Author Topic: Fast Ed's steamed cheesecake from BHG  (Read 13423 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Fast Ed's steamed cheesecake from BHG
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 04:48:50 am »
i can't believe i just went to the markets and forgot to buy what i needed for this LOL
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 07:14:20 am »
Now, where do I start with this steamed cheesecake ???  This is what I did for 1/2 the recipe:-

Into the TM bowl I put a 250g packet Philly cream cheese (mind you, it weighed 230g so maybe the scales aren't that accurate after all), 75g castor sugar, 3 x 50g eggs (even these varied - 50, 55 & 60g), 1/2 tspn vanilla concentrated extract, 100mls thickened cream (I used light cream because that is what I had so don't know whether this affects the finished product or not). Blitzed it for 12 seconds on speed 6.
Prepared 4 x 200ml ramekins by spraying and placing a circle of baking paper in the bottom.  Poured the mixture evenly into the ramekins.  I warmed 50 mls of the conserve and drizzled 1-1/2 teaspoons in dots onto the surface of each ramekin. There is no need to run a skewer through to marble the mixture the dots do just fine.
Covered 2 completely in plastic wrap (like a parcel) and the other 2 in alfoil the same way, just to see the difference for those of you who don't like using plastic wrap. Had 4 layers on the top that way.
Placed 1 litre boiling water in the bowl with the varoma dish on top with the 4 little cheesecakes fitting snuggly in there. Set temperature to varoma, 60 minutes  on speed 3.  I checked them at 40 and 50 minutes but decided to leave them there for the whole hour.  I had 1-1/2 mc's full of boiling water left at the end of the hour but there was still enough in there at the 40 and 50 minute mark.  Don't know if I should have let it get that low so maybe top up with more boiling water at the 40 minute mark.
The cheesecake swells a lot and those with the plastic wrap on top fared a little better than the alfoil ones as the plastic wrap gives and the alfoil doesn't (unless you pleat it at the beginning.) I unwrapped them and placed them straight into the fridge for 1/2 hour (maybe I should have let them cool a little first on the sink).  The middle sunk when cold but that wasn't a problem - I just poured the combined lemonjuice and remaining conserve in there.  They were really nice and next time I will do the big one in a casserole dish.  I'm sure it will need a lot more than an hour though and I will definitely need some more people here to help me eat it ;D ;D.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 09:10:34 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 02:15:48 am »
I would thnk it would take at least an hour. When I do cheesecake in the oven, I use a pretty low temperature (about 250F) and a water bath to keep the top from cracking. It can take 2 hours, depending on the pan size (and therefore the thickness of the cheescake). But I think this method would make a really great cheesecake and I can't wait to have a reason to try it!
Aunt Annie