Author Topic: Banana Cake  (Read 60847 times)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Banana Cake
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:42:55 am »
Banana Cake

115g butter
1 & 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
small cup brown sugar ie a flat cup, not heaped or packed down.
3/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
3 banannas (over ripe)
2 eggs
3 tabelspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method:-
Insert the butterfly whisk.
Cream the butter and sugar - whisk at speed 4 until creamy (approx 1 min), stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of TM with spatula.
Add eggs and chopped bannanas, whisk till mixed (approx 10 secs).  Scrape sides of TM
Add flour, milk, vanilla & carb soda, whisk at speed 3 until combined.  Scrape down sides of TM

Spoon mixture into greased and lined tin (I use 20cm ring tin).
Bake approx 40 mins 180C or until skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean.

Ice if desired with lemon or chocolate icing when cold.

Members' comments

marmee - This is delicious! We made GF (GF flour), dairy (rice milk) and egg free (egg replacer) and none of our "non-allergy" friends even noticed! Yummmmmo.

CP - I must say it's the best one I have ever tasted. It is really soft and moist, and there won't be any left for tomorrow.

Amanda -  I made this cake to get rid of brown bananas and it was just lovely!  I had 4 bananas so I put them all in and I also took out the butterfly and used the blades to process after creaming the butter and sugar. It was light and lovely and devoured by teenagers! Thanks!

Zan -  really nice cake.

rainbow - I made this cake and although it was edible and nice it was quite heavy and stodgy, has anyone else had that problem?

CP - no mine turned out beautiful. It was moist being a banana cake, but not too heavy.

rainbow - yes to SR flour but later I thought that my 3 banana's were very large so maybe just a bit heavy on the banana's, we still managed to eat it and I will try it again. 

brazen20au - made this one today for visitors and also a few batches for the cake stall at school - it's delish! a definite winner!

virgo9 - Yum, it is very light and moist. Didn't put an icing on it, as our usual for banana cake is a sprinkling of icing sugar. Definitely much easier than my normal banana cake recipe. Thanks.

dede - DD made this today, smells so good. She said the cake wouldn't fit in the cake container so she had to cut a piece off and eat it. (good idea  taste great.

Cecilia - love your Banana Cake recipe.  Worked a treat today.

Tan - served with custard. It is actually the "lightest" cake I have made so far with my TM.

KerrynN - This was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe.

thermo18 - Well I have half a banana cake left only, made this morning and it's going quick, another recipe that will be made again and again.  I have also made them into muffins size and will put some in the freezer for another day, love this recipe so light and fluffy. 

deedub - Very nice and light - I didn't bother icing it, lovely just on its own. This one is definitely a keeper.

sue purrb -  it was a big success. So light and fluffy. I iced it with cream cheese with lemon juice and maple syrup added, and just a bit of icing sugar. This will be my "go to" recipe for banana cake from now on. Great recipe, Trudy, and thanks for putting it in your "favourites" CP.

GF - very popular!  Another one into the file of firm family favourites!!

Hally - I made 20 mini cakes, only 7 left,  thank you.

BZB -  Lovely, light texture.

Emme - it is truly a lovely cake.  Thank you Trudy.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:53:12 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Bananna Cake
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:02 am »
Thanks Trudy - an old favourite the banana cake.  I used to make a cream cheese frosting for them.

It doesn't seem that long ago that we had no bananas - now they manage to go over-ripe  ;D ;D ;D

We were paying $11.00 per kg  >:( >:( >:(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »
Wow - I had no idea that Bananas could become so expensive! Were they special or the normal type?
Lovely cake Trudy!
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:40:21 am »
Wow - I had no idea that Bananas could become so expensive! Were they special or the normal type?

They were just normal bananas - in fact many were very under ripe - but we had a huge storm in the part of Australia that produces most bananas and they were in very short supply.  So the price went up accordingly. 

I stopped buying them more because they became tasteless and too hard for what they expected people to pay.  Many people just kept eating them - but many people prefer them to be firm and tasteless.  (Including my wife  ;D ;D)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:20:31 am »
Over the past few months the prices here in Adelaide have dropped.  Last week I paid $1.70kg - still not the 99cents per kg that was around pre cyclone but it's a lot better!!!  Now that the north, Coffs Harbour ect ahev been hit by floods I suppose we can expect another price jump!!!!

Trudy

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 03:57:32 am »
This is delicious!

We made GF (GF flour), dairy (rice milk) and egg free (egg replacer) and none of our "non-allergy" friends even noticed!

Yummmmmo.

Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 04:09:58 am »
Thanks Trudy - an old favourite the banana cake.  I used to make a cream cheese frosting for them.

It doesn't seem that long ago that we had no bananas - now they manage to go over-ripe  ;D ;D ;D

We were paying $11.00 per kg  >:( >:( >:(

That brings back memories Thermomixer - Here in WA they got to about $14.00 kg and I was pregnant at the time and suffering my first ever morning sickness with pregnancy number 5 so thought I would buy myself a couple of banana's. My DS (15 at the time) happen to walk into the kitchen and before I could even utter the words you touch them you die, his words were...DID WE WIN LOTTO OR SOMETHING...to which I had to ask...No why?? and the response was... We have BANANAS!!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14:05 am »
i think they got to $16/kg here for a while :-))
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
DD eats at least 1 banana a day and she ended up having to take potassium tablets for a while as she (and I) were too mean to pay the price they were asking for bananas at the time. :-\ :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:20 pm »
Went to the local supermarket today, and flashed my best smile whilst asking for some over ripe bananas - ended up with about 8 lovely banana's out of the good pile that had just started to get some black marks on the skin and paid $3. Have to be pleased about that! Made the cake, and I must say its the best one I have ever tasted. It is really soft and moist, and there won't be any left for tomorrow  :-[
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »
Good work - I love ripe bananas - but all my staff throw them out when a spot of black hits them !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline lauzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:31 pm »
Just came back from Far North Queensland and am happy to say that banana production is well on its way to recovery.  The local bananas were soooo sweet - I wish I could have brought them back with me.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:19:23 pm »
Good work - I love ripe bananas - but all my staff throw them out when a spot of black hits them !!!

Sack them  ;D ;D ;D

Just came back from Far North Queensland and am happy to say that banana production is well on its way to recovery.  The local bananas were soooo sweet - I wish I could have brought them back with me.

Very happy to hear that - love my banana's although we are also lucky enough to have Carnarvon here in the west produce them for us  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Banana Cake
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 03:50:27 am »
Trudy, I made this cake on Sunday to get rid of brown bananas and it was just lovely!  I had 4 bananas so I put them all in and I also took out the butterfly and used the blades to process after breaming the butter and sugar.
It was light and lovely and devoured by teenagers!
Thanks!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Green

• View Profile
Re: Banana Cake
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 04:00:06 am »
Wow I'm in cake heaven! My all time favourite! Now I can make it in my TM. Thanks.