Author Topic: Varoma steamed Corned Beef  (Read 79921 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Varoma steamed Corned Beef
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:11 am »
thanks maddy
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Corned beef or silverside has been immersed in brine for a period of time Amy.

Ah, okay. Thanks JD :-*

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:22 am »
I found this a day late.  :( We had slow cooker corned silverside last night for tea, is Miss 5's favourite meal. Will have to try it this way next time, which probly won't be that far away, as it is the easiest meal that gets no complaints at all - ever!!!! But TM gets used for the mash that we apparently HAVE to have with corned ss!!!! so he's not forgotten!
:D

Offline Queen Be

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:40 am »
Not sure I could give up the slow cooker for this method. I cook corned beef in ginger beer and it's just too yummy to stop.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:34 am »
Not sure I could give up the slow cooker for this method. I cook corned beef in ginger beer and it's just too yummy to stop.

That sounds interesting.  No water,  ginger beer  plus spices? My slow cooker is the oven. When my freezer is  empty I would like to try this as we love ginger here.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Queen Be

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:53 am »

That sounds interesting.  No water,  ginger beer  plus spices? My slow cooker is the oven. When my freezer is  empty I would like to try this as we love ginger here.

Gert

I usually just do a good quality ginger beer making sure it's covered which can be up to 2 bottles, if I have spare carrot, celery and onion I will add but I'm not bothered if I don't. I think there is enough flavour from the beer, but adding some cloves or a bay leaf would not go astray. First time I cooked it for my Dad he stood next to the slow cooker just drinking the cooking liquid with a ladle  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »

Gert

I have never owned a slow cooker so I am thinking. Two bottles of beer with whatever. In a pot covered in  the oven at maybe 100 degrees for 4 hours plus or lower for longer?

Gert
I usually just do a good quality ginger beer making sure it's covered which can be up to 2 bottles, if I have spare carrot, celery and onion I will add but I'm not bothered if I don't. I think there is enough flavour from the beer, but adding some cloves or a bay leaf would not go astray. First time I cooked it for my Dad he stood next to the slow cooker just drinking the cooking liquid with a ladle  ;D
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 11:32:11 am »
FINALLY got around to cooking this tonight ;D I had some trouble with the varoma, the lid just kept rattling and making a horrible noise. We resorted to putting pegs on the sides to hold it down :-))
But the meat was beautiful, perfectly cooked, and I did roast potatoes and pumpkin in our Easycook oven to go with it. I also had some very nice locally grown Brussel sprouts which were yummo on the side :)

A great meal, I'll definitely be doing this one again. Thanks Judy :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 11:54:32 am »
Is that the lid to your veroma Amy.  How long has it been black, mine is clear ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:25 am »
Yes, that is our varoma Judy. The lid has always been black. I promise its not dirt, we do wash it occasionally ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »
When did they change it I wonder?  I think I like my clear one better, you can see what's cooking (not that you need to I guess).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 12:03:36 pm »
Well, we got ours in 2006 Judy. When did you get yours? The clear one does sound handy...

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Looks like Amy has the Stainless Steel varoma Judy.  :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »
Amy does the steam run down the sides of the lid?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:27 pm »
Amy does the steam run down the sides of the lid?

Do you mean does it dribble everywhere? Yes, it does. We end up with puddles all over the bench :-\