Author Topic: SPECULAAS (Dutch Spice Biscuits)  (Read 23996 times)

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
Re: SPECULAAS (Dutch Spice Biscuits)
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
This is great timing for me. I'm in the process of investigating Speculoos Spread recipes.... You can buy the spread from a cafe in the us and now the uk, and my eldest daughter desperately wants some. But she is gluten-free so can't eat the commercial one.

I will have a go at your recipe, with GF flour, and then use some of the biscuits for spread....

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:29 am »
Can you buy some from Belgium Anne?

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »
The spread is from a cafe chain called Le Pain Quotidien. I have bought a jar, but it's supposed to be a stocking filler for a non- gluten sensitive child, so I haven't opened it.

I'm afraid I'm decorating another child's bedroom at the moment, so I've not been spending much time in the kitchen...

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
Goodluck Anne.  Hope the spread turns out just the way your daughter likes it.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »
I adore Dutch Speculaas. Do they taste like the bought ones?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
Pretty much Meagan.  We have several Dutch friends and they love them. 

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 06:16:53 am »
Excellent, thanks. I'll be making these soon, then!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
I've made these tonight and while they are nice I think I prefer the recipe from Devil of a Cookbook. I found the dough very soft and spread on cooking so they have held there shape well. I'll leave the mixture in the fridge for a while longer but don't think they are going to go very well using my stamp. I'm not sure what I did wrong as I thought I followed the recipe exactly.

Don't think the kids will like them either so I might have a lot of mixture left over.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 03:57:22 am »
Hi Wonder, I made a batch of these yesterday and here in Adelaide it's very hot.  Once I made the dough I placed it in the fridge and only took out just what I wanted to roll out.  They didn't spread though so don't know what made yours do that.  Perhaps do what Julie O said and place them in the fridge again after cutting out before you use the press. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
I was thinking that Trudy but unfortunately the family weren't a fan of these ones so will make the others again and think I'll have to bin the mixture  :(. I must have been out with my measurements or something as they are very dark and I had a lot of spice mixture left over whereas someone else said they had exactly the correct amount. We found the texture of the mixture a bit too buttery and floury, if that makes any sense - hard to explain.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 05:57:27 am »
Don't think it's my day to cook, didn't have enough cinnamon, so of to the shops, then not enough sr flour, that's ok ill use plain and baking powder, not enough baking powder. Luckily DD was at the shops .
Ready to go now and my machine just didn't like all that mixture, and just wouldn't cooperate, ended up kneeling it by hand, it's in the fridge now, will have to wait till I get back from work this pm.  I had a taste of the dough, lovely and spicy. It's going to make a lot of biscuits.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 09:17:58 am »
I don't like days like that Jeninwa. Some days everything I make turns out wrong. I give up early on those days.  :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 02:26:48 am »
Wonder, they are quite a dark biscuit and yes very spicy.  One of my grand daughters hates them while the other loves them.  As for the spice mixture I also have more than I need for one batch.  Go with the one that works for you and your family as it's not worth making things that don't get eaten.  I have been meaning to make the one from the Devil book but time has got away from me this year!!!!!   It's funny, this year I decided to try another almond bread recipe instead of making the one I usually do - big mistake!!   Stick to what works I say!!!!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 04:06:19 am »
Thanks Trudy, I've now got both mixtures in the fridge and just need to get the time to roll, cut and cook. I'll have to think about what to do with this mixture as I don't want to waste it. Glad to hear that you also had extra spice mix so maybe I didn't do anything wrong.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:11 am »
Wonder, if you have time to roll them out and bake them, give them as gifts or take them into work.  I often take my cooking "failures" or family rejects into work, and they get hoovered down in no time there.   I made a pavlova for the family the other night (trial run for Christmas) and both of the kids turned their noses up at it - so in to work it went.  I think DH was hoping to eat it all himself  ;)
Karen in Adelaide