Author Topic: Tomato paste?  (Read 21797 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Tomato paste?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:10 am »
You could make small quantities - but if you remember some of the old adverts - it is tripilo concentrato (sp?) - so reduced to a third its volume ?

Probably with Varoma and speed 5 like dulce de leche and the basket with cloth over to avoid spills - or do it outside !!!!!

OK - now for volunteers  ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »
I was just thinking the same sort of thing tonight - I might try it.  Doesn't it usually have salt in it, kind of like vege stock concentrate, but maybe not so much?  Anyone know?
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »
Some have salt, but the one I've been using lately doesn't have any salt in it.  I'll definitely volunteer to try, just have to get my hands on lots of cheap tomatoes.  Market day tomorrow, so will try and get there.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 01:03:20 pm »
Well, if it's anything like dulce de leche, I know Mama Bel won't volunteer!!!  She had a very big mess a couple of times with that!

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 09:12:33 am »
I managed to get a big box of tomatoes for $3 yesterday, and a tray of mangoes for $5.  Both were needing to be used, but exactly what I needed.

So yesterday I made tomato paste!  Blended the tomatoes really well on speed 9, then simmered slowly for hours on the stove, no lid to allow evaporation, stirring occasionally.  End result is a different texture to the jars, but includes seeds and skins so more wholesome I presume.  Tastes very strong, so that's good.  Have frozen in ice cube trays (thanks Thermomixer) and will report back when I use them.

I wouldn't cook them in the Thermomix as it just takes so long.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:49:00 am »
Well done Cathy. I have a heap of very ripe tomatoes at the moment, I might give it a go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »
Thanks for that Cathy - did you add salt?  Or doesn't it need it?

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:41:20 am »
I didn't add any salt as the tomato paste I've been using has been 100% tomato.  So if what I'm adding the tomato paste to needs salt, I'll add it to that.  I think it's more flexible that way.  It's quite naturally salty anyway, as the tomato flavour is very concentrated.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:39:05 am by cathy79 »

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 02:23:34 am »
Okay, thanks!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 02:57:52 am »
I managed to get a big box of tomatoes for $3 yesterday, and a tray of mangoes for $5.  Both were needing to be used, but exactly what I needed.

So yesterday I made tomato paste!  Blended the tomatoes really well on speed 9, then simmered slowly for hours on the stove, no lid to allow evaporation, stirring occasionally.  End result is a different texture to the jars, but includes seeds and skins so more wholesome I presume.  Tastes very strong, so that's good.  Have frozen in ice cube trays (thanks Thermomixer) and will report back when I use them.

I wouldn't cook them in the Thermomix as it just takes so long.
Could you blitz again after cooking to make a similar consistency as jars???  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:53 am »
Possibly, but I think that the commercial varieties don't have the seeds and skin, and I'm guessing its the seeds and skin that does it.    Most of the recipes on the internet say to deskin and deseed, but I didn't go there.

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:44 am »
Thanks for your tips on how to make it, Cathy! I have a tonne of overripe tomatoes here to use up. Will report back afterward. :)
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

stacelee

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 09:24:38 am »
Hi,

I tried making tomato paste a different way today.  I cut 1.5kg of tomatoes in half.  Cooked them on 100C speed 1 reverse for 30 minutes until they were very soft.  Pushed them through a strainer/sieve to remove the skins and seeds.  The resulting goop, I cooked for 2 1/2 hours on 100c speed 2 reverse.  I ended up with a paste that was a little runnier than store bought tomato paste but has a very concentrated flavour.  I probably could have cooked it for another 15 minutes or so to get it a little closer to store bought but it is pretty close.

Take care
Stacey

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »
I sometimes cook tomato paste as well but i dont use the TM as its much faster to use a very big pot with a big surface that lets the  steam get out fast. I just cut the tomatoes in quarters and boil them with salt for 30 minutes, then i use a stick blender to make puré(my stick blender is very big as i have a professional kitchen but i guess you can use the TM)

After blended i turn down the heat and let it simmer until the texture has thickened. If kept cold and in sterilized glasses it will be good for at least a couple of months.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 09:08:14 am »
Now I wish I had bought more romas at the F&V shop today!  THey were only 99c for a 1kg bag!