Author Topic: Gluton Intolerence  (Read 7170 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Gluton Intolerence
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:49:43 am »
 :) Hi, I am wondering if my daughter could be gluten intolerent.
Any ideas, or sites you can suggest.

I am about to check out Quirkey jo's blog.
Also, where can I find info on the elimination diet.
Thanks,

Robyn :) :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:24:53 am by obbie »
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Gluton Intolerence
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:27:28 am »
Thanks Dizzy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:53 am »
It's not just coeliacs who can be gluten intolerant.
My partner is intolerant to gluten as well.
Best thing to do is to take your child to a doctor you trust with your concerns.
Take a food diary of everything she eats and any reactions she has.  Hopefully she can deal with small amounts so you don't have to get too extreme but just keep in mind that some are that sensitive!
I am currently doing the same for myself so I know some of this... :-))

Good luck and I hope your DD is feeling better fast!  :-*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:49 am »
what makes you think she might be gluten intolerant?

I have a gluten intolerance, as do numerous members of my extended family. everyone who has been tested for coeliac has come back with a negative result, but the gluten intolerance is very real.

many many doctors have absolutely no idea when it comes to gluten intolerance.
a food diary is a must, to take with you when you see someone. a doctor with an interest in food intolerance would be a good place to start, or get a referral to a dietitian or see a naturopath as they are more likely to have a working knowledge of food intolerance. if you don't think they know what they're talking about, then find someone you trust.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:39:00 am »
A food diary is a must. We thought I was gluten intolerant last year and started a diary, only to narrow it down to a wheat intolerance. My body is certainly much happier now if I stay off the wheat and it doesn't take very much at all to set me off again (i.e. a wrap in desperation of food one day when we were away from home unprepared :().

You need to be really diligent with your food diary, listing sauces/condiments that you use as well in it so you can trace back ingredients in that as well if you need to.

Good luck Robyn, hope you get to the bottom of it SOON and your daughter is feeling much better  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:18 am »
If you do suspect gluten intolerance then I would highly recommend seeing your GP to rule out Coeliac disease before removing gluten containing foods from her diet.

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:53 am »
A food diary and your GP would probably be your first port of call. My daughter was diagnosed in her 20s with
ceoliacs and looking back I think she was always had been but it just hit head on later for her. I wish I had been a bit more dilligent
when she was younger.

Welcome to the forum chaos.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 06:01:57 am »
Thanks, i'll do a food diary for her.
She has tummy troubles after cakes, bread, wraps, ect.

I'll get a drs appointment this week.
thanks, Robyn

[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:29:02 am »
poor love,i hope is she better soon.

hello and welcome to the forum chaos  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:24 am »
Good luck Robyn, I hope you get the answers you are after.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:29:44 am »
Robyn, I think it is important to check if your daughter is coeliac. If she is not, I would definitely follow through with food diary etc.

When my daughter and I tried a month gluten free (at the recommendation of our rheumatologist), then ate normally to see how we reacted, it was interesting.. My daughters symptoms did not change. Over three days away together and back on gluten I could not close my belt, buckle my shoes, wear my rings and had abdo pain and diarrhea., and all the arthralgia was back.

No coeliac, but definitely gluten intolerant. So regardless of know all health practioners it does happen! by the way I have been GF since 1997. It's no fad. Robyn, I hope you get some answers for your daughter.

And welcome chaos.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:18 am »
Hope you can get it sorted soon obbie.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:54 am »
Well, a update today.
Blood test show , now it has to be gluten free, and dairy free.

So now the hard work starts, see how we go with the changes in diet.

Robyn ???

[/url

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:59:47 am »
Oh Robyn - not so much hard work but a shift - a big one at that - but it will all fall into place,  At least now you have an explanation,

Couldn't help noticing your signature. . . My Thermomix brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen  You're so lucky to have the TMX in your kitchen so you can really keep an eye on what goes into what and not have to worry about hidden ingredients in bought packaged stuff.  And I'm sure your daughter will soon notice how much better she feels when she avoids certain foods and replaces them with something else that tastes just as good, if not better!  Good luck! :D