Author Topic: Pappa col pomodoro (typical tuscan tomato soup)  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
Pappa col pomodoro (typical tuscan tomato soup)
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
Name of Recipe: Pappa col pomodoro
Number of People:4
Ingredients:
800 gr. tomatoes already cut and without seeds
1 garlic clove
100 gr. stale bread (with crust)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of sugar
Basil
400 gr. water
Vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
4 slices of Mozzarella cheese
Preparation:
Put tomatoes cut in pieces, garlic clove, oil, sugar and salt in the tm bowl and cook 10 min. 100' speed 1.
Add the stale bread cut into small pieces and the water with some vegetable stock and cook for other 10 minutes 100' speed 1: first 5 minutes with the lid on and the following 5 minutes without. Add some basil leaves and blend at speed 8 for 30 seconds. Pour into 4 bowls, decorated each with a slice of mozzarella cheese which will melt and serve with more olive oil drizzles over.

This is a typical soup you can find in the traditional food restaurants all around Florence. Even if a winter soup,  in summer you can serve it warm and it's equally nice!
Buon appetito!

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Re: Pappa col pomodoro (typical tuscan tomato soup)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:56 am »
I remember a very tasty dish of pappa al pomodoro that we had in Pisa:  Yum!
Thanks for the recipe Bedidassi.  I'll keep it in mind for this summer when I have fresh tomatoes in the garden  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:57 am »
Yes. That's it. Did you like Pisa? I've been to Australia in 1993 and I have left my heart there but I had some problem with food, especially because I dont eat meat... :-\ Anyway, the recipe is a very good one, is the same one that we pass on in my family from, and I'm not joking, at least a hundred years...  :)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:49 am »
Thanks Bedassi, it's a privilege to share a well used family favorite
Denise

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »
Thanks for your words Bedlam, it's a pleasure!  :-*

Offline Shiraz49

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:47 pm »
Hi Bedidassi,

Thanks for that lovely recipe. I can't wait to try it. I love soup. It is my dream to one day visit Italy. Please keep the italian recipes coming.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:17:44 am »
Good to hear that you are a vegetarian as well, Bedidassi, it means I don't have to think about whether I can somehow convert your recipes into a vegetarian version so that we can eat them.  Australia is a much better country for vegetarian food now than it has been in the past (except in the countryside where they still have a very strong meat based diet and vegetarians are often regarded as some sort of strange species of humanoid!) so the next time you come you should be able to enjoy some wonderful food.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:20:08 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:56 am »
Hi Bedidassi,

Thanks for that lovely recipe. I can't wait to try it. I love soup. It is my dream to one day visit Italy. Please keep the italian recipes coming.

Be sure of it! The only question is if I will be able to let myself understood because sometime I don't know English words for food like stirring or other technical terms  :-\

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:01:16 am »
Good to hear that you are a vegetarian as well, Bedidassi, it means I don't have to think about whether I can somehow convert your recipes into a vegetarian version so that we can eat them.  Australia is a much better country for vegetarian food now than it has been in the past (except in the countryside where they still have a very strong meat based diet and vegetarians are often regarded as some sort of strange species of humanoid!) so the next time you come you should be able to enjoy some wonderful food.

Nice to hear you are vegetarian too but I have to explain that, at least in Italy, we divide vegetarianism in two big branches, vegetalians and vegetarians. The vegetarians (me) eat everything except meat and fish, the vegetalians eat nothing that come from animals, even milk and eggs. I will post some recipe for carnivorous too because Tuscany is famous for meat dishes and I cook meat for my family, even if not so often but don't worry, I will write on top of the recipe if is for vegetarian or not  :-*

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »
Yes. That's it. Did you like Pisa? I've been to Australia in 1993 and I have left my heart there but I had some problem with food, especially because I dont eat meat... :-\ Anyway, the recipe is a very good one, is the same one that we pass on in my family from, and I'm not joking, at least a hundred years...  :)

