Author Topic: Best loaf tin for bread?  (Read 14857 times)

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
Best loaf tin for bread?
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:13 am »
Probably some stupid questions for experts,

I have tried Buttermilk bread and Helene's dark rustic bread, loved the results but the loaf was not as big as a normal supermarket bread. So my question, what is the ideal size of a loaf tin to get a proper slice :)

And also any pointers where I can get a good loaf tin?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:47:18 am by thermilover »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Making bread question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:01:37 am »
Thermilover, measure the size of the loaf you want. Buy a Bread tin that size. If you want a sandwich type slice, then you probably need a tin with a lid.
Many on here buy on line. I can't help you with this as I use bread tins, Pyrex and cake tins.  Anything to give the shape I want.
You may have to double the recipe to get a large loaf.
Bread making is good fun so keep at it.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:44:36 am »
good question thermilover, I recently bought a sandwich loaf tin and a lid from here and I made JO's sour cream loaf which is just beautiful however it still wasn't enough as it came only 3/4 of the way up the side of this tin. I will need to find a recipe that probably uses 600-700g of bread flour...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:13 am »
Thanks chookie and CreamPuff :) I knew I could always rely on this forum even for my stupid questions..

And Chookie, as you said I love the idea of having homemade bread, now with a thermomix, its so much more easier... I just go crazy with the smell of freshly baked bread, its just out of this world   :D Loving the recipes i have tried already but searching for one which my 14 month old will eat anytime... dont want to give her white bread..

Sorry to add another question but since I am new to bread making, what do we use the lid for? I dont think we bake in a tin with lid, right? Or is it to store the baked bread?

Thanks for bearing with me :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Best loaf tin for bread?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:09 am »
Thermilover, no question is stupid.
The lid is to give you 4 flat sides, like a sandwich loaf you might buy.  It also compresses the dough as it rises so gives a fine texture to the bread.
Your littlie might like Laucke's wholemeal bread mix. You could start by making 1/2 white and 1/2 wholemeal  until she gets used to it and then gradually add a higher ratio of wholemeal over time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Best loaf tin for bread?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:53:06 am »
Thermilover I use Chookie's no fuss recipe and use about 100g of whole meal spelt sometimes. It is healthier than all white but looks much the same. Sometimes I use so e rye flour as well.
I have lots of bread tins and have slowly learned which ones are best for which breads. The one I use for this recipe ( no fuss recipe) is shown in the photo below. It measures 25cm long, 9cm wide on the base. 28cm long, 12cm wide on the top. It has sloping sides. It is 11cm high. It was quite expensive but doesn't need greasing and cooks the bread well.
However as Chookie mentioned you can cook your bread in anything.
This recipe is the one I use for my everyday bread. I add seeds etc when I wish.
Here is the bread tin.
This is the bread I make in it.

The bread is back left.

The bread usually looks like this.
Good luck and have fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:09 pm »
CreamPuff, I bought the sandwich loaf tin you suggested and OMG, its beautiful, expensive but feel it is gonna be worth it as I wasted money on few
not so good loaf tins.. And I am sure with winter fast approaching, I will be making a lot of soup and bread ;)

But would like to work out how to make the perfect loaf in it..
Can someone suggest me the right temperature and time to use for the below measurements of loaf :

I used 676g baker's flour
3 tsp dried yeast
390ml warm water
salt n sugar

Basically I just used the plain no fuss rolls recipe and multiplied with 1.3 to use in the new loaf tin I bought..

I made one yesterday with these measurements, it went all good but only that it broke into half on one side :(
I put it initially at 210 deg for 45 mins and then extended for another 20 mins...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:32:39 am »
Thermi lover, that sounds a bit long cooking time. I only bake my loaves for 40 minutes at 200FF. ( for 500 flour) But all ovens are different.
Buy yourself a good digital thermometer to stick into the loaf.  When it reads 200 F plus it is cooked.
I might sound a bit vague but all ovens are different and the tin you use also makes a difference.
You have a good tin, you have adapted the recipe to suit the tin,  now keeping those consistent, try different times for baking. I would reduce the time you used by 10 minutes to start with.
Once you have this right, then you can play with the recipe by substituting seeds, different flours etc.
have fun.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 02:49:05 am »
Thank you so much Chookie, I will give that a go with reduced time.. But would surely want to thank you for the recipe as it
has made me stop having store bought :)

Sorry to be a pain, but one more question, since I am using a lid, not sure if there is a way I can stop the bread from sticking to it...
I have used the lid while proofing for the second time, so that I can get a flat top...
Any ideas?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 03:11:04 am »
Thermilover when I use the lid I spray with canola oil to stop the dough sticking

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 04:55:24 am »
Ohhh, Thank you so much Wonder, will try that tip the next time :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:40 am »
Yes, Wonder is correct. I have found Canola oil the best oil to use with bread. I also use Cake Release with success.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:30:33 am by judydawn »

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:59:26 pm »
Woww, Thank you so much Chookie, will add this to be personal recipe book, love the reviews
and sticking is surely a problem for me when making cakes/muffins/bread... this will be really handy   :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 07:07:03 am »
Judy, thanks for doing the link.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:19 pm »
Thanks Chookie, Wonder and Judy...
With all the suggestions, made a wonderful loaf, this time used baker's flour and also the cake release...
Loving it!!!!! Will be trying a wholemeal and multigrain version next but as hubby and lo prefer the plain one, it will be a regular now :)