Author Topic: In the Mix - links to reviews  (Read 21763 times)

Offline Herbal

• View Profile
    • In The Mix Tricks
Re: In the Mix - links to reviews
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:38 am »
Just made the White Bean Soup with dried beans.  It's a lovely, thick, creamy soup.  Can't get one of my pics small enough to put on here, but check out pics and comments at www.inthemixtricks.com

You'd have to substantially reduce the liquid amount if you were using tinned cannellini beans - but probably keep the same amount of stock concentrate?  Now I know what to compare it to, I'll try it with canned beans in the next week or so...

Herbal

Melbourne, Australia

Offline STD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »
I'm slowly coming round to using this book more - had the spag bog last week and would leave out a couple of things next time - just my tastes!

Sam :)

Offline alioc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:53 am »
Hmmm... I'm not so sure about this book. None of these recipes has blown me away, despite being a reasonably competent cook pre-TMX and now being quite confident with my kitchen buddy. It's making me reluctant to do the more complex and expensive dishes as I don't want to waste ingredients on a mediocre recipe. Is anyone else having similar experiences or is it just me?

I've made the following recipes:

Hainanese Chicken Rice
Okonomiyaki
White Bean Soup (see upthread for disaster story)
Broccoli Pesto

I notice not many people have tried the more complicated ones either... have I just picked the duds from the book? Or is the book in need of some serious editing?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:53:41 am »
Alioc and others, could you please start a new topic in Recipe Book Recipe Reviews when commenting on any recipe from one of the books.  If the review is placed in the same thread as the book, it cannot be linked to the list already there and has to be moved to the correct place for me to do so.  Postings placed under the list of recipes done can only have the text copied and placed in the correct place for linking but then it sometimes give the impression the review is mine.  When reviews are done, they appear after the long list of recipe books as these are stickied to stay where they are - any new reviews follow on after the books so are on page 2 of that section. You don't have to go to page 2 though, just bring up the recipe review thread and start a new topic - it will automatically go in place after the books.  I find any new recipe reviews and then link them to the original list. Always check the list to see if what you are reviewing is already on there and just add yours to the other reviews. I hope this is clear, I know it is a bit confusing but it works,  believe me. You mentioned having done other recipes from this book so perhaps you could do a review of those and you will see what I mean.  I have transferred a copy of your White Bean review from this page to the correct place.
Everyone appreciates reviews from the books and most people check these lists before embarking on a new recipe.  Thanks everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 10:44:30 am »
I have got 2 copies of in the mix (got one off a friend and one free with my thermie) so if someone wants one its going free!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »
That's very kind of you jayson but if you find someone in Australia who wants it, be warned that the postage is almost as expensive as the book ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Hi - just came across this interview with Dani Valent about her book and thought this thread would be a good place to share it:

http://gastroscenti.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/in-the-mix-cookbook-qa-with-dani-valent/
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Susie B

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 05:49:55 am »
Hi All

Made the Scallop Mousseline with lemon caper sauce,   This is so nice very rich.   so easy and very impressive.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 05:51:17 am »
Thanks. This would be handy over the festive season with all the visitors.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
Congratulations on your success with the Scallop Mousseline, Susie B.  I tried it and couldn't get it to set.  I used six large dariole moulds as given in the recipe but found that in order to fit into the Varoma they got out of shape. 

Did you serve it warm or cold?  Your photo is beautiful.  Well done on that as well as your cooking.

I will try this again but my first effort was a flop. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline beaniegoesnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:33 am »
I really love in the mix. its my fav thermomix cookbook out of my limited stash (not counting edc for basics)
My go to recipes from it are the ganache balls (so gorgeous for gifts), yoghurt, and the white chocolate mousse with passionfruit curd and coffee crumb (although i make a cocoa crumb instead)- it looks so stunning and it tastes like a dream.
I think these recipes work best if you use quality ingredients which can be a bit expensive and daunting if you're on a budget and concerned about wasting money on an untested recipe but so far its been worth it.