Author Topic: Basic panna cotta  (Read 35594 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Basic panna cotta
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:11 am »
Name of Recipe:Basic panna cotta.
Number of People:
Ingredients:
600 mls cream (590 g)
1 cup of sugar (210 g) - Uni advises this can be reduced to 1/2 cup if you prefer it less sweet - JD.
1 tlb of vanilla (15 g)

1 cup of milk 250 mls
3 teaspoons of gelatin

Preparation:
Pour milk in a bowl (use a pasta bowl)
Sprinkle gelatin over milk

Add cream, sugar and vanilla in TM bowl
Time 9 min
Heat 100
Speed 2

Add gelatin and milk to the cream mixture
Time 1 min
Heat 100
Speed 2

Photos:

Tips/Hints:I pour mine in a cappuccino cups or a tall glasses
Use more gelatin if you are going to turn it out on to a plate
You can add lemon or orange peel in step 1

Suitable for freezing

This recipe it so versatile

You can add cocoa + orange essences= jaffa
White chocolate
Kahlua
Espresso coffee
Anything that takes your fancy

Adjust the sugar to taste. Example if you add white chocolate you only need 3/4 cup of sugar
My personal favourite is I add a peeled and chopped orange or lemon in the cream mix. on the stove top I would leave to simmer for ½ hour and leave it to infuse over night if possible, or a few hours in the fridge I squash the orange down with a potato masher while still hot

You must strain into a jug before you pour into your cup, glass or moulds.

Members' comments
rubyslippers - I had some cream I wanted to use up last week, so I made this one. I have never had/made panna cotta before.  From what I have heard the consistency was perfect.  It was a little too sweet for me (it did end up with a little extra sugar in though as I was off with the fairies when I weighed it in  Cheesy), so next time I'll try it with less.

Herbal - This is a fabulous recipe - thanks!  Have made it several times now and it has worked without fail every single time.  I've added half a teaspoon more gelatine and they have turned out perfectly after putting them in hot water for about 20 seconds.  I've only done vanilla using vanilla bean paste and it's been a hit every time!

Lemongrass - For those of you who can't get hold of gelatin powder, you can replace the 3 tsp of powdered gelatin with 6 leaves. Just soften them in cold water for 10 minutes. Keep in mind that gelatin leaves should not be brought to a boil, so make sure you bring down your temperature to 80° before you add the leaves to the bowl.
I didn't have enough cream so I used 330ml cream and 300ml milk. It was my first attempt at homemade panna cotta it worked perfectly.  Thank you very very much Fundj.

PS. I topped it with Raspberry coulis. Unfortunately I don't have the Australian EDC so I improvised :
Blitz 200g frozen raspberries, add lemon juice and sugar (80g was too much)
Cook 10mn / 80° / speed 3
It was good but felt a bit gritty on the teeth because of the raspberry seeds.

MEP - I made this on the weekend using thickened cream (the only type available at the shops at the time). While it was delicious to taste, there was two separate layers - the base layer of milk and the top 3/4 layer of a more creamy consistency. Is this because I used the thickened cream or was it because I put the panna cottas into the fridge straight away without letting it cool down on the bench first? Any comments/advice/thoughts would be most welcomed.
Thanks for sharing a fantastically easy recipe.

JulieO - I use the little Nestle plastic moulds which I brush with oil before filling, I find these so easy to use.  Being flexible you only have to gently squeeze the plastic mould which then loosens the filling and they just plop out onto a plate.

DJ - Made a mango version today with things from fridge.

300ml single cream
100 ml double cream
Less than 1/2 cup sugar
I fresh mango puréed.
1 heaped teaspoon vanilla paste.

I cooked these together but got worried when it boiled madly so I stopped and turned the heat off.
Added the milk and soaked gelatine and 200 ml fat free yoghurt.
Blended well, it almost split so poured into 7 ramekins and chilled.
Verdict very good and set well not split at all.
DD and I think 2 mangoes would have been better but the men in the house are not fruity people and loved it. So maybe a mango coulis for those of us that want a bit more fruit.
Will make again, thanks very much.

