Author Topic: Mixed Berry & Apple Pie - with photo  (Read 20984 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Mixed Berry & Apple Pie - with photo
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
MIXED BERRY & APPLE PIE

Pastry
300g Plain flour
60g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
160g cold butter, cut into cubes
2 large egg yolks mixed with 3 tblsp water

Filling
750g mixed berries, I used blackberries, blueberries & raspberries (frozen)
750g Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
100g caster sugar
35g plain flour
Knob butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg yolk, mixed with 1 tblsp water
A little extra sprinkle of sugar on top

Pastry
Place flour, sugar and salt into TM bowl.  Turbo twice to combine.
Add butter and mix 10 secs/speed 5.
Set 20 secs/speed 5 and with blades turning, add the egg & water combo through opening in the lid.
Remove from bowl and bring together with your hands.  Form into a disc, wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge for at least 20 mins.  Take out of fridge 10 mins before rolling out.

Lightly spray a 23 – 26cm tart tin.  Set aside.

On a lightly floured work surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry to a round big enough to line your tin. Gently lift the pastry with a rolling pin and transfer it over the top of the tin.   Press into the tin.  Trim the overhang and knead the scraps into the remaining dough. Place tin in the fridge until needed.

Dust the work surface with flour again and roll out the remaining pastry into a round shape as big as the tin. Using a pastry wheel, cut into ¾ -inch-wide strips. Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Peel, core and quarter apples and place into TM bowl. Chop 2-3 secs/speed 5.  Remove from bowl and place into a large bowl.
Add the berries, sugar and flour, combine gently until well mixed.  Spoon into the tart shell.  Scatter the butter on top.
Arrange the strips over the berries in a lattice pattern, (over and under) pressing the ends onto the pastry rim. Trim any excess pastry.
Brush the lattice with the egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.

Bake the tart for about 45 – 75  minutes, depending on your oven, (and whether you are using fresh or frozen berries) or until the pastry is golden and the juices are bubbling. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.  

Notes:
There's no way I would have been able  to make this using fresh berries, far too expensive, but didn't work out too bad using frozen.  I didn't defrost them first, just took straight from freezer and put into the  bowl with the apples and flour/sugar mixture otherwise they would have broken up too much and gone very mushy.  Depending on what tin you use, mine was only a  shallow tart tin and I had a fair bit of the berry mixture left over.  I quickly returned it to the freezer so I'll be able to make a 2 person tart with the bit of pastry left over also.
The pastry is lovely and very light and it didn't shrink.  Both DH and I loved this and while we had it warm I can imagine it would be just as nice when cold making it perfect if entertaining.

Members' comments
Gralke - thank you once more for a wonderful recipe (and photo). I made this Pie on Sunday and it was wonderful. I must say that I had to transform it into an apple pie as I had no berries but that worked out well. I thought that the pastry was wonderful to work with and did not break at all and the taste was gorgeous. I think that a savory version could be made of the pasty just by omitting the sugar and adding some more salt. One tip. I "stole" some egg/water mixture from the pastry (with no negative side effect) and used this to brush the pastry lattice - that way I was able to save an eggyolk.

isi - I made this pie today and I can say it was divine!
Everyone loved it!  I did Half Apple / Half raspberries (frozen but of the Garden)
No doubt I will repeat many times! The Dough has a wonderful texture - Beautiful and so tasty! Thank you for this delight

C00kie - JulieO I made this yesterday. The taste is really lovely and the pastry was easy to work even though it was very hot. (I just had to be quick) I did make one mistake though. I put all the fruit mix in, thinking 'oh, my tin is big enough'. Well it wasn't. I had to clean the oven, floor and everything else. I also found that mine seemed to have juice left after cooking.  Possibly because I had put too much fruit in.  Next time I make it I'll be a little more careful.  Everyone loved it though.

bigTcup - Thank you for this recipe Julie...this is the second recipe that I have tried from this forum and both have been your recipes and both have been fantastic.  Thank you for your cooking dedication and sharing your ideas with us all.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:05:11 pm by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Mixed Berry & Apple Pie - with photo
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:45 am »
Your just too clever!!  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:56 am »
Bravo JulieO - I get excited when I see a thread with your name and the word 'photo' in it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:17:14 pm »
Thanks again JulieO. This will definitely be made on Wednesday night. We have friends coming round for a BBQ and they love the TMX. I know whatever we have they will ask if I made it in the TMX. They've tried most of my 'flash' desserts so this is what I'll make this time.  I think I'll make some icecream to go with it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:46:50 pm »
Thanks girls, it's been a while  :D

Cookie, I hope you like it.  I served a dollop of cream with ours, ice cream would also be good as well as custard.  I may make a half serve of the TM custard tomorrow night to have with it after tea.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:50:34 am »
Good work JulieO - you really are a great ambassador for our obsession  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:51:39 am »
Yum! Yum! It look wonderful!!!!

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:06 am »
Mmmmmm.  That looks so good.  I am going to have to try that this week.  Thanks so much.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »
Dear JulieO, thank you once more for a wonderful recipe (and photo). I made this Pie on Sunday and it was wonderful. I must say that I had to transform it into an apple pie as I had no berries but that worked out well. I thought that the pastry was wonderfull to work with and did not break at all and the taste was gorgeous. I think that a savory version could be made of the pasty just by omitting the sugar and adding some more salt. One tip. I "stole" some egg/water mixture from the pastry (with no negative side effect) and used this to brush the pastry lattice - that way I was able to save an eggyolk.
Anyway here are some photos:

Actually JulieO, I was so bold to post this recipe on a Portuguese forum I write on occasionally - I linked the recipe back to here, hope you don't mind. (http://bimby4all.livreforum.com/tartes-f31/tarte-de-frutos-silvestres-de-maca-t2860.htm#26426)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:38:24 pm by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »
Gralke, that looks fantastic! I like how you have practically covered the whole top with pastry, I will do that too next time as there is enough pastry.   I was already planning on making it with all apple because I love apple pie more than any other.  I bet rhubarb & apple would be good too (especially with custard)   :D

Please report back if you make a savoury version, I'd love to hear about it, and good save re the egg.  ;D

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:36 pm »
Thanks for you comment  ;)
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:33 pm »
Good work Gralke - nothing better than a photo to show your appreciation.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:30:37 am »
Gralke, lovely pie and photo. A photo always seems to make things more real. I must get my act into gear and put more photos, I'm still learning so it takes me a while. Practise will make perfect.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:55:53 am »
Hello!

This is going to be the first Recipe I am going to do from this Forum!!!
I will give news.......
 :) :) :) :)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:36:44 am »
I was really pleased with the outcome of this lovely recipe. Thank you again JulieO. I was amazed how easy it was to handle the pastry - I think everybode has had bad experiences with pastry being too short and breaking everytime you roll and try to turn...... I was able to transfer the pastry in one go to the tart tin without it breaking or falling into pieces. Great Pastry and great recipe!!!!
Barbara