Author Topic: Low sugar or sugar free AUSTRALIA DAY desserts, *S*  (Read 15050 times)

*jo*

Re: Low sugar or sugar free AUSTRALIA DAY desserts, *S*
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 11:17:04 am »
Cheers Karen, I followed your Mum's directions as they are the ones I followed from my Mum, to a tee.  The consistancy was absolutely perfect, incredibly light, more so than a normal meringue, perhaps that is a problem?  I found the egg whites to be perfectly airated, having made "normal" pavlovas previously they compared. 

I am thinking perhaps the equal doesn't have the weight of sugar or the abitlity to retain it's form when heated and then cooled.

Perhaps the lack of air flow does make a difference with the original recipe which makes sense.  I think I am just disappointed that it was perfect...for an hour...perhaps I should be happy with perfection even if it does last only an hour LOL

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:12 am »
what about making half the mix at a time?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 01:53:31 pm »
I don't do much in the way of desserts, but I'm thinking the dissolved sugar adds some crystalline structure to the egg whites, helping to support it once baked. 

*jo*

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »
Doing half may help as the four egg whites really do beat up very high, worth considering, good idea, thanks

Yes, I was thinking of substituting a small amount of sugar for the equal, the crystalization must make a difference, it does in any baking and overall a couple of tablespoons in a whole dessert won't make a big difference to my sons sugar levels.

It just shouldn't be this difficult :o

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »
It may be better to aim for a wider, flatter pav -  so it hasn't got so far to fall??  But same taste.

Another idea would be to make little meringue nests with some with equal - maybe a different colour - add some cochineal.  And some ordinary - too much trouble ???

Maybe cook at a slower temp so that it doesn't rise so much but dries out the mixture.  Pavs are cooked slowly, but low as you can go to avoid the air bubles in the mix expanding too much, then collapsing??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:05:27 am »
I tried the TM pav and it was quite flat. I took it out to my friends place and she had made a pav that wasn't quite that fantastic either, so we got a huge bowl, broke the pavs up into largish chunks, dolloped cream, sprinkled fruit thru it and served it like that. Kind of like, um, nachos?  It looked really exotic, tasted great and we figured a pav only looks good til you stick the knife in it to cut it up. Then it ends up all crumbled and stirred up anyway LOL.

Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 06:17:40 am »
i've seen that in the magazines womblydoo! kind of like a meringue trifle :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

*jo*

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:06 am »
I have made small nests and they too are perfect...for a short time.  It is DEFINATELY the lack of sugar, it has to be.  Thanks so much Thermomixer, I have so appreciated your ideas. 

Wombleydoo I have a similar presentation of pavlova in a Women's Weekly Cookbook, looks awesome...though it may be the chocolate sauce that is the real decider and that and the cream are no go here   >:(

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:39 am »
That's OK, I like a challenge - will get to work with some of the sugar alternatives and report back.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.