Author Topic: Herbs and spices  (Read 10034 times)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
Herbs and spices
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:33:58 am »
I don't know if other people know about this site and shop. It looks great!

I have been wanting to invest in good quality herbs and spices and find a portable storage solution as well. This site even has educational videos.
http://www.herbies.com.au/herbies-tv/70-buying-and-storing-spices

BTW can you grind whole spices in the thermomix and make your own groung spices? (newbie question of course!)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Herbs and spices
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:53:18 am »
Yes you can, your Thermomix will grind whole nutmeg!! It's a great way to save some money  :) :) and make blends etc to your own taste WITHOUT any of the packing fillers, anti caking agents etc you get in the commercial stuff - go for it  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:14 am »
He has a new cookbook which has just been released called ""Just add Spice"which was co-written with Lyndey Milan.  Haven't seen it yet but it sounds good.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:48:46 am »
How long do the freshly ground spices keep for?  I don't like the nasties in store bought ground spices, but I also don't like grinding them before each and every recipe. Can you keep them ground in jars for a month or so? :)

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:08:33 am »
I am keeping my eyes out for a good spice storage solution.  I don't like the ones that come pre-labelled,as I would rather pick and choose what I want.  And it has to have lots of room!  And very air tight as we have had issues with pantry moths. 

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
Hi Chelsea, check out the youtube in the link I posted above - it gives you the answers to some of these questions.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »
I've bought from Herbies before. My only complaint is that their postage is over the top. It cost a fortune to send a few 100g of herbs and spices to me. I can get 25kg packages delivered through three states for less.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:39:28 pm »
Thanks Moonmobile.  Herbies is a great source of herbs and spices.  They have stands in a number of stores that I visit in Melbourne  and probably Brisbane.  They are based in Rozelle and it's fun to visit the little shop.

As you say, they answer lots of the FAQs on the site.

But yes MJ - premium pricing for postage  :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:57:48 am »
I have used Herbies stuff for ages now - it is far better than anything in the supermarkets!
As for storage - I came across this the other day
http://www.deliciousdays.com/
and thought it was a great idea!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »
I use those same aluminium tubs for my Clay Masks! I have heaps of them, but I rather like my glass jars. I store them in a plastic drawer unit that sits in my pantry. One side for spices, the other for herbs. I have little round labels that I put on top for easy ID.

Things that don't fit just go in glass jars on my shelves. The pantry is away from light so it works well.

TMixer, wish Herbies had an outlet in WA....
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Herbal

• View Profile
    • In The Mix Tricks
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:31 am »

Hi

I have the tupperware herb/spice canisters and they are sensational.  I've had them a few years and they were expensive, but they are well worth it.  They have two flip top openings, one for pouring for large quantities of spice and one that you use more as a shaker.

I have two sizes - - but I can't for the life of me see what volume they hold.  But I can highly recommend them.  I'd guess .... well actually I have just grabbed an empty one and filled it with water and weighed it in my thermobaby...the large one holds 250ml of water.  I'd guess the smaller one holds half that. 

Not sure what quantities you are thinking of making, but if you're making masses, probably a large tupperware bowl would do the trick. 

And, no, I'm not a tupperware consultant!!  But I do love their stuff!!

Cheers,
Herbal
Herbal

Melbourne, Australia

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:24:39 am »
In WA you can get spices from Whittingtons.com.au. Some of the spices available at Herbies are notavailable at Whittingtons but most of the whole seeds are.

dj

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:49 am »
Thanks ozzie dj! I'll try them instead of Herbies next time!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
Solomon Merchants in Albany have a range or spices and some herbs, smells divine when you  go in there.  :) 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:46:13 am »
I'm afraid I won't buy Whittington's spices anymore. A few years ago I bought some fruit mince and it had a few extras in it.  >:( >:( I also get angry with them as they say they are West Australian and they import most of their stuff and just package it here.
Sorry if I offended anyone but that is one of my soapbox chants.  Please ignore me if I have.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/