Author Topic: Using recipes from a bread machine book  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Queen Be

• View Profile
Using recipes from a bread machine book
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:41:11 am »
I have a recipe book which I picked up at Aldi a while ago for bread in a bread machine. Some of the recipes look lovely but I have not been using the bread machine as my kids don't like the shape of the bread that it makes  :-))  fussy 3 and 5 year olds! Now that I have ordered a nice loaf tin with a lid so I can make sandwich bread for school lunches I am looking at the recipes in the book again.

Most of the recipes state that they make a loaf from 800-900g and use 500g of flour. I have been looking at the bread recipes in the EDC and there are a few different  :: times in the different recipes. My question is if there is a general rule for how long I should knead for different styles or bread? For example do wholemeal loaves require more or less than white, or is it simply trial and error and experience?

Hope this makes sense   :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using recipes from a bread machine book
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:49:19 am »
Queen Be, have a look at Chookie's no fuss roll recipe and use that for your bread making to start with. Chookie uses this recipe for rolls, bread sticks, pizza bases, scrolls and loaves.  I cook a loaf for 20 minutes/200oC, remove it from the tin and give it another 5-10 minutes on oven rack to crisp the bottom.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Using recipes from a bread machine book
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »
Good advice Judy.  Queen Be,  most of the recipes in Bread Machine books are based on a basic recipe with seeds, grains , spices or fruit added.  Sometimes also oil and/or egg, and extra sugar.  Knead 4/6 minutes, double rise, and bake as Judy suggests.  It is the liquid that is the variable,  not the kneading time.  Wholemeal, Rye and grain usually need a bit more liquid.  Hope this helps.