Our whole family loved Pisa.  What a beautiful city- vibrant and so full of history.  The view from the tower was fantastic after a stormy afternoon (rolling green fields and hills all around with dark blue clouds towering over terra cotta roofs) and we were all quite taken by IL Campo.  Mainly loved strolling trough the streets though! You must be sick of the tourists at times...
Before Pisa we were in Livorno:  fantastic market!  We also stayed in Lucca for 3 nights.  You must have been to the antique market there:  it's sooo good.  And, again, a beautiful town!  You're lucky to live in that part of the world.
Thanks again for your family recipe  :-*

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »

Our whole family loved Pisa.  What a beautiful city- vibrant and so full of history.  The view from the tower was fantastic after a stormy afternoon (rolling green fields and hills all around with dark blue clouds towering over terra cotta roofs) and we were all quite taken by IL Campo.  Mainly loved strolling trough the streets though! You must be sick of the tourists at times...
Before Pisa we were in Livorno:  fantastic market!  We also stayed in Lucca for 3 nights.  You must have been to the antique market there:  it's sooo good.  And, again, a beautiful town!  You're lucky to live in that part of the world.
Thanks again for your family recipe  :-*

Pisa it is a beautiful city with an incredible history and, yes, we are packed up with tourists but they are not the problem. In the last few years we have been literally invaded by clandestine immigrates who come from the sea and then disappear as soon as they arrive. Now I strongly want to make this clear: I'm NOT racist. I've been living in London for 5 years so I know what it means to immigrate but in London I had documents, social security, I was working, paying taxes, respecting English social rules and laws... Letting people come like this, with no rules at all, create delinquency because people come hoping to find a better life but then cannot do regular jobs because without documents and end up robbing, selling drugs and similar. The Italian government, left or right, cannot find a way to solve this problem and we citizen are fed up of following  rules when these rules are not equal to all of us. For example, in Pisa there is a big hospital, Cisanello, with a very big outside car parking. Unfortunately I had to go many times in the last period in this hospital and I was shocked to find that Senegalese people rule over this parking. When you stop the car they come all around you even in groups of 10 and they want to know for how long you need your parking ticket. Then they go to the ticket machine and they use something like a false coin with a sort of lever attached to it and they get the ticket without paying. Then they come back to you and they want the money for the parking ticket plus some more money and you better give them what they want... Last time I went there I was so fed up that when I saw a Municipal police car, I jumped in the middle of the street and I complained about what was happening right in front of their eyes and you know what they told me?"Please, move away from the street because you are causing disturb." that's the way it is. People, police too, are scared and this is a very dangerous situation, let me tell you.
Now enough of this. I tend to forget that this is a recipe forum, not a political one.
You are right, Livorno's Market is a very nice one (I have lived in Livorno for 5 years) and Lucca is a real jewel inside her walls but still, I would rather prefer to live in a less crowded place...

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:05:26 am »
Don't apologise for talking about something that obviously has an impact on your daily life.  No country is perfect.  When I was living in France I was a lot more involved and concerned with how the government was handling things.  Now that I'm in Australia I'm probably a bit too laid back  :-[  But it's also a very different country:  more space, less tension, low crime rate...

Anyway, as you say, let's get back to the main topic:  FOOD !

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »
Don't apologise for talking about something that obviously has an impact on your daily life.  No country is perfect.  When I was living in France I was a lot more involved and concerned with how the government was handling things.  Now that I'm in Australia I'm probably a bit too laid back  :-[  But it's also a very different country:  more space, less tension, low crime rate...

Anyway, as you say, let's get back to the main topic:  FOOD !

If you are French then you know how things work in Europe. Have you seen whats happening in England? Lucky you living in relax in the land of Oz... ;D

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:38:34 pm »
Yep:  wouldn't like to be  in some parts of London, Liverpool, Birmingham,... now.  Scary to see how young some of the rioters are too!