Author Topic: Black Bean and Beef Nachos from Dinner Spinner  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Black Bean and Beef Nachos from Dinner Spinner
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »
I followed this recipe as closely as possible to give it an accurate review. However I did reduce the amount of Cayenne Pepper to one teaspoon.  I also reduced the amount of corn by 1/2 as DW doesn't like corn. I used dried black beans so I had to soak and cook them which complicated the recipe. I will have to keep an eye out for some canned black beans

I am glad that I did reduce the cayenne as this dish was quite spicy. DW response upon her first taste was "OMG ow ow" and then she grabbed her drink.

On the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed this.  it was spicy but not to much for me and the flavors really complimented each other.  I will make a few changes the next time I make it. I found the mix to be a bit too runny so I will drain any excess liquid after cooking the beef mince. I will also reduce the amount tomato puree.  I like black beans so I will probably double the amount next time.

All in all I liked this and will make it again when DW is away or we are having company that likes spicy food.

Bonsai

Re: Black Bean and Beef Nachos from Dinner Spinner
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:07 am »
Hi Dashingden - the recipe calls for salted black beans (the chinese ones) and I thought that seemed rather strange as this is a Mexican recipe of sorts and would normally call for unsalted beans - I am wondering if black beans cooked from scratch like you did (or cheating from a tin...) is what was really intended. When I get around to making the recipe I'm going with you and using the non-salted ones.

Maybe Tenina can clarify  ???

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:02:17 am »
Good ppoint Bonsai.  I just assumed it used black turtle beans from South America.  I cooked mine in very salted water so they had a bit of a salty taste.

I had some of the left overs for lunch the next day and the chilli seemed to have mellowed.  My DW doesn't do spicy very well. I think I might try adding a little more cayenne next time and maybe some paprika.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:42 am »
I would have used dried beans, but didnt want to lengthen the cooking time by so much, plus soaking etc. I was trying to keep it simple. I prefer the dried beans personally taste wise. More authentic….so up to you.

You must rinse the salted Chinese ones, or they are totally unbearable.

Bonsai

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:29 am »
The app does mention that the black beans are 'rinsed' but I wonder if they should be soaked for about 10 mins to lose the salt? Tinned black beans are available in a lot of shops, but of course salted black beans are even easier to find. Maybe (at a pinch) a substitute of kidney beans would work??? or black eyed peas??

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:08 am »
Kidney beans would work. A lot of texmex uses kidney beans.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:14:08 am »
Kidney beans would work. A lot of texmex uses kidney beans.
Definitely…kidney, or borlotti!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »
Found this recipe to  be another quick and easy, tasty meal.  I used kidney beans and used a tablespoon of cayenne, but no chilli.  It was quite spicy, just about the right heat for me.  I think the little extra flavour touches such as the fresh coriander and lemon juice at the end made the meal made the meal a bit more special.  I served with the avocado and tomatoes and light sour cream, but just put a sprinkle of grated tasty cheese rather than fetta on top. As Dashingden said, the dish is quite soupy, but we were happy to scoop it up with corn chips.

Another quick week day meal! Thanks again Tenina!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria