Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 803667 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1200 on: July 31, 2012, 04:29:23 am »
Gert I need to get the pantry down, sick f kocking things over etc. amazing I ave hardly bought any tinned for or much packaged since the start if the callenge, but I dint see any soaces :o

I do only  have 3 pkts of spaghetti now instead of 6 or 7, no tinned tomatoes, no chickpeas, so it must be going down. Still very full looking :o

Come on Kath, you can do it.

If I stick to my dairy ony, I should easily rock in under $50. DH needs more of his lowering cholestral margarine, milk, some yogurt & probably a few veg & that would be it. i hope to do it :)

I might look at doing the dairy challenge monthly, it seems to help in reducing pantry stocks.

Gone this week, 5 tins & 1 dolmio  jar so far ;D ;D

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 31, 2012, 04:41:12 am »
I am going to do a full pantry inventory and then menu plan around that.

I have so much pasta, and dolmio sauces, tinned stuff too.

I have used 3 tins of veges so far this week.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 31, 2012, 04:41:45 am »
Well done Hally! Good to get rid of pantry items. This week I've spent 111.46 so under my 120 budget! I thought I'd be under so splurged a bit on Atlantic salmon for tonight's dinner - nearly $10 for 2 small pieces! 😒
My pantry's not too bad, but I need to clear out my freezer - it's only small but I still have no idea what's in there.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 01, 2012, 03:07:16 am »
I bought 20 kilos of fish yesterday, but otherwise have not spent a cent since last Friday..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 01, 2012, 05:29:03 am »
OMG 20 kilos what are you going to do with that much fish?

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 01, 2012, 05:30:56 am »
OMG 20 kilos what are you going to do with that much fish?

Obbie will freeze it into portions :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 01, 2012, 05:33:02 am »
Just spent $7.11 on dairy & few (very few) veg. So total for week so far is $20  :)
Also bought bulk chicken :)

Hm :)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:30 am »
I have been "lurking" and reading this thread with interest, and would love to give it a try, but have had no luck with menu planning the few times I have given it a try.  My problem is with left-overs ........ my 2 DS's are such unpredictable eaters - one day they eat bowls full, and other days barely anything.  So when I cook a meal, it may last one meal or several. And then I end up with all sorts of little dribs and drabs in the freezer that are too good to chuck out, but not enough to feed us for a meal.

Also, I am very embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how much money we spend on groceries at the moment  :-[ :-[

Karen in Adelaide

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:05 am »
KarenH, you can do this. Look through your  freezer for meat, chicken, mince, sausages etc, look at recipes that use what you have & menu plan around that.

The dairy challenge this week has been a huge eye opener for me, 5 tins 1 dolmio sauce down, would be lucky to normally  use 2. Its a bit more time consuming, but I have all my menu plans on paprika app so I can  go always go back there to look for inspiration.

Once you get into it, is easy.

Are you coming to the retreat?

H :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »
KarenH, you can do this. Look through your  freezer for meat, chicken, mince, sausages etc, look at recipes that use what you have & menu plan around that.

The dairy challenge this week has been a huge eye opener for me, 5 tins 1 dolmio sauce down, would be lucky to normally  use 2. Its a bit more time consuming, but I have all my menu plans on paprika app so I can  go always go back there to look for inspiration.

Once you get into it, is easy.

Are you coming to the retreat?

H  maybe those of us on the retreat  can take a small VDO with our IPads to compare. LOL!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:06:41 pm by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 01, 2012, 01:41:17 pm »
Karen,
Join us! I'm terrible at menu planning too, but I've managed to stick to budget for the last 6 or 7 weeks. I never used to pay attention to how much I spent on food until I started this.  I have lots of leftovers in my freezer, but I freeze them in single serves so I can take them to work for lunch or we can  have a leftover night where everyone gets to choose something different.
I bought 2 free range chickens this week for $10 and managed to stretch it to 4 meals and a couple of lunches for me. We had roast chicken two nights, fried rice  and sprig rolls,  and then chicken and rice soup. It was really good for the budget, but hasn't helped use up the food in my freezer or in the cupboards.
I did discover tonight that I have no tins of tomatoes left . Luckily I still have a few fresh tomatoes leftover from the 10kg box I bought the other week. I seem to have lots if tins of bean instead.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

mcmich

« Reply #1211 on: August 01, 2012, 10:37:44 pm »
After tonight I will have no meat left in the freezer. Only 2 small packages of bacon. Although I still have a 4 litre tub of ice cream, don't know how much is in it, a pkt of crumpets, 3 lentil and pumpkin patties, a frozen potato bake, peas, corn and puff pastry. Hoping to fit this all in the kitchen freezer which is tiny and defrost the drawer freezer on Saturday.

Spent $68 this week.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #1212 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »
Grocery shopping today for me, I haven't kept an eye on my spending but pretty sure it would be under budget as I walk everywhere now and don't buy unnessasary items from the shop
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 01, 2012, 11:37:09 pm »
Gert, what is vdo??

Mcmich, i can see a pasta dish, bacon, peas & corn to start :)

ES, yes I am out if tinned timatoes, but till have alternatives :) if they are on spcial I might buy 2, but dont need any this week.

Dede, you always coe in under budget, your very good.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:44 am »
Video H VDO.

On the IPad  a small movie.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.