Author Topic: Lambs - alive  (Read 16065 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Lambs - alive
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:04:44 am »
Hello all,
well we have just had a week old baby lamb delivered (was going to be put down and was too cute for that  :-)) ) but now... how do we care for it???
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanx.  :)
:D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: Lambs - alive
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:08:53 am »
This should help you
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lifestyle-file/livestock-a-pets/sheep/item/142-hand-rearing-lambs.html

Just watch out though as sometimes one lamb on its own doesn't do so well. Two is better. They are flock animals.

Good luck and have fun.

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:09:15 am »
Oh my!! I've no idea. Maybe like a baby.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:14:47 am »
This should help you
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lifestyle-file/livestock-a-pets/sheep/item/142-hand-rearing-lambs.html

Just watch out though as sometimes one lamb on its own doesn't do so well. Two is better. They are flock animals.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank  you very much for that link DJ - a great help. Poor little thing was starving.  :( . It was a twin but the owners are not sure where the other one is... ??? Think it may have been stolen.  >:(  We are now hoping to get another one for company - and to stop the girls fighting over who's lamb it is...!!  ;)
:D

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
astarra, our neiighbour used to raise orphan lambs. To help keep them warm she used to put small childrens knitted jumpers on them, there front legs going into the arms.  Was quite cute seeing these litte lambs in the garden with different coloured jumpers on. You can buy special powderd milk from fodder stores. Good luck. 

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:48:19 am »
Yes you definitely need the special lamb milk for them other wise the scour and it can be hard to control once that starts. We keep weak lambs inside near the fire to keep them warm until they have the strength to cope out side. The powdered milk has all the info on it about how much to feed them and how often depending on their age.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:00:09 am »
Not a clue :)

But I am sure I could fit the lamb in bed & we woud all sleep well. :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
We had orphan lambs as kids. You will be amazed at how strongly they can pull on the teat of the bottle you feed them on.

We have a friend who gives her orphan lambs names like, Rosemary, Stewart and Roast. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:13:11 am »
Lol. We usually have a few every year. We get them better then try to give them back to their mums or adopt them to another mother that has lost a lamb. They are very demanding and noisy when they want their bottle. I had one called Charlie last year and he was great. He followed us everywhere. I even took him to school one day (Mary had a little lamb lol) the kids loved him. :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:02 am »
Oh and if you buy lambs milk I would suggest you don't buy the one with molasses in it. We brought it and it's horrible stuff and our lambs kept killing over :(
I will never buy that stuff again. My mum had the same problem.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:27:18 am »
Keep it warm, probably inside by the fire.  Buy the special milk.  Have raised quite a few black lambs.  The kids always named them , we had  twins called Cid Vicious and Percy.  When we had just one lamb,  we would have to take it back to Melb.  With us.  It would sit between DH and I in the front of the car,  and the Dog would sit between the kids in the back.  We sure got some funny looks.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »
Lol. We usually have a few every year. We get them better then try to give them back to their mums or adopt them to another mother that has lost a lamb. They are very demanding and noisy when they want their bottle. I had one called Charlie last year and he was great. He followed us everywhere. I even took him to school one day (Mary had a little lamb lol) the kids loved him. :D
Yes they have a good set of lungs on them when they are hungry (despite how weak they are, and no matter what time of day or night) hey dede?!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »
sounds fun.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
Just like real babies :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:54 pm »
I once had a very sick little lamb (one of triplets and very very small) that I left inside in a box near the fire. I went somewhere for an hour or so and come home to a lamb missing from the box. After a search of the house I found it (and it's poo) in one of the bedrooms wandering around looking for a drink. :)
Just when you think they are going to die they come to life and become healthy lambs in no time. :)
Oh and just for the record we never eat any if our pet lambs :D