc mouse or freeze for a choc treat. Not as healthy as puréed mango, but definitely good!!!!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
Great tweak, Sounds decadent.

Bonsai

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »
This is a really nice icecream. I don't know how it compares calorie-wise with my usual custard based one but who who cares, it isn't diet food!   It has the benefit of not requiring any heating of ingredients (unlike custard based) and is seriously good. It needs a few minutes out of the freezer to be scoopable like most home-made icecream. Probably my favorite icecream recipe now -although my hips aren't thanking me for it.

Offline Burgerb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:19 am »
My next variation is going to be melt some white choc through condensed milk then swirl some raspberries through.

Offline sammydb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
Made this today with the praline - amazing although very sweet and I think the sugar could be reduced but don't get me wrong, as is was totally devine too. The ice cream is so creamy and the best I have made yet - husband totally approved saying it tasted like shop bought premium icecream. Definitely a keeper! Going to experiment with passionfruit.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:20 am »
This is one of the easiest ice-creams I've ever made. So smooth and creamy without needing to use an ice-cream maker, what a winner this is.

I folded through some raspberry coulis and a glug of strawberry liqueur, set it in my fridge freezer from where it scoops perfectly.
Passionfruit would be nice too (without the seeds for me though).

Thanks Tenina.

Served it with a bit more strawberry liqueur.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:49:29 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:25:57 am »
I'm with you JD on the passionfruit seeds.  Just can't handle the 'crunch' in my mouth!  This is a fantastic icecream recipe.  Made some with the roasted balsamic strawberries the other day - delicious.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 12:49:24 pm »
This is our regular icecream. The batch I made the other day I rinsed out the vanilla paste jar with the cream to get all the bits out. It made a perfect vanilla icecream that DD has with the coloured bread.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:23:08 pm »
I have made this too and swirled apricot purée through it. It is a lovely creamy icecream, and very easy to make without an icecream maker.
However, (I can't believe I'm about to say this) I found it too sweet  :P
I think I'll make my own condensed milk like CP, but reduce the sugar and then use it to make the icecream.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous