Author Topic: Chicken and Cashews with Coconut Satay Sauce and Coconut Rice (with photo)  (Read 177611 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Ha ha! Well, I've been looking into it actually - just don't know when I'll get time to DO it!!  :-))  Maybe from midnight to 3am each day I could work on it...  :D

Sounds great - sleep is for the weak lol  :o :o :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
I would love to get my hands on any book Quirky Jo wrote it would be excellent - however writing a book is a huge undertaking.  A friend of ours recently wrote / photographed / published a fabulous book all by himself - it took over 7 years and he was totally drained at the end.  He was let down on many fronts by people who had undertaken to assist  him, including several photographers.  Eventually he ended up going into the city and purchasing cameras, lights, reflectors, etc. etc. then he spent ages teaching himself how to stage photos and taking them so that they illustrated precisely his requirements.

However, having said all of that, his book had a limited run of 1,000, is unique in its genre in Australia and he is very proud of what he did (and rightly so - we are proud of him as well!!).  So Jo, if you go ahead you know you have a customer base of thousands who will be eagrly awaiting your final result.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Wow, 7 years… eeek!! I would be doing most things myself I think, as I'm a graphic artist by trade & have done all the artwork for books before, just not my own! Thinking of buying a light cube for food photography & seeing how my new camera goes - not sure, maybe I'm just dreamin'! Haven't had much time to think about it lately, so maybe it will be years away!  :-))
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
I have a light cube from when I was selling on ebay - they make life easier as you can photograph when you have the time! Mine was fairly cheap on ebay and works well!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Cool, I'll have a look when my computer comes back from the shop!

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
A big thank you Jo for posting this recipe.  I have been seriously needing some inspiration for using the TMX for dinners, I tend to stick to my old ways for dinners and use it more for food prep as I hadn't found a recipe I really loved.  This recipe was exactly what I needed, it was sensational!
Now, what recipe to try next that is going to compete with that one???!!!  Any thoughts?   :)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Thank you, Tarosuma!  :)

What kind of meals do your family enjoy?

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
I am starting to think that I love anything you post a recipe for Jo!   :)
You are right up my alley with food, actually judging by your blog you are right up my alley with lots of things!  I have high hopes of home schooling too but not sure if I am patient enough!  I have settled for second best at the moment and have gone with a very special Steiner/Waldorf school.
I am basically grain free although I do give the rest of the family rice/quinoa though not more than once a week or so.  Basically, we just love meat and vegetables and any nice ways to prepare them.  I don't have any fears of fats (except the horrible hydrogenated ones/unhealthy vegetable oils) I guess we just try to eat whole, real foods similar to what our great grandparents would have.  Sorry, I am probably not giving you much info to go on!
Recipes that usually have rice with them are ok as I just serve them with cauliflower rice instead.  I have just found that a lot of the recipes for the TMX dinners are very wet and rely a lot on rice to soak up the liquid.  I like a bit of substance in my meals!   :)
Also, I don't like using cornflour etc for thickening so I am struggling with that at the moment.  I need to experiment with kudzu etc instead but haven't ventured with that in the TMX yet.
I need to go through your blog again and dig out some more of your faves.  Thanks so much for all the time and effort you put into your love of TMX and nutrition and helping out others, you are my food idol!   :-*

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Aww, thanks Tarosuma  :-* :-* :-* Sounds like we have a fair bit in common! I know I feel at my best when I limit grains, but I do find I get hungry a lot more, unless I have plenty of potatoes (which my naturopath tells me I shouldn't)...  We like 'comfort food' type of meals best I think - rich casseroles with mashed potato/sweet potato or pasta, thick soups, lots of meat & veges...
One of our favourites is Sausage Casserole with Dumplings - you could make this with mashed potato on top instead of the dumplings (a bit like a shepherd's pie) & it would be delicious!

Not worried about fats either, just as long as they're wholesome - totally not worried about 'fat free' stuff, yuk! :) Do you use arrowroot instead of cornflour? I haven't tried kudzu, that would be interesting.

I add more meat/veges to a lot of the tmx recipes in the books because I find them too saucy too. Have you tried the Beef Rendang in the EDC? It's so delicious, but just add more meat and use coconut cream, (and reduce the amount a bit if you like) because it's very saucy!

I would suggest some more recipes but my brain is dead tonight!! I'm sure you'll find plenty of good ones on here - you could always start a thread asking for grain free meals... :)

Offline Meegles

• View Profile
I just wanted to say to Quirky and Tarosuma, that I am so with you on your eating endeavours!! I am a registered nurse but like to say that I have 'seen the light' after my first visit to a Naturopath and am reversing everything i ever thought I knew about food.. So much so that I am studying to be a Naturopath!! I love my 'Dobbie' because I can avoid all those revolting 'numbers' and make things myself like mayo and nut butters and curry pastes.. Tonight I am making this fantastic sounding chicken dish, so off I go!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Good on you Meegles, that's what I like to hear!!!  ;D I would love to study to be a Naturopath... but I think I've got enough on my plate!  :-))

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
Hi Meegles.  Sounds like you will fit in well with us then!  I would love to study naturopathy as well.  And when I find a nutritionists course that teaches real nutrition instead of politically correct, company $ driven, out of date content, then I will probably want to do that too! 

Offline allthingscraft

• View Profile
Planning to make this tonight for dinner. We are only 2 adults/1 fussy kid so I need to adjust the quantities down. If I only use 200g rice could you let me know if I need to adjust the time down from 20 minutes.  ??? Thanks.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
No, don't reduce the time, but it's fine to reduce the amount of rice and veges. Hope it goes well!  :)

Offline allthingscraft

• View Profile
Thank you, thank you, thank you - this dinner was so tasty. Even my fussy DD ate the rice and some chicken and carrots (minus the sauce) Yippee happy all round!