Author Topic: Orange Braised Lamb  (Read 8142 times)

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
Orange Braised Lamb
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:05 am »
Orange Braised Lamb

Serves 4

Ingredients:
500g diced lamb or beef (not a cheap cut unless you want to add cooking time)
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1pkt Hearty Beef Soup Mix
250g water
500g orange juice

Chop onion and garlic for 5 seconds on speed 7.    Add all ingredients and cook for 35 mins on 100 degrees on reverse and soft speed.

You can add choice of vegetables (baby potatoes, carrots etc into varoma  and place on TM Bowl or serve with mash potatoes.

members' comments

JD - We had this for lunch and as I thought, there was too much liquid for the amount of meat.  I did reduce the orange juice by 250 gms as I only had 320g of lamb backstrap and I thought this would compensate for the smaller quantity of meat.  However, it was still too much liquid.  I just served the meat with a slotted spoon, it wasn't a real problem.  Very tasty though and the expensive piece of meat I used was cooked to perfection.
I even steamed potatoes, carrots, beans and trombone in the varoma dish and to my surprise, they were cooked before the meat had finished so I can cut them into bigger pieces next time. Because I steamed the vegies I thought I had better cook the meat on the varoma setting instead of 100o as per your recipe.
We will have this one again Karonjulie. I like recipes where you just throw everything in!

Note - Karonjulie reduced the amount of orange juice from 750 - 500g after this comment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:21:07 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Orange Braised Lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:14 am »
Another easy and tasty recipe - great stuff.  Thanks
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:35:15 am »
I want to try this recipe tomorrow Karonjulie. It seems a lot of liquid for 500g of meat - does the packet of dry soup mix thicken all that liquid?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:15 am »
We had this for lunch and as I thought, there was too much liquid for the amount of meat.  I did reduce the orange juice by 250gms as I only had 320g of lamb backstrap and I thought this would compensate for the smaller quantity of meat.  However, it was still too much liquid.  I just served the meat with a slotted spoon, it wasn't a real problem.  Very tasty though and the expensive piece of meat I used was cooked to perfection.

I even steamed potatoes, carrots, beans and trombone in the varoma dish and to my surprise, they were cooked before the meat had finished so I can cut them into bigger pieces next time. Because I steamed the vegies, I thought I had better cook the meat on the varoma setting instead of 100o as per your recipe.

We will have this one again Karonjulie. I like recipes where you just throw everything in!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:15 am »
what's a trombone?  :o ???
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:42 am »
(obviously you wouldn't be steaming a musical instrument ;))
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:10:30 am »
It's a pumpkin!  Have you never heard of it in Canberra? 

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:36:24 am »
i wondered if it might be but no, haven't ever heard that term before!
My Cooking Blog

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:40:33 am »
Yes it its very liquid.   I think because we have it with mash potatoes it isn't really a problem with us as we like it more runny than thick.  I have reduced the orange juice from 750 go 500g in the recipe and I guess you could add 2 pkts of the beef soup to thicken it a bit more if you like the a thicker texture.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:09 am »
and I guess you could add 2 pkts of the beef soup to thicken it a bit more if you like the a thicker texture.

I would be inclined to either leave out the water, or add some flour to thicken it, as the extra packet of soup may make it a bit strong?

If it was looking too thick near the end of cooking you could add some water.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.