Author Topic: Fast Ed's steamed cheesecake from BHG  (Read 13430 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fast Ed's steamed cheesecake from BHG
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
Name of Recipe:Steamed cheesecake
Number of People:6?
Ingredients:
500g Philadelphia cream cheese
2/3 cup castor sugar
6 eggs
1-1/2 tspns vanilla extract
200 mls thickened cream
200g raspberry conserve

Preparation: Mix cream cheese and sugar together , add eggs, vanilla and cream and mix until combined.  Pour into a 20cm lined ceramic dish.
Mix 100g of the slightly warmed conserve through the cream cheese mix with the tail of a spoon to get a marbled effect.  Wrap the dish in 3 layers of clingfilm and place in the varoma dish.

Pour in a litre boiling water into the TM bowl, place the varoma on top and steam for 1-2 hours.  The cheesecake is cooked when it is firm to the touch all over the top and the sides are coming away from the edges.  Refrigerate 1/2 hour.

Slightly warm the remaining conserve with juice of 1/2 lemon and spoon over the cheesecake.  Place back in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Hope this is OK everyone, someone can put the mixing times in if they wish.  Now all we need is someone to try it and let us know if it works in the TMX. ;D ;D

TMX Method

This is what I did for 1/2 the recipe:-

Into the TM bowl I put a 250g packet Philly cream cheese (mind you, it weighed 230g so maybe the scales aren't that accurate after all), 75g castor sugar, 3 x 50g eggs (even these varied - 50, 55 & 60g), 1/2 tspn vanilla concentrated extract, 100mls thickened cream (I used light cream because that is what I had so don't know whether this affects the finished product or not). Blitzed it for 12 seconds on speed 6.

Prepared 4 x 200ml ramekins by spraying and placing a circle of baking paper in the bottom.  Poured the mixture evenly into the ramekins.  I warmed 50 mls of the conserve and drizzled 1-1/2 teaspoons in dots onto the surface of each ramekin. There is no need to run a skewer through to marble the mixture the dots do just fine.

Covered 2 completely in plastic wrap (like a parcel) and the other 2 in alfoil the same way, just to see the difference for those of you who don't like using plastic wrap. Had 4 layers on the top that way.

Placed 1 litre boiling water in the bowl with the varoma dish on top with the 4 little cheesecakes fitting snuggly in there. Set temperature to varoma, 60 minutes  on speed 3.  I checked them at 40 and 50 minutes but decided to leave them there for the whole hour.

I had 1-1/2 mc's full of boiling water left at the end of the hour but there was still enough in there at the 40 and 50 minute mark.  Don't know if I should have let it get that low so maybe top up with more boiling water at the 40 minute mark.

The cheesecake swells a lot and those with the plastic wrap on top fared a little better than the alfoil ones as the plastic wrap gives and the alfoil doesn't (unless you pleat it at the beginning.) I unwrapped them and placed them straight into the fridge for 1/2 hour (maybe I should have let them cool a little first on the sink).  The middle sunk when cold but that wasn't a problem - I just poured the combined lemonjuice and remaining conserve in there.

They were really nice and next time I will do the big one in a casserole dish.  I'm sure it will need a lot more than an hour though and I will definitely need some more people here to help me eat it
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:34:30 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Fast Ed's steamed cheesecake from BHG
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:14:36 pm »
wow that is a long steaming time!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »
wow that is a long steaming time!
He commented on the cooking time but can't remember why he said there may be vast differences, maybe someone else can remember why.  I'd check after an hour and see if it is firm.  It may take longer in the veroma though as his was actually sitting in some water in the saucepan and not just being steamed like we would be doing - if you know what I am trying to say ??? ???

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
110 out of 100 for efficiency JD!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thank you!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:39:48 pm »
yes i do know!

i did see most of it but couldn't hear it due to child interference  :P
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:45:57 pm »
110 out of 100 for efficiency JD!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thank you!
My pleasure.  Hey ILB, that 2 good things we've managed to get from the BHG show lately. :-* :-*

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »
you're right JD!! - plus the added excitement of seeing our baby on national tv  ;) :D :D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:21:10 am »
I wonder if you could halve this recipe?  I haven't actually watched the show yet as I taped it and watched MasterChef. Must watch it to see 'our baby'.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
Sounds really nice and easy! I would definitely not do longer than one hour, and possibly do it in 2 smaller dishes in the varoma. If you use boiling water already from the kettle, one hour MUST be enough. A Spanish Creme caramel which has 4 eggs in, sets in 40 mins, so 1 hour must be more than enough! I have some Mascarpone in the freezer and some homemade strawberry jam still left over, so will give this one a try out, although my only thing is going to be what dishes do I use?
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:15:38 pm »
i'm REALLY not keen on the plastic wrap thing - do you think it would work in a glass dish with jar? or the springform tin with a plate over? or even wrapped with foil instead?
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 01:54:28 am »
I can't see why the foil wouldn't work Karen but don't know whether I'd put a tin dish in there.  I have a casserole dish this particular size and it fits perfectly. I'd like to try it in individual ramekins to cut down on steaming time.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 02:13:15 am »
i missed that it was a ceramic dish (just assumed spring form) which makes much more sense in all that steam!
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 02:18:27 am »
I actually can't remember what he used but he did put some bamboo skewers on the bottom of the saucepan before adding the dish to the pan of water to keep the dish up off the bottom.  Of course, we don't need to do this in the varoma.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 02:38:01 am »
He did put bamboo skewers in the bottom of the pan (for those that may be interested ;)). I think foil would work just as well. Probably wrap it a couple of times still to keep out the moisture. When I make it the "old fashioned" - (now that I have TMX that can do it lol) I use a tin pudding basin and I put glad bake under the lid just to be sure but the lids don't seal so I really think that foil would do it.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 02:40:44 am »
I wonder if you could halve this recipe?  I haven't actually watched the show yet as I taped it and watched MasterChef. Must watch it to see 'our baby'.
I am going to make this today,using half the recipe and in individual pots, so will be back later to let you know how it went.