Suzanne - made this tonight and have it in the fridge for tomorrow it sure tasted delicious so I hope it works, it's my first attempt.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:01:44 pm by judydawn »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Basic panna cotta
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:31:41 am »
This looks lovely. I posted this one ages ago, but it is a 'being good' one. Yours looks delicious.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3357.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:04:43 am »
I had some cream I wanted to use up last week, so I made this one.

I have never had/made panna cotta before.  From what I have heard the consistency was perfect.  It was a little too sweet for me (it did end up with a little extra sugar in though as I was off with the fairies when I weighed it in  :D), so next time I'll try it with less.

Thanks fundj.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:19 am »
Thanks for the recipe. I have always done it with a saucepan, never yet with the TM, so I can't wait to try this one out. I absolutely love using a split vanilla bean and after you scrape out the pod, the vanilla seeds disperse throughout the panna cotta and it looks and tastes lovely. I also need to use my dariole moulds more often!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:51:17 am »
This recipe it so versatile

You can add cocoa + orange essences= jaffa
White chocolate
Kahlua
Espresso coffee
Anything that takes your fancy

Adjust the sugar to taste. Example if you add white chocolate you only need 3/4 cup of sugar
My personal favorite is I add a peeled and chopped orange or lemon in the cream mix. on the stove top I would leave to simmer for ½ hour and leave it to infuse over night if possible, or a few hours in the fridge I squash the orange down with a potato masher while still hot

You must strain into a jug before you pour into your cup, glass or moulds

ciao
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:57:24 pm by fundj »

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:15 pm »
Lovely! Thankyou

Offline gracew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:09:06 am »
Hi, I'm a newbie and tried this panna cotta recipe for the very first time in my life (never ever made one before). Whole family
thought it was awesome. Would like to try some of the variations suggested but not sure if I omit the vanilla bean paste and
 how much coffee , kahlua etc to add ??? Can anyone help me please?

Also, accidentally bought light cream so do I need to add more gelatin to set it?

Thanks

Offline Herbal

• View Profile
    • In The Mix Tricks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:19:32 am »
This is a fabulous recipe - thanks! 

Have made it several times now and it has worked without fail every single time.  I've turned mine out and added half a teaspoon more gelatine and they have turned out perfectly after putting them in hot water for about 20 seconds.  I've only done vanilla using vanilla bean paste and it's been a hit every time!

Herbal

Melbourne, Australia

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:54:31 am »
I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes just play around with gelatin, I add less sugar when I add white chocolate, really nice with lemon or orange essence or with strawberry couli
Ciao   

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:15:49 pm »
For those of you who can't get hold of gelatin powder, you can replace the 3 tsp of powdered gelatin with 6 leaves. Just soften them in cold water for 10 minutes. Keep in mind that gelatin leaves should not be brought to a boil, so make sure you bring down your temperature to 80° before you add the leaves to the bowl.

I didn't have enough cream so I used 330ml cream and 300ml milk. It was my first attempt at homemade panna cotta it worked perfectly.
Thank you very very much Fundj

PS. I topped it with Raspberry coulis. Unfortunately I don't have the Australian EDC so I improvised :

Blitz 200g frozen raspberries, add lemon juice and sugar (80g was too much)
Cook 10mn / 80° / speed 3
It was good but felt a bit gritty on the teeth because of the raspberry seeds

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:10 am »
glad to worked for you  Lemongrass , next time u make it use less sugar if it was to sweet for you my butterscotch panna cotta only has 1/4 cup of sugar.

Offline himeliann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 12:28:31 am »
i tried yesterday, was good but it took ages to set !

how long does it usually take for you ? do you let it set in the fridge or the freezer ?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:25 am »
 I always make panna cotta at least one day before I need it himeliann.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:27:35 am »
Is it possible to make panna cotta without gelatine?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:48:10 am »
How's this one with agar agar Amanda?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.