Author Topic: "In the Mix: Great Thermomix Recipes"  (Read 42194 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: "In the Mix: Great Thermomix Recipes"
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 08:30:16 am »
jo did you make them with dried chickpeas? I think I remember a few people saying they fell apart but thought it may have been the canned chickpeas
I made them with the canned chickpeas and they fell apart.  Think the mix was way too wet. Poor recipe.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:43 am »
CP I don't have my book at present as I loaned it to a friend - but is it referring to the traditional meaning of siphon to draw off or remove liquid generally through a tube   
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:36 am »
Okay, I asked mum about the falafel, and she said she used tinned chick peas and added a little flour to bind them, rolled them in breadcrumbs & shallow fried them. A little different than the recipe, but not much. Kids loved them.

CreamPuff, the siphon is like a cream siphon - you know the ones that have the little gas bottle and they fluff the cream up as you squirt it out? I think. :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 07:24:52 am »
I'm having a slow look through my book and I'm fairly sure I'll make quite a few things from it. Tonight I'm doing the Pumpkin soup but without the bacon dust as I don't have all the ingredients for that on hand.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 09:40:59 am »
Thanks QC, I also found the defintion under the Glossary. I made the crumpets today, but I made the mix last night and found it very doughy this morning. They were huge  - about the size of an English Muffin. Next time I make them, I may try doing it in the morning and then doing something else for the next hour while it proves so it may have abit more of a pouring consistency. Everyone loved them, and there's none left.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »
I've heard the crumpet recipe is delicious!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:33 am »
It's Thermomixers recipe the same as on here isn't it?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 08:40:05 am »
Dani Valent has posted the following on her In the Mix Facebook page
I've had some feedback about the Carrot Falafel (p148). Some people are saying their falafel are a little bit wet and that they fall apart. Oh no!

Why does this happen? Well, there is variation in the moisture content of this dish, mostly to do with the freshness of the chickpeas and the juiciness of the carrots.

Here's a solution. Use dry uncooked chickpeas not canned. Increase the quantity of rice from 20 grams to 50 grams. Don't agitate the balls in the frypan until the submerged part is golden brown.

I've found that 50 grams of rice means the balls are good to go as soon as they're made but everyone's ingredients will have a little variation.

When forming the mixture into balls, lay them on kitchen paper. If they soak the paper within a few minutes, you need to decrease the moisture content.

How? Either allow balls to drain onto kitchen paper until they stop wetting it or - for those in a hurry ie me, always! - press the whole mixture between a couple of layers of kitchen paper and blot some of the moisture.

I hope this helps and encourages more people to give the falafel a go. They're great! I served them over the weekend with hummus, wraps, lettuce and sliced tomato for an easy picnic-style lunch. Leftover falafel make great lunchbox snacks. If you want extra kick, use a pinch of chilli powder in place of the smoked paprika.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:34 pm »
It's good to know that you can contact the book's author if you're having trouble with a recipe! I don't know of any other authors who would be so generous.

I'm hoping to get a look at this book when my DD has a demo (at my house). Reading about it has peaked my interest. I guess I was just so disappointed with FSA and MWOC that I've avoided any more TMX books.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »
MJ, I agree about the books.  This one beingAussie based may suit us better.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:49 am »
in the mix is totally different to all the other tm books i have - it really shows off what the tm can do.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:09 am »
Gosh I love this forum - such honest reviews (Chookie :-*). My Mum has offered to buy me this book for Christmas and I'm just not sure.  I will continue reading the reviews.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »
Do you really not like MWOC, Megan? I've got lots of favourites in that one! And I love that it has all the photos, and photos of steps for the recipes... which I find frustrating in the EDC as there's not photos for everything. I like photos!! :D But I definitely agree 'In the Mix' is in a class on it's own :) And Dani is VERY generous with her help and advice on the recipes - just go to her facebook page and ask if you have any questions!! https://www.facebook.com/InTheMixGreatThermomixRecipes?ref=ts

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »
I hesitated about buying this book, but like everything TM I crumbled after being given some very lovely recipes on this forum. I do find it very interesting, and whilst some things may not be within my realm one day they will and I can only live and dream. Otherwise I think there are recipes for the relative newbie too.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline DaniValent

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 10:50:47 am »
Hello forum folk,

It's a while since I've been here.

Great to hear all the reports on cooking with In the Mix.

QuirkyCooking, Thanks for re-posting from the book's Facebook page. That's great.

This week's news is that I'll be making three videos to support the book. I look forward to sharing them soon.

Come visit on the Facebook page for more tips and news: http://www.facebook.com/InTheMixGreatThermomixRecipes

...and I'll get back to the Forum soon!

Best
Dani