Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 801148 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:27 am »
Just done the same  with my car  ins. Dh saved $128, mine was $87, $215 in total saved from our car ins, that buys a whole lamb,  ;D
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »
Will remember to ask for a discount when our insurances are due later in the year, we insure 3 cars, 1 motor bike and 1 yacht plus the house and contents.
This week I am over by $22.75 had to buy fish and meat, DH has been good and has stayed away from the shops, he is still munching his way through all the junk food, I have been good and havent had any.

I menu planned  this week before shopping and stuck to the list, and the menu plan. Have plenty of veg left so wont need to buy much next week.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »
I was tracking really well this week. DH messaged me at work to see if I wanted anything as he was off to the shopping centre. I asked him to get some bread. Problem is, he bought Nutella, soft drink and other "stuff". (I have the ingredients to make "Nutella", so didn't have it on my list). I asked him for the receipt, but he didn't keep it.
I think that the best that I can do is add the cost of the Nutella to next week's shopping tally. He thinks it cost about $7.
I ended up going to the supermarket myself tonight as I have to work tomorrow. I spent about $41, so if I add the Nutella as well, I've spent about $48. I still need to go to the market on the weekend, and it's school holidays next week.
Anyway, back to this week... My total (without the Nutella) was $134.20. Under budget by 80 cents.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:03 am »
Well Iam over by $20, but I do have my DD staying with us over the uni break, and my pantry was way down so I was quite happy with what I got. This is such an eye opener and I can't believe how much I have enjoyed doing this challenge. Now I just have to work out some of the pantry items that I had to have and now I have no idea why I had to have it LOL

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 29, 2012, 03:55:13 am »
I have done all my shopping for the week. Came in at $99.25.

Next week I might have to do a fortnight shop or the majority of it.

I have no car for the first week of the school holidays & I also have eb with us. So for the 2 weeks my combined will be $235.

:)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #755 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:48 am »
My budget is going to be $200 from the 1/7/12-15/7/12 and $200 from 16/7/12  - 31/7/12. Wish me luck and good planning :)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:19 am »
Well Coles had Diet Coke on  sale for  $40 for 72 cans so of course I bought it.  I drink only one or two cans a week and buy it mainly for my wonderful cleaner Maria. I always leave some in the fridg for her along with mini Mars bars.

I digress. Although coke will last me many months but it was on this weeks shop so my total forthe week was @$88.52 and I am not going out of  the house tomorrow.

I think my freezer holds more than I thought but surely I must be near the duck. Then I can go shopping but not for much.

So,H that is my score for this week $88.52.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:33 am »
Gretchen, that's so good.
I will check out my pantry tomorrow, then menu plan for the week, and shop Sunday...
Don't need much, apart from veges...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:25 am »
Talking about pantries and hoarding food, I have one cupboard that is just chock-a-block with tins and jars of food. I wanted to cook tuna mornay for dinner. I could only find one tin of tuna and one tin of sweet corn, but there are tins and tins of beans, lentils and tomatoes. I dare not count them. I am determined to reduce this cupboard by at least half before this challenge is over. I'm tempted to post a photo, but I just can't bear to! ???

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:22 am »
Come on Sue show us what you've got.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »
DH thinks I'm crazy taking a picture of a food cupboard

It's the cupboard over the fridge, and it is FULL!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »
ES, at least  its tidy & organised. Mine is shocking!!! I tidy it up & a week later with everyone searching for things its a mess again.

The challenge seems to be working well for everyone.

With the insurance saving & food for 5 weeks, we have saved approx $1,100, a huge saving.

So for me its my new way of shopping & of course looking at reducing  any bills.

Just started menu planning for 2 weeks, finding 2 weeks hard. 1 week I can  manage but 2 is harder to think that far In advance.

:)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 29, 2012, 12:47:58 pm »
H. I've just fell off the couch laughing. Tidy? Organised? Ha ha
It's just chockkas.
I couldn't plan my meals two weeks in advance. I just couldn't get my head around that. I still haven't made anything with the beef cheeks I planned to use this week.

mcmich

« Reply #763 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:10 pm »
Just started menu planning for 2 weeks, finding 2 weeks hard. 1 week I can  manage but 2 is harder to think that far In advance.

I can only plan 1 weeks worth of meals too. Way too hard to think what I will cook in a fortnights time.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:18 pm »
Sue something has to be done.  :o  You can't possibly reach the back. What is  there?  Love it. Mystery cans sitting in he d ark envying those in the front or not!

I have never actually planned for meals more than a day or two ahead unless it is a dinner party and I usually change my mind anyway. What I feel like cooking when  I go shopping  never results in those meals, like your beef cheeks Sue. LOL!  Now they would,be good in a slow cooker or PC.

I wish I had a pantry and cold larder like the MasterChefs.

Gert