Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496157 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2012, 10:26:27 am »
Awesome ;D And I think I can help.

I can see straight away why you're getting that energy low in the afternoons. Have you heard of the Glycemic Index (GI)? Its basically a rating system of how carbohydrates affect our blood sugar. Low GI foods release sugar slowly into the bloodstream while high GI foods release it quickly. High GI foods are the ones that give us that energy boost but then leave us feeling crappy.
Low GI = 55 and below.
High GI = 70 +

Jasmine rice has a GI of 109. So you can see it has an extremely high rating. If you try Basmati rice (GI = 58) or Doongara rice (GI = 56) you'll probably find your energy will last a bit longer ;)

In regards to your snack, almonds are a great choice of protein to have with your apple, just remember that 30g is a serve. Otherwise you could have a low-fat, low-sugar yoghurt. Its also good to have a small snack in the afternoons, just to keep you going until dinner time. Do you do that?

If its the only one you like, then thats fair enough to me ;)

My next Healthy Food Guide snippet was going to be on the Glycemic Index, so you've already got a headstart on it ;D

Hope this healp Tasty :-*

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:37 am »
I've started using brown rice and only have 1/4 cup, I have a morning and afternoon snack, 12 almonds or a rice cake with 2 tspns peanut butter, sometimes a protein bar. Keeps me going to the next meal. It makes a difference upping the protein, don't get as hungry any more.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »
Yep I find I'm hungry in the afternoon too, I either go for yogurt or a home made muesli bar, or banana etc. just to keep me going till dinner :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »
Amy - Thanks so much for your help. I didn't realise there was a huge difference in GI between jasmine rice and basmati. Will change to basmati from now on as they're pretty much the same to me. Haven't heard of the other one. I think I might even try and include more brown rice in my meals now that I am learning to like it.

Jeninwa and dede - thanks for your snack suggestions. Yoghurt doesn't quite fill me up but I have been meaning to make muesli bars for weeks. I'll have todefinitely give this protein thing a go. What do you do for after dinner snacks?

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »
You're welcome Tasty :D I'll just let you ladies know though that brown rice has a GI rating of 68, so it's not high, buts it's not low either :-))

It has been proven that a high-protein, low-GI diet is the most effective way to lose weight long term. So upping the protein is a good idea, as long as it is lean/low-fat and you don't go too overboard. The body isn't built to store protein, so consuming too much can be detrimental to your health. I'm going to post about the high-protein, low-GI "diet" soon, when I get all the information together for you :)

I'll also post some more healthy snack ideas if anyone is interested, and I'll include how many kilojoules they contain so you know exactly how much you're eating. Then you can see the difference in kilojoules between some foods. Its quite amazing :o

I have heaps of these magazines and they have mountains of information in them, so if anyone else has something specific they'd like to know, just give me a shout ;D

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:57 pm »
I always choose low gi foods. It is better for my thyroid and PCOS. I choose sweet potato over normal potato.

I have a diabetes cookbook with lots of low gi recipes in it. Will post them when I get time. Also taste.com.au  has some low gi recipes.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:29 am »
I have a diabetes cookbook with lots of low gi recipes in it.

Which cookbook do you have DG? We have a few because my step-father has type 1 diabetes.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2012, 12:55:07 am »
Amy, I will have a look when I get home tonight.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:04 am »
Cool bananas, thanks DG :-*

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2012, 02:19:46 am »
Yah! 700g loss this week. 100g last week that is total of 800g. Happy with anything as long as it is a loss!

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2012, 02:25:00 am »
Great work CGL!!! Well done :D :D :D :D :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2012, 03:44:09 am »
Well done CGL, bet your over the moon with that.
:D

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2012, 05:44:29 am »
Well done CGL :) :) :)

I think it's helping me having you guys for support, ideas and to be accountable to. Thanks for starting the thread Mandi :D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2012, 05:50:44 am »
Great work CGL  ;D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:31 am »
I'm glad I started this thread and that you guys joined me. Does keep me motivated too.
So thank you guys for joining me :D